German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread requesting information on Show Line (West German or otherwise) breeders in the West. (I'm located in Oregon)

I know that this site has a heavy Working Line preference and prefers German Show Lines if any show lines at all.

American Show Lines seem to hit the bottom of the list (likely due to health issues historically, extreme sloping, and little regard for stability of temperament).

However, I was curious if anyone here knew of any reputable American Show Line breeders? I'm not necessarily getting an ASL (I'm DEFINITELY leaning toward WGSL at this point in time), but I would like to talk to some reputable breeders (who care a lot about temperament and health). Bonus points if they're in the West.

There is no harm in reaching out, right? Hopefully I can get some real responses, haha. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Well, I’ll start by saying I don’t personally know anyone in your area with GSDs. I’m in Oklahoma. I can recommend breeders in western Oklahoma (Stillwaters German Shepherds) and in northeast Texas (Windmill German Shepherds). You can find both of them on Facebook. Both health test, OFA, show, dogs have good temperaments. In fact I just spent the weekend at a dog show with both these breeders, and I’ve spent time around a lot of their dogs.

I have ASLs and am currently showing one who just turned two. She’s ridiculously fun and athletic. Fabulous temperament.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you google washington state german shepherds you will come up with quite a few breeders. Some might be what you are looking for. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
I’m at the eastern end of the u.s. you can look to see any show/events in your area on the link attatched and meet breeders and their dogs. I have American show line- max my heart dog. Great family dog. No health issues. Stable. Sound. Even though he is bonded to me he is still engaging with the kids and enjoys them. He enjoys practicing/ learning things with great focus and enthusiasm, has heathy energy and settles nicely in home.
https://www.gsdca.org

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
However, I was curious if anyone here knew of any reputable American Show Line breeders? I'm not necessarily getting an ASL (I'm DEFINITELY leaning toward WGSL at this point in time), but I would like to talk to some reputable breeders (who care a lot about temperament and health). Bonus points if they're in the West.
I'm in the Midwest. I'd defer to dogfaeries for anything in the western US, because I just don't know anyone out there. I don't tell people who my breeder is, but I could point you toward a few in the Minneapolis-St. Paul and Wisconsin clubs I might talk to. Part of this is that what I want isn't necessarily what you want.

What I have is a rock solid but opinionated girl who is chill in the house during the day (one of us is a full time telecommuter) and who is up for just about anything when we ask, "Hey do you want to _____?" She's generally social, tends to be either friendly or neutral to most people and dogs. She goes to daycare, dog parks, she's gone to Nosework camp, and I've used her as a test dog for a rescue intake, and she's done very well with/around dogs in all of those places. I can take her just about anywhere, and in my dog-friendly city, I typically do. I don't know if she would have the kind of drive needed to be a service dog. She is also kind of a busy dog, although I don't know if I'm being unfair to describe her as such because she's been taught that 5-10:30 PM is her time, and I don't ask her to settle without exercise unless I'm not feeling well. We joke that she loves very violently, as it typically involves her shoving some body part of hers into one of ours without realizing that two objects cannot occupy the same space. She is not cuddly. Not even a little. (That probably varies by individual.) I think my very favorite thing about her is that she is such a solid trial dog: I can take her to a trial and she is completely chill until it's time to go into a search area and then she's on. I bring her out afterward and she goes right back to mellow. She is so EASY to trial because of that.

My dog is a 75% American/25% German show line cross. There are some ASL breeders who are bringing WGSLs into their programs, and I'm a big fan of the results I've seen.

You're welcome to send me a PM. I don't check the forum often, so that's the best way to reach me (the app will push an alert to my phone). If my dog sounds anywhere close to what you're looking for, I can go into more detail. Otherwise I can give you the names of some breeders that I think do a good job, and you can look into the ones that interest you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts