German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are renters that have a great relationship with our rental company. Three years ago when we moved in we were simply given a list of restricted breeds that did not include shepherds. Siberian Huskies,Akitas,American Eskimos,Rottweilers and Pitbulls were on it though. I have heard places typically use one of two lists of banned breeds and one list does not include the GSD.We paid two pet deposits plus an additional damage waiver for the dogs. One of the dogs was a GSD mix that we still have. They've seen him but have never complained so I am assuming they still have no issues with them. Our senior dog passed away and we were given a GSD puppy. I am just panicking that maybe their breed list changed or they would be upset. I am trying to think of a good way to word my inquiry or if I should just not worry about it. It was a bit unexpected as a well meaning family member decided to surprise us because we had mentioned the possibility of another dog and are known to be GSD lovers.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Do they have a website that you can search for amy updates? I would not say anything. I would think if their list changed, residents would have been notified. Have fun with your ?.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Do you have an updated lease renewal? If so, I would imagine it might be in the lease if gsd's are forbidden. Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything. You paid a pet deposit already and to the best of your knowledge the breed isn't banned. If they have a website you may find the information there as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wouldn’t say anything. To the best of your knowledge, the breed is not on the banned list. Probably better to ask forgiveness than permission in this case ?.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In my experience, most apartment complexes(not sure if you're renting a house or in an apartment) have a breed restriction list but nobody follows it. I have a rottie pit mix, his paper work says lab mix for housing purposes initially, and the first apartment we had there were dozens of pitbulls, even though I'm fairly certain they were banned. Nobody really cared, what they seem to care about more in my experience is pet fees/rent, not so much the breed itself. At least in my area, and all the apartments I've rented at that is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do they have a website that you can search for amy updates? I would not say anything. I would think if their list changed, residents would have been notified. Have fun with your ?.
They don't have anything online. I'm just going to stop worrying about it because even when we renewed they didn't ask about the pets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have an updated lease renewal? If so, I would imagine it might be in the lease if gsd's are forbidden. Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything. You paid a pet deposit already and to the best of your knowledge the breed isn't banned. If they have a website you may find the information there as well.
I wouldn’t say anything. To the best of your knowledge, the breed is not on the banned list. Probably better to ask forgiveness than permission in this case ?.
In my experience, most apartment complexes(not sure if you're renting a house or in an apartment) have a breed restriction list but nobody follows it. I have a rottie pit mix, his paper work says lab mix for housing purposes initially, and the first apartment we had there were dozens of pitbulls, even though I'm fairly certain they were banned. Nobody really cared, what they seem to care about more in my experience is pet fees/rent, not so much the breed itself. At least in my area, and all the apartments I've rented at that is.
Thank you everyone! We rent a single family home on a quarter of an acre. They haven't sent us any updated pet list or even asked in the three years we've been here. We renewed again until 2020 this last March and they didn't question us. I'm just not going to worry about it because they've never had an issue with my mix and we rarely see the property managers as it is. I think if the dog doesn't cause a nuisance and isn't left outside alone frequently which she wouldn't be they really don't care.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
If they have a list, it can be used on the back end of a problem. If a dog becomes a problem then management can say, "they are on the list" and evict the dog quickly. I've had a dog over the weight limit. Being good neighbors, management looked the other way. Just don't count on it because rental property can get sold and the new owners may have other ideas.

Bottom line, if your GSD has good manners there is a decent chance you won't have problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Many rental companies have breed restrictions that they can choose to disregard or firmly adhered. Many overlook restrictions if no neighbors complain or no issues with the dog. It gives the landlord a way out so to speak if an issue pops it's ugly head. However, they pretty well have set a precedence by allowing your previous gsd.

That said, just keep enjoying your baby, don't ask, and train well!

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
I've both rented as a tenant and as a property owner. All dogs were supposed to be approved by me. Management company didn't do due dilligence and one set of tenants had got a puppy in addition to their dog. They filled the carpets with dog urine. Don't be that tenant. Be diligent, clean any "mistakes" well, avoid destruction of woodwork, door knobs, floors and other parts of the property. Then you will be fine and the property owner will be pleased with you. (well, so long as you pay your rent, too.) -- One of my best tenants had several pets - dogs and cats.

But the worry and hassle of renting is one reason why I own my house. (well, bank owns part of it but hey).

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Echoing car2ner.... I’ve been that person with the “lab mix” and the landlord made it very clear that they wouldn’t have my back if a problem ever arose, not limited to eviction but lawsuits, etc.

Sometimes it’s an owner/rental co rule, sometimes it’s the property insurance which is taken much more seriously.

That said, they likely haven’t changed insurance companies.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I personally am avoiding getting a pure GSD or a GSD mix that looks like a GSD while I'm moving around/renting due to breed restriction potentials. If you keep your puppy well behaved you probably won't have issues but it may cause problems if you ever need to move. Some places stick to breed restrictions 99% of the time while others are fairly lax so it really depends.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
As someone who has had to rent with multiple gsd's for over 20 years please make sure you are not "that" tenant.
I was always honest and above board in my dealings with property owners and I made sure to keep great relationships with neighbors and service people. I never allowed any property damage and the rare times it happened I made darn sure the property owners came out ahead.
I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to be looking for a place and getting turned away because previous tenants lied or were irresponsible.
Be honest.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If they have a list, it can be used on the back end of a problem. If a dog becomes a problem then management can say, "they are on the list" and evict the dog quickly. I've had a dog over the weight limit. Being good neighbors, management looked the other way. Just don't count on it because rental property can get sold and the new owners may have other ideas.

Bottom line, if your GSD has good manners there is a decent chance you won't have problems.
This is pretty much what happened with me. I let my dog out to use the bathroom at night without a leash, mostly because that's what I've always done with all dogs I've owned, growing up in the suburbs. Didn't have any issues, he was well behaved, but people ended up complaining he was off leash, even if behind my townhouse and not bothering anyone. They ended up hitting me with a fee and charging me rent for my ex girlfriends dog who would come and spend most weekends with us. Don't get noticed, and you typically don't have a problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
i live in a townhouse and i hate when people have their dogs in common areas off leash.
Me too. I had a small more nervous dog and a gal on an end unit used to let her dogs out to pee. She wasn't even outside with them figuring they'd come back to the door when done doing their business. I'd come around the corner to find two med size fluffy dogs while I had a 22 lbs dog. It did not make me happy.
On the other hand, if the tennis courts were empty (and few people actually played tennis in them) I'd let my dogs run off leash in there. When kids came to skateboard in there, I'd leash my dog and leave. Again, being a good tenant that picks up after her dog and makes sure the kids can play in the courts went a long way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts