German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I have been on here. I don't know if anyone will remember me or not. A lot has changed and happened since I have been gone. I still have my handsome, smart, awesome, sweet and loyal black GSD named Sinister. He is my heart and the best dog ever. He just turned 9 years old in March! I can't believe it! I still have my soulmate calico cat named Wicked. She just turned 10 years old in March.

I do not have my crazy, loving, gorgeous, Dalmatian anymore. I unfortunately had to give him back to his breeder last year. He had food aggression and issues with his personal space. I was able to live with it and knew not to bother him or have food laying around, I never feared that he would bite me. But my fiance's small children (3,5 &7) moved in with us and Draven was extremely uncomfortable with them. The children were level to his face and I knew that he would bite if they got in his personal space. When they walked around with food or even sat at the table with food he would growl, show his teeth and act nervous/paranoid like they were going to steal his food even though it was their food. I couldn't risk a bite. I would have been devastated if the children would have been harmed and more devastated that I set Draven up for failure when it was my job to keep him safe and feel secure. I don't have a garage or a basement or a big house. Keeping Draven outside permanently was not an option, I live in a bad neighborhood and would never have him outside when no one is home or not watching him. I felt the best decision was to give him back to his breeder. I disclosed his issues and recommended he not be placed in a home with little kids and they informed me that they do not place their adult dogs in homes with kids. He found a new home with a wonderful lady that I speak to quite frequently and she loves sending me photos of him. She's older and has adult children, a husband and a Labradoodle. The breeder and the new owner changed his name back to Draco (which is what I 1st named him before changing his name to Draven at 8 months old.) Unfortunately the breeder didn't inform his new owner about his issues with growling, showing his teeth or his food issues. Draven sometimes growls and shows his teeth at her husband and her adult daughter. But they love him and they said he's very well behaved and we'll trained. They want me to come visit and spend the weekend with them, so hopefully I'll be making the 6 hour drive to see him soon! I miss him and love him. I've regretted my decision since the day he left and I wish I could get him back but his new owner signed a contract saying that if for whatever reason she can't keep him then he has to go back to the breeder. To this day Draven is my background picture on my phone. I have his dog tag hanging in my kitchen so I can see it. He'll be 5 years old next month.

I thought 3 years ago when I lost my father and my brother-in-law that it was the worst year of my life, I was wrong. Last year was heartbreaking and almost destroyed me. I had a miscarriage and lost the baby I wanted more than anything. Then I had to give up my beloved dog Draven. Then I had to file for bankruptcy. Then I was laid off from my job that I worked at for over 10 years. Then my fiance cheated on me. We broke up and him, my 3 little stepkids and his mom moved out of my house. I gave up Draven for the kids to be safe and they ended up moving out. I was so heartbroken I have no idea how I survived it but I did.

Shortly after they moved out I decided to get a kitten. I felt that I needed another animal to love and take care of. Sinister had lost his best friend Draven and my cat Wicked hates dogs. Enter my little Pandora. She's a long haired, calico. She's wild, naughty, fun and adorable. She cuddles with Sinister and drives Wicked crazy lol. She'll be a year old in July. She is the best worst decision I have made in a long time. :)

Now onto my surprise. 3.5 weeks ago a lady I know and dog sit for contacted me about a puppy that needed temporary placement asap. I told her I could watch the puppy until they found a permanent home for her. Her name was Shelby and this is her story. Shelby and her brother were in an animal shelter. A lady adopted both of them only to find out that the brother was completely deaf. She realized she wouldn't be able to keep them both and feared the male would be put down due to his deafness so she decided to give up the female. A Veteran with ptsd took her but then he fell on hard times and ended up homeless sleeping in his car and in a hotel room with the puppy. His friend told him that he could live with her until he gets back on his feet but that they were allergic to animals and he couldn't bring the puppy. Enter me. When she came to me I was told that she was 5 months old and a hound/blue Heeler mix and that she looks more hound whereas her brother looks more Heeler. They gave me her crate, toys, $40 and asked me what brand of puppy food I want her on (I said Fromm) so they went and bought me a bag of it for her. 2 days later they paid for her to be completely updated on her shots. The Vet believes that she is already spayed. He said she was very under weight (I'm guessing her old owner didn't have a lot of money for food) and very ribby. He estimates that she'll be around 50 pounds when she matures. So I literally got this puppy for free. Now if anyone remembers me they know I am not a big fan of female dogs. I also am not a fan of hounds either and never would I ever imagine having a female hound! Well, I fell in love that 1st night. I don't know how to really explain it but it's as if she imprinted with me. It's like she and I knew we were meant to be together. I am her 3rd home. I absolutely love her and I will never be able to part with her. I changed her name to Remi and let her old owner know that she wasn't going anywhere. She is so freaking smart, she catches on extremely fast, easy to train, very food motivated. The Vet just kept telling me how she's smart as a whip. She's super friendly, very loving, loves getting kissed, loves giving her paw to people, loves being hugged and cuddled with. We haven't had any potty accidents. She doesn't chew on anything except for her toys. She sleeps in my bed with me and goes right to bed without any issues. She is EXCELLENT in the car. She behaves very well at my mom's busy hair salon and is getting a ton of socialization. She always has to be by my side. Always cuddled up next to me on the couch, always has her body against mine on the bed, she is always looking at my eyes when I talk to her or when she's laying by me or when someone else is touching her. She doesn't like when I am out of her sight. She is very much like my Sinister in temperament. She loves Sinister and doesn't hold a grudge when he corrects her. They play all day but he gets worn out and let's her know when he needs to rest. She plays with my kitten, the kitten likes to trick her and tease her. Remi is the most talkative dog I have ever had, she bays like a hound and it's loud and manly like. She loves to voice her opinion and displeasure lol. She has so much attitude and I love it! She wins over the hearts of everyone she meets. My mom actually wanted her, then my best friend did, then 2 of my ex co workers did. She is a big surprise, I never saw her coming and she is the best thing to happen to me in a long time. Sinister is my heart and the love of my life but Remi is right there with him. It was literally meant to be, my little hound puppy. ♡

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Hi LaRen, Yeah, I remember you. I am sorry about all the stuff you've been through. Let's hope this year is much better, and you meet someone who is heads and tails better than the jerk that cheated. Draven has a loving home. That's good. He is meeting someone else's need for canine companionship. I hope that you make a good friend out of his owners, so you can keep up with him.

I don't post here as often as I used to, but welcome!

Reactions: LaRen616

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I wasn't posting much if at all but I do remember your threads, especially Draco's name change thread. With all that you have gone through, it sounds like you are on the upswing now and hope it continues. Shelby sounds like a wonderful companion.

Welcome back!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well, I'm a newer member, so I don't remember you, but welcome back anyway! I'm sorry things have been so hard for you. I am glad the new kitten and puppy have helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts