German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to rehome my GSD..

She had a surgery done to both hers eyes close to 4 years yrs.
(with the help from people here, donating money)

Her eyes are doing awesome.. No pain, eyes saved.
Problem is.. Her eyes now stay so wet, when she eats, her eyes drip,
We have to keep her on the other side of a gate, because her face stays wet
Just about 90%. She rubs her face on everything..

We don't have a backyard to let her get , we get her out for walks a couple times a day.. And that in turn becomes crazy, since her eyes water/drip so bad.. People around here are scared of her.
she's all black, a very big dog for a girl.. It is funny people have though she's a wolf........
In turn Nala has saved our teenager from sicko's 2 different times now...
Our son who use to have a trach/vent.. Home nursing Nala watched them like she was his mom.. We have talked to the fox valley vet who did the surgery and there's nothing he can do to stop this problem.. We are wanting to get out of town this summer in June, there is no one who will look after her, because of her eyes. we cant to board her like we have in the past.

also, our son we learned as autism, I have heard dogs can become such a help with kids with autism, we cant keep Nala by our son for long, due to her face being wet, he then in turn, gets it on him and his fingers go in his mouth..
UGG, I'm hurt, don't know what to do..
Advice please............ Don't want her going to shelter, sell, rehome online........

Beverly

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
This is very sad- you want to get rid of your NINE year old dog because she has a medical problem?!? The same dog that saved your teenager twice and watched over your son like her own child? How sad for your dog.
Do you know how many people on here who have lost their dog before they were blessed to spend 9 years with them - people who would do anything to have their dogs back and would be willing to wipe their eyes 24 hours a day just to have them with them.
This makes me so incredibly angry - I would do anything for my dog and would be blessed to have him at nine years old, drippy eyes and all!
I can't believe this...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I'd recommend posting a message in the Health section of the forum to find out if anyone can give you some advice about the drippy eyes. There are a lot of people here with extensive knowledge and experience about many kinds of health problems.

Your GSD would be the happiest staying with you and after all she's done for your sons, she definitely deserves that--especially at her age. Please give it a try! I just know that you'll get some useful information that will help your girl.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
There are a lot of things I don't understand about your post, you won't be able to board her because of her eyes, many places do extra things like meds, eye drops. I have 2 senior dogs right now and I could never ever imagine thinking about getting rid of them for any reason. Figure out what you need to do for your dog and care for her.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Beverly where are you located at? Reach out to your local GSD rescue please. You are going to get some really negative feedback here I am sure, as I can agree with others but bashing you is not going to help the dog. If you absolutely cannot keep her please reach out to a GSD rescue who can make sure she stays safe and has someone to love her through the rest of her golden years. She deserves that at minimum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried to get in touch with the couple local GSD rescue places.

and NO I am not doing nothing wrong, I feel bad for my dog, I feel that she should be able to be in a better home!! to bash me, really hurts.. no one understands what we have been through. and to board her, we HAVE done that before, we can not afford it this time. she is not on meds or eye drops.. she just needs to have her eyes dry after she eats. we are going to be gone for 11 days.. NO one can afford to pay for a kennel for that long.. But, this has nothing to do with us going out of town.

it has to do with the fact that, she has no yard to run around in, we live in a townhouse,
so she is stuck in downstairs.. if we have her upstairs by us, it don't last long.. she starts rubbing her face all over the carpet and every where.. I have tons of paper work to show that we have done right by Nala.. vets, meds, kennels, grooming..
I'm not dumping her off some where.. letting her go.. beating her or hurting her. we love her, and feel so upset, that she has to live like this, not being able to move around more, like a yard.. so I get bashed for only trying to save her..

DR.shot knows us.. she helped us a couple years ago when Nala got the dry eye thing and was going to have to go blind or eyes closed or put to sleep.. with the help of her and some other people, Nala got her eyes saved..
in my last post, I was trying to say how Nala means to us.. still no need to bash me.

i'm sorry I reached out, to people here, I thought someone could help give Nala a great home..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you willing to keep her until suitable home can be found? So the organization does not have to find somewhere to keep her etc. Is she update to date on all shots etc. And finally is she spayed? Let me know so I can help direct you in the right direction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah we had her and our other dog on the band field health plain ( though the vet), she been fixed since a puppy, because she had that belly hurnia.. makes me so mad, it has to be the way she was breed.. ( the line) she always gets ear infects, and other problems..

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would start at the below link and email each of them individually asking them to do a courtesy posting for you. Rescues often do not want to take owner surrenders for a laundry list of reasons but if you absolutely must get rid of her which although I am not going to bash you for I disagree with, please reach out to them and ask them to put a courtesy post on them. Do not be surprised to be met with hesitation or worse. Make sure you tell them you will house her until she finds a home, that she is current on her shots etc.

Petfinder.com - Animal Welfare Organizations Near You

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
I"m a little confused. Are you looking to rehome her because you are going on vacation and can't afford to board her for 11 days?

We are wanting to get out of town this summer in June, there is no one who will look after her, because of her eyes. we cant to board her like we have in the past.
we are going to be gone for 11 days.. NO one can afford to pay for a kennel for that long
Or are you looking for someone to take care of her for those 11 days?

If you are rehoming her because you are going on vacation...there are many places that will board for a reasonable amount or you can have someone come in and care for her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as for us going out of town.. we use to have someone come and take her out. in my last post I said, this has nothing to do with us going out of town.. this past Jan 2013. our son got a wish from the kids wish network, for 5 days.. we paid for Nala to be in the kennel.

this entire subject has to do with, giving her a better home. even if we were not going out of town. nala needs her face wiped even if she's not eating..

I was just replying to the one post before when someone said, kennels will give meds/eye drops. we don't even know yet if we are going out of town..

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
as for us going out of town.. we use to have someone come and take her out. in my last post I said, this has nothing to do with us going out of town.. this past Jan 2013. our son got a wish from the kids wish network, for 5 days.. we paid for Nala to be in the kennel.

this entire subject has to do with, giving her a better home. even if we were not going out of town. nala needs her face wiped even if she's not eating..

I was just replying to the one post before when someone said, kennels will give meds/eye drops. we don't even know yet if we are going out of town..

If this is not a financial thing but rather an unwillingness to perform the task, I urge you to reconsider... it will be very, very difficult for a rescue to find a home for a special needs senior, and as others have said many will not take owner surrenders. Do you really, really want to risk her last period of time here being miserable because you don't want to wipe her face? From what you're saying, you're giving the impression that you just don't feel like doing it, so if there's another factor such as financial, you should be forthright about it. You'll get a lot more people willing to help.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Its all just very confusing. You have a 9 year old senior dog with special needs and her chances of finding a good home are going to be a whole lot less than a young healthy dog finding one. Young healthy GSDs are put to sleep every day for lack of a home. GSDs typically live 10-12 years. Every dog I have ever owned has cost me a lot more money in medical bills its last year or two of life than the sum of those earlier years.

I am not casting judgement on you, just stating that you are expecting a lot for someone to dive in and take over an older dog who has been attached to you and your family since she was a puppy. It is a large emotional commitment as well as an unknown but probably significant financial commitment. I guess for many of us, it just would not cross our minds despite having been places in our lives where our family pets have not been convenient for us...call it what you may but keeping her and loving her may BE what is best for her.

She may not even know what to do with a yard if she has not known that life; she knows her life with you and may be quite miserable about the prospects of changing everything she ever knew.

There are those with love and money who may do it and, like the others, I guess breed rescue would be your best bet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
when my son is home, I am on my toes with him 24-7.. he's 5 years old and has autism, he hits himself, flaps, stims 24-7. does not talk.. its very stressful right now trying to potty train him. meltdowns and him hitting me.. like I said before. NO one understands, so were does this leave nala.. when my husbands home he helps, our teen helps, with her, if not then this leaves her down stairs, because I'm busy with my son.. no one in this house hold is lazy.. I'm lucky if I can sit down and even watch TV. that's not until after my sons in bed. I work, my husband works.. theres days he's at work with over time 16 hours. we had Nala before I had my son.. nala has been family.. I just feel hurt that she does not come 1st no more. Like I said IM sorry..

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am sorry for what sounds like a very stressful situation. You are very clearly overwhelmed. The chances of her finding another home are very, very slim because of her age and her runny eyes. IT also sounds like she is very bonded to your family and a very valued member of your family.

Have you posted in the Health section of this board about her runny eye problem? There are some holistic supplements that might help and would certainly be worth trying.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
You said the people on this board helped raise money for her eye surgery? What was your username at that time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sorry for what sounds like a very stressful situation. You are very clearly overwhelmed. The chances of her finding another home are very, very slim because of her age and her runny eyes. IT also sounds like she is very bonded to your family and a very valued member of your family.

Have you posted in the Health section of this board about her runny eye problem? There are some holistic supplements that might help and would certainly be worth trying.

Thank you Ruth..
and yes Nala is my baby too.. I was upset 4 yrs ago, when one of the treatments would be putting her to sleep...

just upsetting, cuz, I feel like she's depressed , she gets so over excited when shes by us, because the little dog, and the 2 cats.. I wish her eyes never got like this..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts