German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken Ivan to the vet 2-3 times now. He has had 2 rounds of simplicef which cleared up the problem temporarily but once the meds were done it came back. He has also had a round of 20mg prednisone. He gets a red rash under his armpits and on his belly where there is no hair. It starts out small red bumps and spreads and becomes red and inflamed and he is scratching all the time. If I put some over the counter antibiotic ointment on it it helps somewhat and takes down some of the redness. He has been eating Fromm his whole life (he's 10mos) and I have been told maybe coconut oil would help? anything else? I am just frustrated at this point.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
This is exactly what I wrote about on this thread.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/249569-so-off-vets-again.html
Hans gets these things too, but I keep them in check with the above treatment. As soon as he gets something I reach for the Vetericyn.
You might also want to look at diet. You might want to find something without corn.
Hans is very sensitive to chicken. Your dog might be, also. Worth a shot to check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently switched to a grain free kibble (Earthborn Prairie) and add a little coconut oil twice a week when I feed. My girls itchy skin and redness disappeared completely after 6 weeks of making the change and her coat is so shiny and beautiful now.

It's made a believer out of me with regard to spending a little more for the best quality kibbles on the market, Both our dogs showed an improvement in coat quality and energy levels. Our Senior JRT suddenly acts as though he's three all over again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts