German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I love my little girl to death but she is so annoying. I've had her for about a month now and she is still constantly whining. She whines when she sleeps (in bed with us), she whines she see the cat, she whines when im around and when I leave, the only time she doesnt whine is when she is eating drinking pottying or sleeping. She gets alot of exercize and playtime and love, i just dont know why she is whining. Shes been to the vet shes not sick or hurt, shes just needy

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe is always whining, groaning, and grumbling about something. Teach the quiet command it can be a godsend,lol GSD's are just a mouthy breed whether their mouth is on you personally or running just because. Make sure she doesn't need to go potty, isn't hungry, and really is getting all the exercise she needs. Is this is a pup or rescue? If it's a pup the quiet command will probably tone it down, but if she is a rescue and older there may be a reason for her excessive noise making:)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a working/herding type dog. This type of behavior is very common for GSD puppies. You need to keep exercising both your puppy's body and mind every day which should help with the whining. You really need to challenge him the best you can. Get him out and about - socializing. Keep training and teaching obedience and keep exercising. It will get better with time, but this is all part of the breed. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Max does not whine but he will let me know when I am not paying enough attention to him. Or his sister is not paying enough attention to him, he needs to learn to use his inside voice lol!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have a whiner too. He's extremely vocal about everything that makes him excited or hungry or playful or anxious. He's quiet when he's relaxing in the house. I think it's true that it gets better with age, but if you have a vocal puppy, you'll probably have a vocal adult.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It is a breed trait and some whine more than others. It's is always one of my criteria I give the breeder when I purchse a pup...no big whiners for me please.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It is a breed trait and some whine more than others. It's is always one of my criteria I give the breeder when I purchse a pup...no big whiners for me please.
LOL!

It comes with the breed for sure. Deuce doesn't whine and i'm happy for that. With two kids ages 4 and 5, I don't need another cry baby :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No i purchased her from a breeder, im pretty sure shes just whining to whine. I have alot of experience with hherding breeds, i had 4 border collies in my house at the same time but they never whined, house was choatic, rehoed them as they were rescues anyways, 4 border colllies=choas

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, as soon as they don't whine around senselessly the whole day, you should not be worried. Odin, whines whenever something does not go the way he wants. I just ignore it. He still whines but gradually less.
You are totally right, their whining is annoying. It sounds so desperate and sad and it affects you.
Just ignore her, completely. Make sure, you do not feed her or take her out of the crate etc if she whines. The way you described your dog, you gave it a lot of previliges (as to sleeping in your bed etc) which I am sure worsened the situation a bit since sleeping together is something very affectionate and pack style, you might give your dog the idea that she is of the same position as you for her to have the honor to sleep in your bed, but then when during the day something does not go like your puppy wants, she acts like that.

My recommendations : Crate train and stop letting her sleep in your bed.

But then again, I know that I know nothing so make sure you read and ask others if you chose to go with what I recommend.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
is it whining or is it sounds
of being content????
This is a good question. My husband and I figured out that Mac's "I love being pet" and "I need to go outside" whine is very similar. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
They have such personalities! Lola is vocal, she'll whine, back talk, and huff, and put one lip up (usually when I doing something she doesn't understand). She is quiet for the most part, but some days, what a talker! At first I thought it was weird, but now i'm just used to it (and would't have it any other way).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts