German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a bit concerned about Zak,he is 4 years old and very fit but today he completey refused to get out of the car when we got home from his afternoon walk, I tried both sides of the car and eventualy had to drag him out by his lead ,he wouldnt even stand up ,just cowerd in the corner of the back seat. Normaly he jumps out and charges down to our house, without a lead , as soon as i let him.He isnt limping and dosent seem to be ill.Any suggestions would be great:confused:He was fine once out of the car:confused:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
This could be a two fold behavioral problem. If he has a 'fear' of getting out of your vehicle, you would need to work on that as one problem.

If he decided that it's more fun going on walks and doesn't want to go home, knowing that his refusal to 'get out' is a non compliance issue, he could react the way you described. That would all depend on how you behaved when he first refused.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the first time it has happened, did i handle it right, hope its not going to be a ongoing problem. The strange thing is he has never been punished for any thing so why cower. I am wondering if it actualy hurts him to jump out ,and may be it has been for a while and today he just couldnt face it. Could something hurt only when he jumps onto concrete, i do live in the countryside so other than jumping out of the car he is on soft ground , but definately no limp, and fine getting in the car.Grateful for any suggestions

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
If he has joint issues or HD, it could cause him discomfort all the time, yet jumping out of the vehicle could cause additional pain.

He could have snagged a toe nail today when getting out for his walk. There could be lots of reasons for him to react that way today. Since this isn't normal behavior for him, I'd suggest taking him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any type of physcial issues.

Have you tried going back out to your car and seeing how he reacts now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts