German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black boy baron loves to jump on pine trees to bark at squirrels and gets big patches of sap stuck in his fur. What is the best way to remove it ? thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Our dog stepped in that spray foam stuff that you use to fill cracks. I had to use goof off to get it off her pads, then immediately wash her feet. I would think goof off if used on just his hair would be fine. The only other option is WD40, but you'd want to keep that off his skin too.

Cutting out the sap is a less chemical approach to removal.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You'll have to go for one of the chemical removers then. Good luck getting him to hold still. :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Any type of vegetable oil will work to get it out. Just rub a little oil on the sap, and within a few seconds it will soften the sap and allow you to remove it with your fingers or a brush. It's a little less messy than peanut butter. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Any type of vegetable oil will work to get it out. Just rub a little oil on the sap, and within a few seconds it will soften the sap and allow you to remove it with your fingers or a brush. It's a little less messy than peanut butter. :)

I did not know that...THANKS!! So much better than Goof Off or WD 40!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Good to know about the vegetable oil. If I tried the peanut butter...I'd have tree sap in MY hair :wild: and the jar of peanut butter would be all over the place! (my girls go wild over PB!)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, even he smells like french fries its worth it LOL

·
Registered
990 Posts
Methylated Spirits works really well, I usually use it on my horses, they love to scratch their winter coat out on the pine trees and I've noticed if the sap doesn't get removed reasonably quickly it actually irritates their skin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts