German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard good and bad things in regards to these remote trainers.

Have any of you had experience with the remote trainer?

Any opinions on the remote trainer?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
They work like magic... but only to enforce commands they already know.
They're worthless to actually train the dog if he doesn't know basic obedience, and just confuses them and makes them paranoid.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What were you planning on using it for? Basic obedience? Home usage like for barking?
Brewski knows all his basic commands, sitting, staying, coming, laying down, off, shake paw, other paw, drop and so forth. My problem is the high prey drive, when a squirrel or cat is in view all his knowledge of listening to commands is out the window. I have a large bow window in my home and I have actually called the insurance companies to be sure that the window is covered and Brewski would be covered should he go through it after one of these preys. Brewski bowls down anyone and anything in his way at the site of them. I have tried to teach him "leave it" but he is having no part of obedience when it comes to these cats and squirrels. We spend are summers at our RV and their will be plenty of squirrels there, so it is a must I get this under control with before May.

Do you know anything about them good, bad or ugly?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
We used it for the same thing... Our lab would chase things across the street. We taught her with it that if she even touches a toenail to the pavement, she'd be corrected. In one weekend she was fully trained.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We used it for the same thing... Our lab would chase things across the street. We taught her with it that if she even touches a toenail to the pavement, she'd be corrected. In one weekend she was fully trained.
Thank you, I will try it. Did you use the warning/shock or the warning/spray?
I want it to work for my sanity, but more importantly his safety and I don't want to be mean. No need for a bark collar as he knows if I say "hush" then hush it is. Very smart and very sneaky. lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have one for my dogs and the best thing it's worked on is the prey drive. They hardly ever leave the yard unleashed but if I let the chickens roam, the chickens are dumb enough to get into the fenced yard with dogs, just a couple times with the warning then correction and they dont even want to LOOK at the chickens :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
For people that have used an e-collar to prevent chasing of cats, squirrels, etc., do you just let the chase start then give a verbal command and a stim, or just a stim?

I saw a short video where a trainer was using an ecollar to train dogs off snakes, and I think all he did was stim when the dog started to want to investigate the snake. From what I saw, the dogs were not weened off the ecollar or anything, they simply got the association between snakes and shock and that held even in a different environment with no ecollar on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have one for my dogs and the best thing it's worked on is the prey drive. They hardly ever leave the yard unleashed but if I let the chickens roam, the chickens are dumb enough to get into the fenced yard with dogs, just a couple times with the warning then correction and they dont even want to LOOK at the chickens :)
Does your have the shock or the spray? I am so glad that you have had a positive outcome with one. I am reaching the end of my rope between the neighbour behind having 12 cats and the ones on the street.

Brewski knows they are there and he knows exactly where he has to run from in order to clear the 6 ft solid wood fence keeping them apart, not good.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
For our purpose, the spray was useless because she would just outrun the smell :)
We use the word "hey" as a warning, and then stim if she didn't stop.
Every few months she still needs a refresher with the collar though because she gets used to the idea that we really can't stop her from doing what she wants to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does your have the shock or the spray? I am so glad that you have had a positive outcome with one. I am reaching the end of my rope between the neighbour behind having 12 cats and the ones on the street.

Brewski knows they are there and he knows exactly where he has to run from in order to clear the 6 ft solid wood fence keeping them apart, not good.
I have the one with the vibration warning then a shock if the warning doesn't work. My dogs have gotten to the point where they listen to the warning Very well. :D

With the chickens, I had to let them in the yard with the dogs, show them the chickens, let them approach, say NO, vibrate, then shock if needed. So they see exactly what they're not allowed to touch.

If it was cats I was worried about (my dogs love their kitty, thank god lol) I'm not sure how that would work depending on what kind of collar you have. Cause you'd have to catch him in the act trying to get to the cats, or have a cat that you could show it to like I did with the chickens....but with a cat, that sounds much harder. Good luck!

Maybe start with the fence jumping issue...:confused:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Imo, the spray is not sufficient if you have a hard dog or the dog's amped up too much. If the dog is that determined to go after prey and won't respond to commands, I can't imagine the spray being anything other than a minor annoyance the dog could easily ignore. And if I recall, most spray collars only have one or two settings, one is a quick spray, the other is a longer spray. For me, that's not enough variation. Plus filling up the collar with citronella spray is annoying and expensive, although it smells nice and makes your dog smell squeaky clean.

I use an e-collar for off-leash training and control. It is very useful once you've gone through the proper training with your dog, and it gives peace of mind knowing that even though your dog is 30 feet away, you still have control and communication.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the one with the vibration warning then a shock if the warning doesn't work. My dogs have gotten to the point where they listen to the warning Very well. :D

With the chickens, I had to let them in the yard with the dogs, show them the chickens, let them approach, say NO, vibrate, then shock if needed. So they see exactly what they're not allowed to touch.

If it was cats I was worried about (my dogs love their kitty, thank god lol) I'm not sure how that would work depending on what kind of collar you have. Cause you'd have to catch him in the act trying to get to the cats, or have a cat that you could show it to like I did with the chickens....but with a cat, that sounds much harder. Good luck!

Maybe start with the fence jumping issue...:confused:
Thanks so much, he only jumps the fence for the cats. A few neighbours feel I should let him get the cats, but that I would never do. Will try the remote trainer by Pet Safe . Again Thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your very welcome, I hope you get it worked out! My collar also has 3 shock settings, so that is nice too, it gives the dog plenty of chances to correct itself!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Thanks so much, he only jumps the fence for the cats. A few neighbours feel I should let him get the cats, but that I would never do. Will try the remote trainer by Pet Safe . Again Thank you
Just wanted to say, you should probably avoid petsafe. You will pay out the nose in batteries, because the batteries for the petsafe e-collars are special batteries only petsafe makes, and where I live they are about $10 for only 2 and they don't last very long. The corrections were also inconsistent and so was the level. Sometimes when I pressed the button, it didn't respond, and sometimes the correction would not be the level I set it at. If I had it set to 5, sometimes it would correct with a 2, or a 10. When I worked at petsmart, I couldn't tell you how many times customers returned that product saying the same thing. I also found that only 10 levels wasn't enough. There's also a huge spike inbetween levels. Sometimes one level wasn't strong enough, but the next one up was far too strong.

A month after I bought a petsafe e-collar and was sick of paying for batteries, I bought a dogtra e-collar, and the difference is phenomenal. They are also about the same price, so why not get a quality collar that's also rechargeable? :)

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
They work like magic... but only to enforce commands they already know. They're worthless to actually train the dog if he doesn't know basic obedience, and just confuses them and makes them paranoid. [Emphasis Added]
I'll have to disagree. Used with my methods an Ecollar is an EXCELLENT tool to use for basic OB. It's all in knowing how to use it.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Brewski knows all his basic commands, sitting, staying, coming, laying down, off, shake paw, other paw, drop and so forth. My problem is the high prey drive, when a squirrel or cat is in view all his knowledge of listening to commands is out the window.
An excellent use for the tool. But please don't think of merely pressing the button when the dog shows signs of wanting to chase. You can make the issue worse or cause other problems that you did not anticipate.

HERE'S how I suggest using it for this issue.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'll have to disagree. Used with my methods an Ecollar is an EXCELLENT tool to use for basic OB. It's all in knowing how to use it.
I think you misunderstood my post :)
I meant if your dog knows nothing, you can't just shout "sit" and expect your him to figure it out by shocking him. He needs to know what "sit" means first... otherwise the dog's interpretation of the situation is that you're just talking moon-talk and his collar is now zapping him for some reason.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Perhaps I did misunderstand. I was disagreeing with the part of your post that I highlighted, "They're worthless to actually train the dog if he doesn't know basic obedience, and just confuses them and makes them paranoid." Like any other tool the Ecollar has to be applied with a logical, reasonable plan that clearly tells the dog what is wanted.

I agree completely that you can't "... just shout "sit" and expect him to figure it out." If that's all you do then confusion and paranoia is just about guaranteed to occur.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts