German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have decided we cannot afford to live where we currently are anymore. So I've started making calls to places. So far I've gotten some really nasty realtors. One told me it didn't matter if they were service dogs and had cgc that we are guests in someone else's home and he cannot force anyone to bend their pet limits to allow us. We found one place that would allow them but it is overpriced and where there is no cable or internet so the cost of satellite tv and internet would kill us on top of that plus there were issues with the well. Even though it had a large yard for $1350 for a tiny 3 bed it was going to end up being expensive once utilities were added. Plus the house is so small we worry about being too cramped. I'm getting so sick of them saying they won't even help us look once I say breeds I'm ready to just start calling them something else. I think when they ask I will say I have alsatians and see what happens. Same breed just a name rarely used anymore. It isn't a lie that is what they technically are. At least get our foot in the door to view some places and talk to the landlords. It isn't like we are looking for an apartment where the dogs would have to come in contact with other residents, we just want a single family house with a yard that we can set up our portable fencing in so they have a safe place to play.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Have you tried to go through private housing, like contacting the landlord directly instead of a realtor or property manager?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I know property values are higher in MA than in some area's of the country but for the price you are looking at paying have you thought about purchasing? There are some really great programs out there which could put you in a house for less than what you indicate you would pay for rent. I know for some people it is not a commitment they want to make. I agree with llombardo go to private landlords and try that way. Try hotpads.com it has a mix of everything from real estate agents to private landlords. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Have you looked into a condo or townhome and renting directly with the owner? Then some of your utilities might be covered. Ever consider buying a mobile home? I know all of these have no yards, but we get along OK without having a yard.

Just as a fun comparison, I live in a university town and the rents are high.
900sq ft condo/apt $1500/month, 1400 sq ft townhome 1800-2000/month and most single family homes start at $2000

·
Registered
624 Posts
The main problem with renting is that landlords' insurance company won't cover a GSD bite. Its not your pet or being a good renter - its a general liability concern and in our litigious society, people would rather avoid trouble.

Its not impossible to find a place to live but if a dog is perceived to be "dangerous" it can be tough to live anywhere. For some people, that perception will outweigh your being a responsible owner and having a dog that has never bit any one. Once is all it takes.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
The main problem with renting is that landlords' insurance company won't cover a GSD bite. Its not your pet or being a good renter - its a general liability concern and in our litigious society, people would rather avoid trouble.

Its not impossible to find a place to live but if a dog is perceived to be "dangerous" it can be tough to live anywhere. For some people, that perception will outweigh your being a responsible owner and having a dog that has never bit any one. Once is all it takes.
That being said, they cannot discriminate against service dogs, can they?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
How many dogs do you have? Are they all GSDs?

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
OK - going to say this again - CABLE TV is not a necessity....it is a luxury....if you are on a budget that is the last thing to include.....

Renting with dogs is tough...not impossible, but tough.....When you say $1350 a month for rent? Heck that is more than some people take home a month!!!!

Buying is definitely an option if that is the kind of rent you have to pay!

Lee

·
Registered
624 Posts
That being said, they cannot discriminate against service dogs, can they?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

No - a landlord cannot exclude a service dog. If you've gotten training for it to work as a service dog and a letter from your doctor attesting to your disability or life condition that requires a service dog to always be at your side, a landlord or property management company will often make an exception to a no-pet policy. Such policies are usually dictated by the insurance company. Its tough but not impossible to find a place that will accept a dog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK - going to say this again - CABLE TV is not a necessity....it is a luxury....if you are on a budget that is the last thing to include.....
^THIS!!!!! OMG it is ridiculous when people freak because God forbid they will not have cable tv. It is a little weird at first, especially when you are so used to it, but after a week or so you don't even notice it. Do you have Netflix? Good way to deal with not having cable. Or invest in some rabbit ears to pick up channels. Who needs hundreds of channels when there is never anything on them anyway?

Also like others have stated Buying is not for everyone, but have you looked into it? My bf and I just purchased a house, mortgage (including taxes and insurance) is $650/month. That is a 3/1 1100sqft house with a decent sized fenced in back yard, and in ground pool and large unfenced front yard. The complex we were renting at was $1000/month for a 1/1 600sq foot apartment. Was definitely cheaper for us to buy.

Another suggestion as some have already suggested, budget. You and your SO sit down and write down all the bills/necessities and nonessentials you pay for and total it up. Then look at the non essentials and see what you can take out. My bf and I did this and I was amazed at how much crap we spend money on each month that we really do not need especially when we are on such a tight budget.

I know this had nothing to do with finding a place that accepts dog, but hopefully it helps a little.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is true however if they still don't want to allow the dog they will just lie and tell you that the place is already taken etc.... if he is truly a service dog I would not even mention him and if they ask at that time you can tell them he is a service dog and is not a "pet" that way you already live there and there is nothing they can do about it.

No - a landlord cannot exclude a service dog. If you've gotten training for it to work as a service dog and a letter from your doctor attesting to your disability or life condition that requires a service dog to always be at your side, a landlord or property management company will often make an exception to a no-pet policy. Such policies are usually dictated by the insurance company. Its tough but not impossible to find a place that will accept a dog.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah, TV really isn't that big of a deal. Hubby and I found a place that would accept our breeds, but we had to go without cable for about 18 months. We got by just fine with Hulu and Netflix. We didn't even miss not having TV...outside of football season.

But, past that...

Have you looked at Zillow and Homes.com? If you find places that are rented by an owner instead of through a management company, you might have better luck. We had a friend of my MIL who was a real estate agent who looked solely for houses that were rent by owner...other real estate companies could help you with this.

The other thing I experienced was, you might have to give up some of the things you want when it comes to a house to get what you need; Hubby and I are looking at moving sometime in the next six months to a year and some of the places that we are looking at that allow pets don't have some of the things that we want (large kitchen, garage, spacious rooms) but we're willing to give those up in the name of being able to be happy with our pets.

I don't know if you go to church or not, but that might be a way to go as well. Ask around, see if anyone is moving and would be willing to rent to you.

Just some suggestions, hope they help!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you all missed one important detail there is no internet, no dsl available. You have to subscribe to a special satellite internet which depends on how much data you plan on using and states are $99 per month and no clue what the equipment costs. Without internet there is no netflix or anything like that. Also I have a 17yr old sister that is mad already. You don't want to know fit that will be thrown if we do not have tv so she can watch her favorite shows and internet. Also since I'm disabled and the house so small I will go stir crazy woth nothing to do in the middle of no where and no gas to go anywhere without tv and internet. The other issue was the well has a habit of running dry so everyone can't shower at the same time of say and we can't do the laundry all in one day. The house had some issues and the landlord didn't seem interested in doing the repairs to makes things better. There were no doors on the upper cabinets so the kitchen look like it was a half done reno. There no molding around the kitchen window and bare unfinished wood in some places in the kitchen with no plans to do anything to finish it. The living room has a nasty straw wallpaper that is deteriorating and bits of straw are lifting away. The house is too expensive for the size and issues it has plus the cost of just having internet will making it at least an extra $100-200. In addition we have to pay for the oil heat and propane for hot water. That house keeps getting more and more costly as you add utilities to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish we could buy but the reason we are moving is because we cannot afford the morgage anymore because of a divorce so with crappy credit we have to rent for now. We did look at a potential rent to own today but it needs a lot of work and smells like urine (they have cats). So just to move in we would have to spend our own money to rip up the carpets and refinish the floors (wood floors under the carpets). Which is a concern and the house is on the edge of a city in a good area but still a city but is a possible option if we don't mind doing the work and there is no security deposit but there are some safety problems like the covers are missing on light switches and the stairs doesn't have a railing all the way up to hold and they are steep. So even this place has issues but is cheaper but the upstairs needs a lot of work to actually look decent. As far as we know they will allow the dogs. I have one realtor sending me listings and willing to show places. I just found a broker that will accept us so we will see what happens. When I told them what the other broker said they said they love their competition. Hopefully we will find something that fits what we are looking for. Their goal is to get you to be able to buy a home in a few years rather than renting year after year so offer credit repair services.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 2 german shepherds. One is a certified service dog and the other is an at home service dog. I have a doctors note for them both and they each have passed a recent cgc test. So a landlord is not supposed to be able to discriminate against us because of their breed or because I have them but I do have pets so I was looking for a pet friendly rental so I could bring my kitty and my sister could bring her senior dog we don't expect to be around too much longer along with my poodle.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have 2 german shepherds. One is a certified service dog and the other is an at home service dog. I have a doctors note for them both and they each have passed a recent cgc test. So a landlord is not supposed to be able to discriminate against us because of their breed or because I have them but I do have pets so I was looking for a pet friendly rental so I could bring my kitty and my sister could bring her senior dog we don't expect to be around too much longer along with my poodle.
So am I adding this up right? 2 GSDs, 1 cat, 1 medium dog, and 1 poodle? That's four dogs and a cat, that is a LOT to ask a renter to take on. If I was a landlord I would probably not rent to someone with that many animals. I am NOT saying that you couldn't keep everything clean and wonderful, but I would look at it as a liability and potential for damage. Around where I live there is usually a max on animals (usually 2)...any combination, but 2 total.

You probably are going to continue having a really hard time finding nice* living arrangements with 4 dogs. Since you expect it to be temporary are their family members or friends that could take on a pet or two for you for a little while?

·
Registered
624 Posts
So am I adding this up right? 2 GSDs, 1 cat, 1 medium dog, and 1 poodle? That's four dogs and a cat, that is a LOT to ask a renter to take on. If I was a landlord I would probably not rent to someone with that many animals. I am NOT saying that you couldn't keep everything clean and wonderful, but I would look at it as a liability and potential for damage. Around where I live there is usually a max on animals (usually 2)...any combination, but 2 total.

You probably are going to continue having a really hard time finding nice* living arrangements with 4 dogs. Since you expect it to be temporary are their family members or friends that could take on a pet or two for you for a little while?

For a single person yes - I have two cats and a GSD. One dog is all I can really feed, exercise with and play. There isn't room for more pets and that is as much as my budget allows.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I think you totally ignored the fact that they are service dogs and no a service dog cannot go live with someone else for a year. We want to let the springer live out her last few months with us before we explore options for her as she is not in the best health. She belongs to the 17yr old who already has to give up her other dog and my mom is giving up her dog too. We have given up 2 dogs before this move to begin with. The hope is to allow the 17yr old to care for the poodle to make up for when the springer is gone. There really isn't anyone who would care for our dogs for us and boarding is out of the question. All 3 of us have disabilities. Also service dogs do not count as pets. If we only had the service dogs, they would have to be allowed in no pet housing. The cat is just an 8lbs kitty and while we would prefer to keep her she is lovable enough that she could find a new home but we can try to find something that will include her. Most places don't seem to have a problem with the single cat just the breed of dog.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Btw the springer is a completely retired service dog and 12yrs and slightly deaf and doesn't see as well as she used to. She has arthritis and tumors which may be causing additional problems. The poodle was a service dog candidate that needs to be reevaluated as things have calmed down now. Neither one has any official service dog status and therefore are considered pets. The 17yr old does have a letter for the springer as an emotional support dog though so technically could be exempt but I figured because of her advanced age and health we should consider her a pet when renting.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Well, sorry, everyone has been suggesting ways to budget, life style changes, making cuts in tv or whatever....and you don't seem open to any of them. I am sorry for your situation, it truly does suck. But I can't see how you are going to get a new place without some kind of sacrifice, whether it be money, tv, living conditions, etc..Sincerely, good luck.

Norman, not sure what you were responding to...did I miss something? Are you and Bright the same person?? ;-)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts