German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper is 18 weeks old now (and 44lbs) and after talking to some friends who have been training protection dogs for the last 30+ years they say he has developed a comfort zone around me - when we let him out of his run at a friends place he ran straight to me and then sniffed around and ran back to me...

When i walked around he stayed within about 15ft of me - the 2nd week we were there he just went cruising around and came to me only when i called him back... these friends say to break this i need friends of mine to walk on lead and let him see me slowly dwindle away (move to other side of a street) or turn a different way etc...

Further to that, I was wondering is it too late to introduce items which could have (and should have) been introduced to him at a much earlier age, like the old kiddy pools filled with plastics, or the PVC frames with bottles that dogs should walk through, all the milk bottle snakes on the ground that we get puppies to run through etc...?

I've been fortunate in the fact that he's been able to walk on many different surfaces, meet a lot of people, drives everywhere with me, but has maybe not met as many dogs as i would like... He tends to run up to other dogs and say hi to bite them (i truly believe it's in a playful way because he plays like that with the dogs he already knows, but it may scare other dogs and start a fight)...

i'd just like some advice is all, re: reintroducing loud noises to him without him becoming scared of them and also how to break this potential increase in dependance he has with me... sorry to bombard...

Ali.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
lol what are you expecting your dog to do when you let him out of the run? completely ignore you and run off? when you are in a field do you want your dog to just run off into the woods? you are a part of his pack. when i go hiking mine would run ahead but will periodically turn around and make sure im still following. comfort around you is if he never leaves your side. but to run back to you is normal to me. its the behavior i'd want. not some dog to ignore me and just run off. also you want your dog to always want to interact with you and not the environment. if you want the opposite im really curious as to why?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is this dog your pet? If so, that sticking to you is to be rewarded, not broken, in my opinion. I'd never be able to let my dog off leash if she didn't have a 15 ft radius that she likes to keep to me. Are you raising this dog for some other purpose? And I would be way more concerned about the biting other dogs to say hi than loud noises. That is rude doggy behavior and will definitely start a fight. And I don't believe it's ever too late to introduce something to a dog, as long as you be sure it's slow enough that they are staying calm in its presence.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi sorry I wrote when I was a little uninformed from my trainer as why (I'm attempting to title him in the future) yes he's very loyal... But he doesn't sniff around, he just stayed near me. He didnt go sniff other people around me. When I walk around THEN he sniffs others and the surroundings (new places) -- familiar places he's fine. As for a dog that ignores me - not at all. When he does go away he comes back. But he knows he has a certain level of freedom until I call him back. Don't get me wrong he's very loyal. As for the introduction to other dogs - it only happened for the first time yesterday (when I posted) I think I've been a little too lenient with him and may require some attention to with regards to the biting. It's not BITING as in aggression but I can see how it may develop in the future...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts