German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thank you for letting me join. A friend of mine told me about this site and maybe you all can give me some insight about my issue.

I have a GSD almost 16months old. She has been regressing horribly in her training and not wanting to be trained unless I have treats (sometimes even with what I thought was high value treats, she doesn't want to be trained). We recently moved from the east coast. In our old house, she was potty trained by 4 months old. She knew sit, down, stay, wait, leave it, loose leash, drop and "4 on the floor" by 7months.

Near the end of our last house (around 10months old), she started acting out. I figured it was adolescence and hit the basics again. She just started not wanting to do things unless I gave her higher value treats. She went through her heat cycle and forget doing training. All she wanted to do was act out. By the time we got to Colorado, she was out of heat and I thought we would get back into training. She was 13months old at that point. But she just didn't want to train. She would jump at my hand to bite the treat out of my hand. She never EVER tried to jump at me for the treat so I started looking for other reasons why she was still acting this way. I thought because we stayed in a hotel for a month that maybe that's why she was acting out was due to the stress.

now we have been in our home for 2 months and she has peed and pooped in three rooms of the house. In our last home, I did the tethering thing to her when she was a baby to prevent this. Now I feel like I have to treat her like a baby again because even if we were just outside for a walk or something, she holds her potty til we get back to the house. She knows the cue of potty but she doesn't do it. We had people come over to see our new home and help us with unpacking and she jumped up on them so much that she ended up causing them to drop a dish of food. She knows the cue for "No jump" but she just didn't want to do it. She has had these situations before where other people walked into our house and she listened. I have tried having her normal training treats and tell her "Come" but she doesn't want to listen. When I tell her to sit, she looks at me and walks away. I also thought maybe getting a hot dog or cheese as those are high value so She sat long enough to get the cheese out of my hand and took off to jump at my friend who was sitting on the couch and she knows better than being up on the furniture.

I have tried giving her more exercise to wear her out. I've also tried her stimulation games that we used to play. She will fight me every step of the way when we are out walking or running and her stimulation games, she ignores til I finally go to pick them up and drop out the high value treats anyway. Now I'm at my wits end. I want to contact a trainer but the last one I contacted told me this "Some dogs learn with rewards, others won't learn unless given a stimuli to help them understand that you are done with the nonsense. I will teach you to give them the stimuli and if they do what you are asking, you give them a reward instead." I'm assuming stimuli means e-collar. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Z isn't even potty trained anymore and that was my breaking point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm sorry you feel this way. I had a similar experience with my Golden Retriever at the beginning of his training. He isn't food motivated, so we trained him with his toys. Everytime he did something right he was rewarded with a tennis ball. Maybe you could try to do the same? Or maybe find something your dog really likes, and make it her reward? Some GSDs aren't food/treats motivated, especially after the puppy stages.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with Steve Strom to go back to the beginning. Believe me except for the lapse in the potty training which for that at least I am thankful for, my Baron at 16 months attempted to pull the same stunts as your gsd. Now, granted, your gsd could be stressed out from the move and is coping with her heat cycle. Baron has no such excuse. Baron didn't want the treat no matter how high value. He wanted his own way. And so I had to teach him that his actions had consequences. I gather from your post you are not familiar with this type of training. I would suggest you contact a trainer in your area. if you are fortunate to have a board and train in your area and the funds, I would suggest looking into that also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have heard of this before, seems the dog does not understand it's their new home, since they are not at "home" its ok to go anywhere.

·
Registered
16,066 Posts
It's usually a handler screw up BTW. New house, someone else's smells, maybe someone else toileted inside.... but just back up, confine her so that she doesn't have free access etc. Same with other training. Go back until it works. What I'd guess is that the handler (aka OP, aka You) was stressed more than you realized with the move, dog lost focus, handler screwed up the rewards (timing, marking, etc.), dog's lack of focus intensified due to handler mess ups and handler stress and dog's stress.

So yeah, just back up and start again. Keep in mind that dogs were put on this earth to keep us humble and dog sports/training etc was invented to make sure there were witnesses.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
So yeah, just back up and start again. Keep in mind that dogs were put on this earth to keep us humble and dog sports/training etc was invented to make sure there were witnesses.

:grin2: Okay that made me splurt my coffee!

I'm about to head off to training shortly. Will remember to share that!! >:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts