German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a post earlier in the week about a dog being too thin...Here is Remi at 4 yo and 93 lbs. Vet thought he was overweight at 87 lbs...Ideally I'd like to see him at around 85 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Looks good to me but I can't feel for his ribs or see him from above. This from Petmd.

Dr. Dobies says.

The best way is to stand above pets and look down on them. “You should be able to feel their ribs but not see them. If you can see them, they are too skinny,” Dr. Dobies explains. “If you can’t see their ribs, and place your hands on the side of their chest and still can’t, they’re overweight.”

Both dogs and cats should also have a nice taper at their waist (between the abdomen and where the hips go into the socket), he says. “If there is very little or none at all, they are too heavy and they’ll be oval shaped. They’ll be egg shaped rather than hourglass.”

And a very obese pet, he says, “will have a pendulous abdomen, hip fat, and neck fat, all of which are very noticeable.” But pets don’t usually reach this point of obesity until they’re aged at least seven, he adds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is helpful! I think my boy isn't as underweight as I thought he was(I posted the other day about it). I'm bringing our female pup for her boosters next wednesday so will bring our male as well just so I can weigh him. I did realize that we were likely underfeeding our boy, not intentionally of course, he just doesn't have a big appetite and would eat maybe half his bowl and leave the rest for the next day some time. He's been eating 2 or 3 times a day now and looks much healthier compared to 2 months ago so I'm not as worried now ?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is helpful! I think my boy isn't as underweight as I thought he was(I posted the other day about it). I'm bringing our female pup for her boosters next wednesday so will bring our male as well just so I can weigh him. I did realize that we were likely underfeeding our boy, not intentionally of course, he just doesn't have a big appetite and would eat maybe half his bowl and leave the rest for the next day some time. He's been eating 2 or 3 times a day now and looks much healthier compared to 2 months ago so I'm not as worried now ?
Great. I think if you feed high quality food and give the probiotics/enzymes you should be all set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts