German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xargos has a couple of mats in his abdoment.

With my kitties, I would have used the Belgian Grey Hound Comb with great success, but with Xargos, the area is so sensivitive and their hair is so different I cannot ..

How do you do it? Please advise!

Tanya

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It depends on the mat. When I had my OES, and when she was in full coat, I would spray mats with a watered down hair detangler product (I used Tame but don't believe it's made any longer) and rub it into the mat. Then I'd first try to remove it with a slicker. If the slicker failed I tried a pin bursh, and if that failed I then used a good rat tail metal comb. If all these failed I carefully cut the mat out with a small pair of blunt tipped scissors.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
My secret? Corn starch. Work it in to the matted area as though it were baby powder. (It is much safer than the talc they use in powder.) Then start at the outer edge of the matt and work to detangle it - gently. It may require splitting the matt very carefully with a pair of scissors.

I use corn starch before I groom if they have much undercoat at all. It loosens the dead hair, the powder working like a lubricant. Grooming doesn't pull nearly as much.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great recommendations, thank you so very much!

We don't have slicker yet -- need to pick it up.

Corn is such a great idea for this and for general grooming.. Is it messy though? Do you do grooming outside then?

Tanya

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Actually, cornstarch powdered on a dog isn't any more messy than powdering anything. I groom inside but I'm not a tidy person. Try a little bit of it and see what you think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts