German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are good reasons and bad reasons to rehome a pet?

What price would be acceptable for rehoming fee?

I see a lot of talk, more negative about the subject. And with the huge loss of jobs, many people loosing their homes, the rehoming is higher than ever it seems.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I don't really view it as good and bad reasons to rehome. I think it's more of selfish and unselfish.

Selfish -

No training and refusal to do so
New baby so refusal to take care of the dog
Moving and won't take with
redecorated and doesn't match the furniture

Unselfish
- Lost job
- Lost home
- Catastrophic Illness
- Unable to properly care for a dog because of any of the above
- have dogs that can not get along so all are suffering due to lack of proper attention and stress

What I've seen is that once someone makes up their mind to get rid of their dog for selfish reasons, there is really no point to trying to reason with them. Just help them rehome the dog because the dog is what is important.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I got a plea tonight from a local trainer who has a client with a 5 month old GSD puppy...he has Parkinson's and is deteriorating and cannot handle the pup due to his health. He is very distraught at the thought of giving up the puppy... will be giving to rescue...
Good reason

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I think being unable to care for your dog due to your illness or home/job loss are valid reasons. Maybe even that you can not handle the dog, its probably better off with someone else. Bad reason...we just had a baby, this one peeves me off big time.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Good post Jax :)

·
5,627 Posts
I don't really view it as good and bad reasons to rehome. I think it's more of selfish and unselfish.

Selfish -

No training and refusal to do so
New baby so refusal to take care of the dog
Moving and won't take with
redecorated and doesn't match the furniture

Unselfish
- Lost job
- Lost home
- Catastrophic Illness
- Unable to properly care for a dog because of any of the above
- have dogs that can not get along so all are suffering due to lack of proper attention and stress

What I've seen is that once someone makes up their mind to get rid of their dog for selfish reasons, there is really no point to trying to reason with them. Just help them rehome the dog because the dog is what is important.
:thumbup: Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for typing it up so I didn't have to!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
So what are good reasons and bad reasons to rehome a pet?

What price would be acceptable for rehoming fee?

I see a lot of talk, more negative about the subject. And with the huge loss of jobs, many people loosing their homes, the rehoming is higher than ever it seems.
I don't think anyone should charge a rehoming fee to rehome their pet. There should not be any type of "reward" for rehoming a pet. No amount of money garantees that the dog has found a good home, it is your job to ensure the dog finds a good forever home.

I think most rehoming is done by people who were irresponsible. Lots of people are having tough times and they find a way to keep their dogs. I think the economy has become a scapegoat for people get rid of their pet with little backlash.

***ETA***
I type slow, great post jax :thumbup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
I see rehoming fees all the time on Craigs List...I don't think its right to do that!

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I think people charge money because they do not want to see the dog go to dog fighters or people who will sell the dog to a lab. Kind of like earnest money, and also so that a dog is not free.

Lots of the people here probably have had free dogs and they are the best dogs ever and have the best owners possible, BUT the vast majority of pet owners are not on these sites. And some people really view a free dog differently. They have less trouble dragging the dog to the pound because they got it for free, etc.

So people want to be sure that you are in earnest and will not just dump the dog or give it to someone who will hurt it.

I think that if you buy an older dog, it would depend on what the dog has. Is the dog coming with AKC paperwork? Does the dog have hips and elbows checked? Is the dog trained and has the dog reached a level of training where it has earned a certificate or title. All of these things and possibly others might make the dog more valuable to you if you want to persue those things, but even if not, it means that the previous owners put time and effort into the dog. Chances are the dog will not be listed on Craig's list, but you might find one like that through a breeder.

At minimum, you will want to have some indication that the dog has been checked by a veterinarian and has been heartworm tested, prior to giving any money for the dog.

I agree with not arguing with the selfish reasons, if the person is that selfish, the dog needs out, no reason to shame the person into keeping their dog.

I think that sometimes people bite off more than they can chew, sometimes dogs are just not right for their owners. The owners should be happy that you will take their dog and give it a good home. It should not be about how much money they can make off of the dog. This is not the same as someone selling a green dog, or a started dog, etc, mostly for just pet dogs.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I rehomed a puppy months ago. I charged a $50 rehoming fee and basically gave the food, the pen, the house, and etc away to the new owner. I could've been like those other people and charged a higher rehoming fee, but I wasn't worried about the money. I just wanted her to be happy, with a home that would allow her inside with them. They could give her a better life.

I miss my girl.

It pisses me off when people bash others who have rehomed their pets. Everyone makes mistakes and I see those bashers as judgemental. Now, I understand it when someone rehomes a dog just because the dog doesn't match the furniture, but it's unfair when you bash someone because they lost their job and they decided to rehome their pet because they can no longer afford the pet.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well there are a few different things that fall under can't afford to keep the pet. Some people got the dog and could afford the $200 to buy the puppy but then can't afford the shots or the dog broke its leg and they can't or wont come up with the money to fix it or food got too expensive even though they buy cheap $10 for 40 lb food and just claim they can't afford the dog but for some reason a good portion of the people giving up a dog because they "can't afford it" tend to still have another dog they are keeping or my all time annoyance I've been seeing lately is they have 2 dogs and are moving and decided they are only taking 1 with them WTH?????

I can understand both sides of the arguement I did rescue for quite awhile and you see people just tossing animals away all the time and then are mad that WE don't take them and let them die in shelters when its the people who put them there that are at fault but they sleep peacefully while we get no sleep because we are upset about one we couldn't save.

I have also had to rehome a pet before so I can understand sometimes you have too. We are military and always moved our dogs with us however got stationed in Korea and there was no on post housing so we had to live off post and the black market for dog meat is super high they break into homes and kidnap dogs to turn into food and large dogs are the top targeted because its more lbs. We discussed temporary so we could take the dogs back but realized that 2 years in a new home then up-rooting them again would be unfair to the dogs so we placed them in a home made up a legal signed contract to contact us if they could never keep for any reason we would take them back and we said we were charging a rehoming fee however could not place a price on our babies so after talking for weeks to the new family they finally asked the price and we didn't charge them a penny everyone knew it was not about money. 3 years later and we still keep in very close contact with the family and have become good friends and get constant updates on the boys. It was super hard on us (still is miss them like crazy) but it was what was right for the dogs.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
There are times where sometimes it's best for the animal to be rehomed.

We rehomed one of our French bulldogs for his own safety. I think that was a valid reason to rehome him. We were afraid that we were going to come home to a dead dog one day. He and our other Frenchie would get into vicious fights and there was no way that we could find to make it stop, other than to find one of them a new home.

I don't think that charging a rehoming fee is necessary. We could have charged a rehoming fee, but we didn't. We just wanted to find him a good home, and I don't think we could have found Yoda a better home if we tried. I think that if you know what questions to ask and are really set on finding a good home for your dog (or whatever pet you are rehoming) it's easy to avoid the labs and people who feed the free kittens to their snakes.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Please, rehoming fee? They are selling the dog, plain and simple. What is this, Best Buy and you charge a fee to restock it? I've taken in rescues, and found them good homes and didn't charge a penny. Even if I had the dog for awhile, did some training, got the shots updated, whatever. I was just happy the dog was getting a home and would be part of a family. If it was my own personal dog, I would feel even more ridiculous charging a fee. If I had to place the dog, whether due to hardship or whatever reason I would be glad someone would take on the dog and treat it well. Unless you are a legitimate rescue of some sort, then you are not rehoming a dog, you are getting rid of one!
Now personally I've had dogs I've sold, but they were dogs I raised and trained that filled a specific need for someone, and I absolutely took money for those dogs. I just called it a sale, not a fee ;).

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think what bothers me most about this thread is the non-word "rehome".

Give away. Adopt. All the "new" non-words added to our language. No wonder people have such a hard time learning English - we keep inventing new words...geez.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
This would fall under the UNselfish category. :)

I have also had to rehome a pet before so I can understand sometimes you have too. We are military and always moved our dogs with us however got stationed in Korea and there was no on post housing so we had to live off post and the black market for dog meat is super high they break into homes and kidnap dogs to turn into food and large dogs are the top targeted because its more lbs. We discussed temporary so we could take the dogs back but realized that 2 years in a new home then up-rooting them again would be unfair to the dogs so we placed them in a home made up a legal signed contract to contact us if they could never keep for any reason we would take them back and we said we were charging a rehoming fee however could not place a price on our babies so after talking for weeks to the new family they finally asked the price and we didn't charge them a penny everyone knew it was not about money. 3 years later and we still keep in very close contact with the family and have become good friends and get constant updates on the boys. It was super hard on us (still is miss them like crazy) but it was what was right for the dogs.
Maybe the categories should actually be responsible/irresponsible. I think that fits better.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I found a new home for a female gsd once, it was the only time I've ever done that. She was 7 mos old, she earned a STAR puppy, went to basic obedience, I had private in-home training but we never hit it off. There was no real bonding, she seemed to just tolerate me, her activity level was way beyond my ability at the time. I found a young couple online that was looking for a high energy 7 mo old female that could keep up with their 7 mo old male gsd. It was a match made in heaven! She could not be happier, they just adore her, it's a much better home for her. I didn't charge for her, but they insisted on giving my $200 for her crate, bed, food, prong collar, leash, etc. I guess I would fit the 'responsible' category and maybe even the 'selfish' one because I wanted to find her a place where she could thrive and love her family- now she has that

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
That's why I think responsible/irresponsible is a better way to describe it. The reasons could still be selfish (in that it's better for you) but still responsible (because it's better for the dog as well).

I don't find your actions irresponsible or selfish. You knew you were over your head with the drive of the dog and put her in a better home. I know of one person on here who did the same thing through her breeder (a breeder on here) and both are much better off and happier.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well thanks, I still take a lot of heat over finding her a home- people still say I "got rid of her" which wasn't the motivation at all. Knowing what I know now, I could have kept her but when her new owners send me pictures of her sleeping with her head on the other dogs's stomach I know I did the right thing

·
2,967 Posts
Interesting question. I think it depends on the circumstances. I agree with others that their are good reasons and there are bad reasons and many of them could be avoided altogether if people wouldn't impulse buy their dogs wither from CL or from the shelter. If people were more committed then I don't think we would have nearly the problem with rehoming that we do now.

We rehomed a White Shepherd that we got from the Humane Society. We had her for almsot a year. Sweetheart of a dog but with Severe Separation Anxiety that our house simply could not accomodate or manage. We finally found someone that we felt could adequately care for her with her condition whose job was in dog rescue- so she could have her with her almost all the time. We gave them her collars, her food, all of her toys, her crate, and made annual donations to the rescue as a show of our appreciation for taking her when we couldn't do it anymore. So basically we paid them. :)

Right now I have 5 dogs- 5 very active working dogs. If something were to happen to my DH or I we would have to seriously look at reducing our pack because there is simply no real way for one of us to give adequate time to so many. I would sell them- and not for a pittance. (Unless it was a good friend that I knew well would give the kind of home I would want) I feel that advertising and selling the dogs targeted to my specific market would probably give my dogs their best chance for he kind of home I would want for them. They have AKC papers, full vet records, and a higher level of training than the average pet. The ones I would sell are young enough to continue their training and compete with a novice handler who wouldn't want to start a dog.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Please, rehoming fee? They are selling the dog, plain and simple.

I have to disagree with you here. I just rehomed an American Bulldog. The dog was given tome to try and title in schutzhund and after having him for about 6 months it became readily apparent that he did not possess the right drives. I was requesting a $200 rehoming fee for the dog. Why?

$200 is enough money to make a person think about the decision they are about to make. How many people have taken things that were free with little thought to what use they actually had for the item? Had the perfect home came along I surely would have waived the fee and as it happens my father took the pup and paid me nothing. Awesome.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts