German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I was wondering, how bad would it be for a puppy to repeat one or two of his vaccines?

Look I had a puppy that according to his vet developed Parvo after being vaccinated and never touched a park. I consulted with two other vets, I am still waiting for our appointment with the holistic one, but the two others both said my puppy did have parvo but in a really low low level cause of vaccination, though, one of them mentioned that probably one of his vaccines may have been wrongly applied or something like that. He insisted, that there most have been a mistake in his vaccination, and that we can re-vaccinate (reinforce) before he goes to the parks. I know that according to some of you he did not have parvo, but I do not think I can keep discussing that with every vet in the city, I have started to sound crazy, so, I just want to avoid any other disease.

Last year, a friend of mine lost her GSD of 8 months to distemper (moquillo), and I have been thinking about it. I have OCD, so I over think things. So, what if I have him re- vaccinated as one of the vets mentioned? Just to make sure he does not get anything when taking him to the park and places with other dogs, he would be better off I guss... Would it hurt him to re-vaccinate? Should I better wait for the holistic (cowboy) vet to see us?

In advance thank you.

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Did you do a titer to see if he has the antibodies?

Personally, I would either titer or vaccinate.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I mentioned wanting to do a titer for Nyx before giving her the 1 yr booster. But the price was just freaking insane! I was told they only do titers for a specific disease, so parvo was $250, distemper was, if I remember right just a bit cheaper $210, and then there were 2 other diseases covered by the vaccine that would have made titering for the things covered by the vaccine around $850! The vaccine was $29.

I opted for the vaccine...

Not saying you should in this case OP, just sharing my experience with my vet.

Reactions: CAROLINM

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mentioned wanting to do a titer for Nyx before giving her the 1 yr booster. But the price was just freaking insane! I was told they only do titers for a specific disease, so parvo was $250, distemper was, if I remember right just a bit cheaper $210, and then there were 2 other diseases covered by the vaccine that would have made titering for the things covered by the vaccine around $850! The vaccine was $29.

Sounds like it was the more practical choice. I did ask for the titer thing, I got instead some other tests... My vet did not accept that our vaccination from before could had a mistake. The other vets seemed reluctant to throw it just because, one of them insisted on the re-vaccination, though.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

That's just insane pricing. 3 years ago I asked about titers at my VCA vet who we all know are pricey compared to other vets and they quoted me something like $150 for the Parvo/distemper titer. I have access to a military vet (I understand most don't) and they did the Antech parvo/distemper titer for $56.00 I would call around and see if you can find a cheaper price if you want to titer.

Resources:
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/an-inexpensive-tool-to-reduce-pet-vaccinations/
https://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/lab/cavids/titer-testing-details/

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Auburn University does parvo and distemper for just over $100. If your vets are charging more than that then you are being ripped off.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Carol, what isn't clear from your post is whether you've already done the core puppy series with boosters...or you just did 1 (without the booster) because illness followed.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

Those prices are assinine. I know a dog who has her titres for distemper/parvo AND rabies sent to Dodds from Canada. Even with shipping and US exchange rate the bill was hundreds of dollars cheaper than that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carol, what isn't clear from your post is whether you've already done the core puppy series with boosters...or you just did 1 (without the booster) because illness followed.

I took a look at the vaccination book, he had 5 shots at the time of the "parvo", one is the vaccine and at least one booster for parvo (I did not see all of the applications, the same book was used by his breeder, I just continued with it).

I attached the photo, not the dates,... He got the Giardia one like two saturdays ago (not before the weird parvo).

At this point I do not think I will be back to his original vet, he was more expensive than the rest, so I trusted him and his team, but now, not anymore (he insisted on the Proplan food over and over, and now, this week he got parasites, and he wants to move him for the rest of his life to Royal Canin Gastro instestinal he said "just in case because he is a shepherd"... )

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those prices are assinine. I know a dog who has her titres for distemper/parvo AND rabies sent to Dodds from Canada. Even with shipping and US exchange rate the bill was hundreds of dollars cheaper than that.

I am in Mexico, not sure that would work for me though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Auburn University does parvo and distemper for just over $100. If your vets are charging more than that then you are being ripped off.

I am in Mexico, but we do have veterinarian school here in my city, so I might check some stuff there.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
So the first one covered Parvo, hepatitis, adenovirus and distemper.

Second was parvo, adenovirus, distemper and canine influenza,

Third was parvo

And then a fourth for all of the above?

How old is this puppy?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So the first one covered Parvo, hepatitis, adenovirus and distemper.

Second was parvo, adenovirus, distemper and canine influenza,

Third was parvo

And then a fourth for all of the above?

How old is this puppy?

Fourth is for a different disease not parvo, and not for all of the above either, it is coronavirus. There is a specific thing about the previous vaccines, I will translated in the morning. I was told the first was for like a really baby dog, and that us given in order to protect young litters in the city.

He is 5 months and some days. From what I was told his vaccination started at around 6 weeks. Is there something wrong?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
If he caught "parvo" then he has immunity to it now. You cannot catch the same virus twice

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Fourth is for a different disease not parvo, and not for all of the above either, it is coronavirus. There is a specific thing about the previous vaccines, I will translated in the morning. I was told the first was for like a really baby dog, and that us given in order to protect young litters in the city.

He is 5 months and some days. From what I was told his vaccination started at around 6 weeks. Is there something wrong?
First of all, @GatorBytes is correct. Once a dog has Parvo they are immune for life.

Second, your dog has had ample vaccines for a pup that age and over vaccinating will accomplish nothing except drain your finances and potentially make your dog ill.

I was mistaken, it's the fifth vaccine that covers all of the above.

Usual protocol is 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 14 weeks and 6 months. Give or take a couple of weeks either way.

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
INFORMATION:

VACCINATION PROTOCOL BY DR. JEAN DODDS - (VACCINE RESEARCH)

9 - 10 weeks of age
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV
e.g. Merck Nobivac (Intervet Progard) Puppy DPV

14 – 15 weeks of age

18 weeks of age
Parvovirus only, MLV

Note: New research states that last puppy parvovirus vaccine should be at 18 weeks old.

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines

1 year old
This is an optional booster or titer. If the client intends not to booster after this optional booster or intends to retest titers in another three years, this optional booster at puberty is wise.

1 year old
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines

Dogs should be tittered each year BEFORE a vaccination is given. If titer is sufficient for such as Parvo or Distemper, a vaccination should not be given.

Canine NON-Core Vaccines: Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Search results for: core vaccines
"Dr. Dodds considers infectious canine hepatitis (adenovirus-1), canine adenovirus-2, bordetella, canine influenza, canine coronavirus, leptospirosis, and Lyme regional and situational. Please research the prevalence in your area, and discuss it with your veterinarian."

Articles
Vets On Vaccines: Vets On Vaccines - Dogs Naturally Magazine
Leptospirosis Vaccines adverse reaction, Dr. Jordan DVM

Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol by Dr. Dodds
Puppy and Kitten Vaccinations: Timing is critical

Rabies: The Science & the Current Law
Vaccines: When too much of a good thing turns bad
Vaccines: When too much of a good thing turns bad (Part 2)
Avoid Unnecessary Vaccines with Titer Tests (Part 3)

Response: Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia Report and Article
Q&A with Dr. Dodds: Is the puppy’s severe physical reaction due to a routine vaccine?
Q&A with Dr. Dodds: What should I do to protect my adult dogs during a parvovirus outbreak?
To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate for Infectious Canine Hepatitis?
Q&A with Dr. Dodds: I had a dog who had a bad reaction to the rabies vaccine and now I am concerned about giving it to my other dogs. What should I do?
Q&A with Dr. Dodds: Kennel Cough Complex Vaccines
Yes or No to Snake Vaccines?
Canine Influenza H3N8 Article - Dr. Dodds’ Additions
Clinical Approaches to Managing and Treating Adverse Vaccine Reactions
Dr. Schultz on Lyme Vaccine
Dr. Schultz Update on Leptospirosis Vaccines (2012)
More on Vaccine Titer Testing
Q&A with Dr. Dodds: Newborns and immunity from mothers
Mercury-Induced Inflammation: Yet Another Example of ASIA Syndrome
Canine Non-Core Vaccines
Snapshot of Leptospirosis Strains and Vaccines
Puppy Vaccination Schedule and Socialization: Can they go together?
Kennel Cough Complex: A complicated phrase for the canine common cold
A Pilot Study: Dose Vaccines for Small Dogs
More on Vaccinations & Small Dog Vaccine Study
Canine Influenza H3N2 Outbreak
Immune Disorders and Vaccines
Know Your Bordetella Vaccine

Dr. Patricia Jordan’s book: Mark of the Beast: Hidden in Plain Sight - This book is essential reading for pet owners, animal lovers and everyone seeking to know the truth about vaccine issues. The book title, Mark of the Beast, sums up the author's views on the medical practice of vaccination. Dr Patricia Jordan is a highly qualified veterinary surgeon with more than 24 years experience. Her observations and conclusions are based upon scientific evidence as opposed to the propaganda and junk science disseminated by pharmaceutical companies in their ever increasing need to maximize profits. Dr Jordan cites research studies showing that annual vaccinations are totally unnecessary and especially in respect of rabies where over vaccination is causing genetic changes and violent behavior in animals including horses. Dr. Patricia Jordan says: vaccination is the induction into a cycle of disease and disease management that is in every way a violation of the AVMA 1969 Veterinary Oath, in every way including public health and animal welfare
Other articles by Dr. Jordan
Cancer in our pet population, why is it on the rise?

Vaccinations and How They Disrupt the Immune System
5th Annual Joint American Homeopathic Conference - Poster Session 2010
Leptospirosis Vaccines Adverse Reaction
How vaccines dysregulate the immune system and impact genetic control over disease expression

The Purdue Vaccination Studies and Auto-antibodies by Catherine O’Driscoll on April 26, 2011 The Purdue Vaccination Studies and Auto-antibodies - Dogs Naturally Magazine
Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots by Dogs Naturally on July 12, 2011 Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots - Dogs Naturally Magazine
Protecting Your Puppy From Disease: Protecting Your Puppy From Disease - Dogs Naturally Magazine

There is also a 4 part video series on vaccinations by Dr. Ron Schultz and Dr. Karen Becker at www.mercolahealtypets.com

Dr. Ron Schultz's (Vaccine Research) study results:
Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines:
Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Dr. Schultz concludes: “Vaccines for diseases like distemper and canine parvovirus, once administered to adult animals, provide lifetime immunity.” “Are we vaccinating too much?”
Lifelong Immunity - Why Vets Are Pushing Back - Dogs Naturally Magazine

For Dr. Dodds’ position on various canine vaccines, please refer to the following posts:
Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol
Dr. Ron Schultz on Lyme Vaccine
Dr. Ron Schultz on Leptospirosis Vaccines
Kennel Cough Complex Vaccines
Infectious Canine Hepatitis
Canine Influenza (H3N8)
Vaccinations: A Global Perspective

Moms

1 - 20 of 26 Posts