German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
for 10 weeks old thats pretty darn good!!! i'm in the process of teaching all 3 of mine high five lol. they range in age from 6 years all the way down to 6 months old.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Personally, I'd sit there and wait for her to do it herself rather than repeating yourself or helping her along. I do that with Ozzy and he'll eventually get frustrated because I'm staring at him waiting for him to do what I told him, and he'll end up doing it. Then he gets tons and tons of praise.

But I will say, for 10 weeks, that's pretty darn good! :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
What a smart puppy and loving all the great work you've done with so many commands. Great job.

And while it's wonderful that she knows the commands and will do them without rewards....

In the end, it's not about what they know.

It's their enthusiasm and wanting to interact/learn/and continue to do so well.

The WIILLINGNESS and ENTHUSIASM are what the treats are for. They aren't a bribe. Or us giving in when 'they should do it cause I said so'. It's to keep their drive and enthusiasm for learning.

See how your pup keeps kind of backing away and looking at you? Compare that to this puppy who's also learning and listening but getting tons of frequent treats...

Using treats is a GREAT AND WONDERFUL THING. All the best and most famous trainers use them. THEY WORK! So if it works for my puppy. And just means I need to be a bit more organized when training so I have the treats ready, then it's worth the effort for me to use them (and a toy) to keep my crazy happy puppy who loves to learn naturally......CONTINUE to be a crazy happy adult dog that loves to learn.

Because once you have a crazy happy puppy/dog that loves to learn you can teach them ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
That is so cute! Great job!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
What a smart puppy and loving all the great work you've done with so many commands. Great job.

And while it's wonderful that she knows the commands and will do them without rewards....

In the end, it's not about what they know.

It's their enthusiasm and wanting to interact/learn/and continue to do so well.

The WIILLINGNESS and ENTHUSIASM are what the treats are for. They aren't a bribe. Or us giving in when 'they should do it cause I said so'. It's to keep their drive and enthusiasm for learning.

See how your pup keeps kind of backing away and looking at you? Compare that to this puppy who's also learning and listening but getting tons of frequent treats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ZDNXO-J4U

Using treats is a GREAT AND WONDERFUL THING. All the best and most famous trainers use them. THEY WORK! So if it works for my puppy. And just means I need to be a bit more organized when training so I have the treats ready, then it's worth the effort for me to use them (and a toy) to keep my crazy happy puppy who loves to learn naturally......CONTINUE to be a crazy happy adult dog that loves to learn.

Because once you have a crazy happy puppy/dog that loves to learn you can teach them ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Hope people don't skip over this because therz lotz of wordz! ;) Excellent post!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Your pup is so cute! Love all the work you've done with her.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:wub:What adorable and smart pup you have

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Very cute puppy! I didn't see her backing away at all, and it appeared she was very interested in learning the tricks. Nice training job.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I do use treats with her, this was actually my first try with out them, just wanted to see how she would do.
:thumbup:

I didn't see her backing away at all, and it appeared she was very interested in learning the tricks.
Watch the video again..and maybe it's not so much a 'backing away' as a NOT being with/on top of/skin to fur cause the puppy is so eager..... that I'm talking about.

Even in the first few seconds of the video when the puppy is told to 'come' that puppy behind didn't more one millimeter closer to mom...she'd then told 'come here' a few more times and still the puppy behind didn't move (did offer a 'down' though, and that was adorable! :) )

Watch ilovelandonnrick and she always has to go TO the puppy, not the otherway around.

This is a great video of a wonderful smart puppy and it's clear how much ilovelandonnrick has been doing in a great way. But if she ups the amount of treats (real treats) that are always in both hands during training.... this same puppy will then COME when she says 'come' and be right there to continue the learning. As well as doing behaviors even faster!

Tricks and training aren't just about how our dogs CAN do what we ask, but the sign of the best trainers (and subsequently best trained dogs) have to do with the pups obvious attitude in training. I know when I started training I didn't know that information at all.

Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick is a GREAT article...

Good luck and I love your puppy ilovelandonnrick!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts