German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
has your pup been on a raw diet his entire time home?
No. He came here on biscuits (I think Acana or Orijen) then we had him on Orijen.

Then maybe 2-3 weeks of this then we chucked him on raw and, I think, new crate and new location in same room. For the first week, it was awesome. No accidents. Less pooh in general. Then he got diarrhea, started poohing the crate and then after this, also started peeing the crate.

Now he has no furry treats, a probiotic and his pooh is great but the peeing is bad.

·
Super Moderator
7,721 Posts
i’m just wondering if his body is still adjusting to such high water content of raw... especially since you mention he eats a lot. i’d probably explore that... add an additional mealtime so his meals are smaller, or see if you can find freeze dried raw and do half/half. my boy went from drinking a bowl of water a day to barely a quarter.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep! He drinks much much less.

Also, when he pees on his plastic crate mat.. we usually just towel it up. We did enzyme clean his mat recently but it's definitely not every time as I thought it was impermeable.

Interesting point but can he buils up enough urine to pee 10 minutes after going the first time all because of raw?

He eats a lot - 640g of mince mix, 220g chopped steak, maybe a chicken neck or two and 30 bits of Ziwipeak a day maybe. Seems within normal range on the feeding guidelines we were given once adjusted for activity?

·
Super Moderator
7,721 Posts
...if his body hasn’t adjusted or he hasn’t learned to empty his bladder fully. if i drink cheap coffee, sometimes i’ve had to pee several times within an hour vs being able to go a few hours normally.

separate thought - i know it may sound counter intuitive, especially right in the midst of potty training, but i might also try withholding praise or treats or anything that you normally do after he pees outside... perhaps he’s “rushing” (ie not emptying his bladder fully) in anticipation of a reward.

idk... just offering some things for you to consider.

Reactions: MyWifeIsBoss

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I walk any of my dogs they don’t seem to empty their bladders on the first go, there’s always a reserve held back to use in marking many other spots.

·
Super Moderator
7,721 Posts
When I walk any of my dogs they don’t seem to empty their bladders on the first go, there’s always a reserve held back to use in marking many other spots.
same here, in the context of a walk, which my dog recognizes...
when i let him out to pee before leaving for work, or going to bed - he empties his bladder.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My two cents is that you have to get a handle on the diarrhea before you can address the accidents. Once that is under control, go back to the beginning with crate training. You will have to take him out frequently, including during the night at first. Then slowly increase the time between trips outside.
You may want to get him checked for bladder/urinary track infections as well for any stomach parasites etc.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hey! Were you watching me last night?! Oh wait, you're talking about your pup...

There you go- day 1.

Good on you! 🤙🏽

21 - 31 of 31 Posts