German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Daisy1986, I believe there is always the right home for each dog, you just have to find it, it may take a while but if you try hard enough, I think you will find the right home. I would try and find as many JRT boards as possible and see if anyone with JRT experience would be willing to work with the dog, or know of someone who could.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Thank you for your respone GSDBESTK9.

We had a JRT before. She just did not have this drive. I have heard and read about drive...this is just my first experience with it. Wow! I know someone in the sporting world would LOVE him.

I am trying to stay sympathatic to his needs. I know he is just as frustrated as I am.

To find him a home that someone could work him would be wonderful for everyone. (OR maybe open a mole hunting business), he got one the other day, it was unseasonably warm, yikes he is a lighting fast!

He just seems to be getting worse here instead of better.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My parents lab (my former family dog) is a nut case. He's way overly protective of my family, and growls at stranger coming into the home, even if they are a friend. Our vet actually told us he was a dog that she would probably recomend be put down. But to us, he is a loving, loyal, and sweet dog. They couldn't put him down because he's a nut, they just control the situations he's put in. We put him in a crate in a separate room when people come over. We have a very secure fence that he's in, even though when off loose he won't leave the property, and if he does, he's usually normal when on leash out and about. I'd feel like a real jerk if we had put him down just because he was an inconvience. And yes, we did socialize him like crazy as a pup. He went out everywhere with me, to people's houses, we had people over, but as he hit around 9-10 months he was just a an overprotective nut.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Originally Posted By: Daisy1986

I am trying to stay sympathatic to his needs. I know he is just as frustrated as I am.
I'm sure most of his problems you describe are coming from his frustration. If you could find him a home where they would do some type of sport with him, I'm sure he would be much happier.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Quote:Breeders rehome dogs, so I guess that makes us scum and everyone else saints?
If that's how you feel! But I never said that!

Nor have I knocked anyone for re-homing their dogs, that's there prerogative nor am I against it... Nor do I feel I'm a better person because I won't re-home mine.. and definitely not for the reason Carolina listed..

Like I said some are reading way to much into this thread..

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
My dog's wellbeing and happiness comes FIRST.

1. If my home was unsuitable and the dog was not happy, and
2. Another home was ideal re wellbeing/happiness of the dog, then

yes.

Having said that, my home WAS unsuitable(highrise in metropolitan city) so I moved to a cute apartment in the country. Not everyone can do that, or should.

Right now, I can say this: I *will be* an even better home for Grimm in about 1.5 - 2 years. Right now, his adolesent intensity craves more action, more adventure, more thrills.. he's a teenager and I'm 42 with health issues. I currently do the best that I can for him. By the time he is 3.5 - 4 and more settled, he will be perfectly fulfilled with the level of excersise, playtime, training games, and resting together that we share even more. Then, we will mesh together even better.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
But when comments are made that appear to be judgmental from other posts (in general here) I don't see where that's reading too much. I'm throwing other information out there for people to see it's not always black and white no matter how much we would like it to be.

End the end you have to do what your conscience and your morals allow.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did not plan on chiming in until I read the above post about the Jack Russell Terrier. Please feel free to PM me.

As for the question- I have re-homed 2 dogs as an adult. I say it that way because my bleoved Schipperke was given away when I was 12 and I was not given a choice in that matter. I was heartbroken and wanted to die.

The first dog I rehomed was my beautiful, wonderful JRT named Tori. It is a long story, but suffice it to say that I had no choice. I was a stay-at-home mom with a newborn and a 2-yr. old who was very young and very ignorant to different methods of training that I could have used to help her wildly jealous behavior after my second son was born. I was not looking to rehome her, but I was approached by a family friend who knew her and her brother. I did it. I suffered with severe guilt for several years. I would not get another dog. I was so devastated. Eventually, I got into rescue and my Sophie healed my heart. I did not take Sophie until I had checked with Tori's family. If they had been willing, I would have taken her back. I didn't ask for her and she was doing wonderfully. I was the one who was a mess!

My second re-homing was just as difficult. He was a foster that we kept and for health reasons, he began to need someone who could be with him 24/7. I tried to get my boss to let me bring him to work, thought about quitting my job. Then, God sent Bosco an angel and I let him go to a new home. It was so difficult on my boys. But, I let them make the decision. They were 6& 9 at the time. If a child can be selfless enough to give up their dog so he can have a better life, then so can I. I was never more proud of my boys. They learned a true lesson of how to put the dog's needs before their own.

I will not judge anyone for rehoming. But, I do think it is a case by case basis.

·
Registered
285 Posts
To answer the OP: I can't at this time imagine a situation that would cause me to consider rehoming either of my dogs, but I would certainly not hesitate to do so if it was in their best interests. If it was just a case of the dogs not getting along together, I would keep them separated at all times (which is what I'm doing right now). It's really not a big deal for me, I guess.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
We have not had to do this, but I would not condemn anyone who chose, with good reason, to do this. And the good reason is for the best thing for the dog. Another breeder that I know on this board just went through it and it was agonizing for her, but the best for the dog. The dog is VERY happy in her new home, her new family loves her.

"That is the point. Is the life you have with the dog better than the life someone else could give them? If not, then it's just plain selfish to keep the dog."

Very good point. It is about the quality of life for the dog, no matter what.

I would not be so black and white about people’s decisions. There are probably more there than meets the eye and what has been posted. We do not know what people have done prior to this final point to try to avoid getting to this decision. There have been people on this board that had been very adamant and critical about “ I would never do that” and then have quickly changed their minds when a situation has come up that directly affected them.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Quote: That is the ONLY reason why I rehomed my dogs.
Okay so here's question... And you don't have to answer it if you don't want too!

What made you re-home the prior 3 dogs that were there the longest? Why did you not re-home or return Gala? Since she is the one causing all the problems? Or Sam?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Is there something going on behind the scenes here? I think the questions are in line since there were asked to the original poster who started the thread under the discussion topic.

I have seen people say this is what I would or would not do I haven't seen anyone say that someone else is a no good SOB for doing it differently.

<Shrug>

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I agree Betty....I don't see anything wrong with that question either? I read it and thought it was a legit one and not "borderline bashing" especially considering how Leesa phrased it.....

It's obvious that the op cares about all her present and past dogs and makes sure any she has had to rehome go into a good home.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here......

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Originally Posted By: Betty101Life would be so much easier if there were more right or wrong answers!

LOL
Very true!

I think each one must make thier own personal choices based on the needs of the human family, the ability of the primary caregiver and the dog.

I have re-homed one dog and one cat. Each one was very difficult.

The cat is living the life of riley with our admin assiatant. She jokes that we got him so we would be able to to give him to her. He is happier with her than he was with us and my other pariah cat is not living in terror under my bed. How can this be bad?

The dog was a rescued GSD that was on her 4th home in 18 months. She was so needy and so insanely jealous that my old dog was at risk with her life and Max hid behind the sofa most of the time. I had horrible guilt and cried like a baby when I returned to rescue after a 6 month - literal- war zone in my house. That was over 6 years ago. The old dog died a year later, could I have waited her out? Yeah maybe but how do we know when they are to die? BTW the rescue was donated to the St. Louis MO PD. She is a detection dog. She is there and has succeeded partially because of the work I did with her. WIN-WIN!

Never say never or always.

Today - having more experience and better ability to deal with a greater range of issues perhaps she would still be in my home. Perhaps not. She was a dog that really NEEDED a full time job.

Judge not........

41 - 60 of 244 Posts