German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, does anyone rent and live in a house, condo, etc and have a German Shepherd? I'm getting one in 2 years, but I don't own a home yet. So is it still possible? I'm asking because most of the time certain dog breeds are not allowed in rentals 馃ズ馃槩 is there anything I can do about that? Advice please?

Registered
It鈥檚 easier honestly to find an apartment from than finding a private rental in my experience. German shepherd rescues usually have a list of places that accept. If you look at Zillow, it can help narrow your search down. It鈥檚 more work finding a place with shepherds but not too difficult, at jest where I am now. Typically expect your rent to be a little higher and your deposit. The other concern you should have is how isolated you can keep your puppy before all the vaccines are done. You want somewhere you don鈥檛 need elevators and things like that. You could also consider using puppy pads inside and wait to transition to outside when the vaccines are finished. I crate train no matter what though.

Registered
I rent and have two. Although one is emotional support dog as I suffer from anxiety and depression and I do have a letter from my therapist which allows him to live in any apartment despite any rules.

Yet when renting I do make sure to always Check to see if its dog friendly and any weight restrictions. I tend to only be drawn to already pet friendly places as they will give you less of a headache with dogs are they will be more accepting.

both apartments we lived in have been pet friendly with no weight restrictions and I have turned down renting a house that was not very welcoming to the idea of dogs as I felt it would be too difficult in the long run.

Super Moderator
I have actually had the opposite experience and found that professional management companies, whether it鈥檚 an apartment or otherwise - have been less flexible and most likely to have weight or breed restrictions and hefty deposits...also things like pet rent and renters insurance requirements have become popular in certain areas.

I鈥檝e rented in California with German shepherds since 1999. 6 of my 8 places were privately owned houses, or guesthouse type units. Best advice I can give is to not wait to look until you have to... I always kept my eye on the market just to be in the loop. And keep an open mind - you may not get to live in the nicest area or in the most up to date modern unit with pools and parking and all that - but you鈥檒l get to be with your dog. Have references... I鈥檝e never actually been asked for them but I keep very basic letters from previous landlords, a vet and a trainer on hand. At one point I did the canine good citizen test with my dogs too... most ppl have no idea what it is but the name itself sounds impressive.

Know that there鈥檚 a good chance, at some point, that you鈥檒l be discriminated against (鈥渟orry, we went went another applicant that got approved just before you鈥), and know that they鈥檙e more likely to rent to you with an adult dog than a puppy.

I really scored on my current place! One afternoon I applied for an already expensive unit that wanted a $500 deposit per pet (2 dogs 1 cat), $50 pet rent per pet, and required renters insurance (leasing agent also added 鈥渕ix鈥 next to my dogs breeds which tells you something).... I sat in my car with a pit in my stomach wondering if I was doing the right thing.... something told me to check craigslist before I went home. I found a listing with no photo and only a phone number. Not the kind of ad I鈥檇 normally pay attention to, but long story short, I called the woman and here I am 8yrs later in my wonderful little house that I hope to buy and not ever one word about a pet deposit or anything.

All in all, it can be done, but I鈥檇 avoid it if I could.

Registered
That鈥檚 an interesting story. I鈥檝e found the breed/weight restrictions to be about the same between private and corporations. I鈥檝e always had renters insurance, so I鈥檝e never known any different, and I鈥檝e never seen it not be a requirement. I guess that鈥檚 what makes forums good, you can get multiple perspectives. The private ones are 100 times more flexible though. It鈥檚 not even close. Looking before you actually need to is very important though. You definitely don鈥檛 want to add the pressure of a time limit.

Registered
I rent, as does my neighbor, and we both have dogs. I know some states/counties/cities have certain restrictions, so that would be my first suggestion. Make sure there aren't any regulations or ordinances which prevent it, then go from there. I've been lucky to nearly always live in dog-friendly areas (the downtown area in my current small city has multiple businesses which put out dog water bowls for passersby), so that has helped, though this is the first time I've had a dog myself.

Just do your research on the area. Dog friendly towns and neighborhoods are likely more accepting and less restrictive. With your time to plan, you may have to move, but as mentioned above, finding a place where you can be with your dog is key.

Registered
I have always rented with dogs. Usually multiple. It may mean you need to live in less desirable areas, or less desirable housed as @Fodder mentioned.
This is the only advice that I can give. Don't lie, and don't talk them into it. Neither of those things ever work. Be honest and open, but never gloss over that it's a dog. They shed, they drool, they track in dirt. They bark on occasion. If you have to talk someone into it they will eventually decide it a problem
When I was looking for a short term rental here people kept telling me to stop mentioning the dog, since the law her prohibits a landlord evicting over pets unless there is a problem. That did not sit well with me. The people I am currently renting from chose me because I had a German Shepherd. Theirs passed away last fall. I never need to worry about Shadow barking when she is excited, I don't have to hide her and when they come here they bring her treats!
Had I not mentioned the dog, I would not have gotten this apartment.

Super Moderator
Good points @Sabis mom ...we get so used to hearing 鈥渘o鈥 and our dogs working against us so often, we forget that there are times when they can actually work in our favor too.

One of my landlords was actually afraid of dogs...i offered for him to meet them and he declined saying he hopes that I pay my rent on time because he was never coming over, lol, he actually liked having the GSD presence on the property for security purposes.

My current landlady is the same. I think my neighborhood is pretty nice and I鈥檝e always felt safe... but she was also glad to hear that they were GSD and not 鈥渟ome yappers鈥. I really think my cat was what won her over tho.

Registered
It's a mixed bag. I rented for years. I've also been on the other side of the fence. I don't like being in the renter or landlord pool at all. I've lived in some pretty iffy places to keep my dog(s). I've moved around a bit - some places were quite accepting of my dogs, others not so much. It's not as easy as finding a place when you don't have pets. It can be done - just harder.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, thanks so much guys! I really appreciate you all chiming in and helping me. I will take y'all's advice to look ahead of time and to be open and honest. I plan on doing AKC's S.T.A.R puppy program, AKC's CGC and the advanced CGC tests. You guys will be the first ones to see my baby Shep when I get her. I need to think about a name, but I still have a lot of time. I am thinking about the name Kai.

Super Moderator
Here's something you can do in the meantime to get an idea...
Go to craiglist and search for housing, then watch the numbers change as you narrow down the size, price range, neighborhood, pet friendly... then weed through the results (some which will be duplicates) to see which ones lists breed/size restrictions and see if those are places you'd like to live. Note: if the fine print says restictions may apply or something like that - you can almost always guarantee that GSD will be included in those restrictions.

it's been awhile but i just tried it again and watched my results dwindle from 3000+ to 566 (price) to 313 (size) to 109 (pet friendly) to 10 (neighborhood, i chose 8 with reasonable commutes to work) to 4 (listings with images)... 2 were viable (assuming there isnt much competition and no breed or size restrictions. 1 is an apartment, 1 is a converted basement unit), 1 was just a room, the other was a sublet.

eek.
you're welcome!

Registered
I don't have much to add...but in my town, the property management company that runs all the rentals (yes, it's a disgusting monopoly here) had a rule for new tenants: "an established pet may be considered"...in other words, you're SOL if you're already renting from them but want to get a dog, but if you already HAVE a dog when you apply, they might allow it. That being said, I was able to talk them into letting me get a dog (as long as it was an adult dog and not a dangerous breed), with a deposit of course. That was back when I tried to adopt a border collie cross who had horrible separation anxiety, which I couldn't work out.

Anyway the point is...maybe you have to get a not-so-great rental to start, but once your pet is "established", it might be easier to move to a better place.

I honestly don't understand the anti-dog thing. I think babies/toddlers are far more destructive to a home than dogs. :)

Registered
In my tri city area most apartment complex are actually super dog friendly with no weight restrictions. Breed restrictions are the hardest but I have found a lot of them have dog parks inside The apartment complex as the I moved into when I got both my dogs did.

if you need to rent an apartment I would look at new communities as they usually offer more pet friendly options.

Only recently we moved into a complex without A dog park one as there was no move in dates for the time we needed For the ones that did and we had decided to not rent the house We wanted as there were not very open to the idea of dogs.

even though my current apartment doesn鈥檛 have a dog park it鈥檚 still dog friendly.a majority of all apartments I looked at online and in person, including both I live(d) in, have doggy stations and provide poop bags.

aparments.com and Zillow both allow you chose pet friendly options when looking at Rentals.

Registered
I don't rent but my children have/do and every apartment/condo they have ever rented required renters insurance. Pretty sure that is the norm in the majority of places these days. So assume you will need renters insurance. That leads to my point. Be sure that you can get renters insurance that will cover a GSD. I haven't had renters insurance in decades but if it's anything like homeowners many companies don't cover "aggressive/dangerous" breeds which most consider the GSD to be. So in your research be sure any insurance company you think to go with covers liability for injury to others that any dog you have may cause. Be sure there is no breed restriction. Don't assume all renters insurance covers injury liability of all breeds if such option is part of the policy.
Homeowners have this issue across the US and the rules are different state to sate even within the same company.

Registered
Agree! Make sure you are getting covered for GSD in renters.

I have always had to have renters and when I worked for an insurance company i saw it can make a difference in your coverage and some companies won鈥檛 cover.

we have travelers! It鈥檚 only 20 a month and covers the requirements needed for our apartments and also covers both dogs.

I don't rent but my children have/do and every apartment/condo they have ever rented required renters insurance. Pretty sure that is the norm in the majority of places these days. So assume you will need renters insurance. That leads to my point. Be sure that you can get renters insurance that will cover a GSD. I haven't had renters insurance in decades but if it's anything like homeowners many companies don't cover "aggressive/dangerous" breeds which most consider the GSD to be. So in your research be sure any insurance company you think to go with covers liability for injury to others that any dog you have may cause. Be sure there is no breed restriction. Don't assume all renters insurance covers injury liability of all breeds if such option is part of the policy.
Homeowners have this issue across the US and the rules are different state to sate even within the same company.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
In my tri city area most apartment complex are actually super dog friendly with no weight restrictions. Breed restrictions are the hardest but I have found a lot of them have dog parks inside The apartment complex as the I moved into when I got both my dogs did.

if you need to rent an apartment I would look at new communities as they usually offer more pet friendly options.

Only recently we moved into a complex without A dog park one as there was no move in dates for the time we needed For the ones that did and we had decided to not rent the house We wanted as there were not very open to the idea of dogs.

even though my current apartment doesn鈥檛 have a dog park it鈥檚 still dog friendly.a majority of all apartments I looked at online and in person, including both I live(d) in, have doggy stations and provide poop bags.

aparments.com and Zillow both allow you chose pet friendly options when looking at Rentals.
I would love to live in an apartment complex that has a dog park in it. That sounds like the best!

Okay, thank you!

Nice! Mine has those too, and it is nice, but a lot of people don't clean up after their dogs here, so we have to be careful of where we step.

Okay, thank you.馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, thank you馃榿 I will look into renter's insurance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Agree! Make sure you are getting covered for GSD in renters.

I have always had to have renters and when I worked for an insurance company i saw it can make a difference in your coverage and some companies won鈥檛 cover.

we have travelers! It鈥檚 only 20 a month and covers the requirements needed for our apartments and also covers both dogs.
Okay, I will be looking at travelers first then!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts