German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hiiii!

14 weeks. We first thought his bout of diarrhea (gone now - I wonder if it's the probiotics or that we don't feed him so many rabbit tails/venison/lamb ears with the fur on?) was what was making him soil the crate. Then he started peeing too.

So, we revisited things - his Kong was escaping under the divider of his 48" crate and it was too big - we fixed that but he's still peed and poohed since.

He peed the crate 10 minutes after having been put in the other day and same with pooh. I get the pooh thing as it's not as quick to get out but still.

I do wonder if it's some sort of anxious pee but I really don't know. My wife also seems to think that we wait for him to do his business plenty - he usually just ends up chewing grass.

He gets out of the crate minimum at 6am 9 12 3 6 and 9pm and again at 2am.

Fed commercial raw mix with meat and RMBs as well.

Gets out plenty to play, scent pads, training and all of that.

So, what to do?

We wonder:

1. Do we need to clean the crate mat with enzyme cleaner rather than just wiping/hosing off and bacterial wipe? It's that hard black plastic though.

2. Is a firm routine best or better to loosely randomise time out the crate based off his normal schedule? I.e. sometimes 6.15, 9.30, 11.45 as we as 6, 9, 12 etc?

3. Maybe my pup got used to pooping himself with diarrhea and now he's just cool with it?

4. Crate is possibly still too big?

5. Any other ideas? :)

20200914_135424.jpg

20200914_134219.jpg

Additional pic of when he's not peeohing 馃槀

20200913_205332.jpg

Premium Member
1. Is it the same crate as before, just with a divider now, or a whole new crate?
2. You posted his poop schedule- is his feeding schedule equally consistent?

Have you noticed any pattern of accidents occurring and the types of exercise/activities which preceded it? Or the meal content?

Some RMBs can be very rich, especially If marrow is still intact.

As usual, I'm mostly spitballing here, to try and see "the whole picture", as it were.

Finally- you have a great looking pup!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
1. Is it the same crate as before, just with a divider now, or a whole new crate?
2. You posted his poop schedule- is his feeding schedule equally consistent?

Have you noticed any pattern of accidents occurring and the types of exercise/activities which preceded it? Or the meal content?

Some RMBs can be very rich, especially. If marrow is still intact.

As usual, I'm mostly spitballing here, to try and see "the whole picture", as it were.

Finally- you have a great looking pup!
Thanks bro!

1. We DID notice more accidents moving him from his old 30" to his divided off 48" but memory is fallible.

2. Yes. Give or take.. and as much as we can. Give or take half an hour and 50g of feeding at a time.. he's pretty consistent.

I don't think we've noticed this.. he's a yelpy pup and we have and do take him out sometimes when he goes crazy but often he doesn't go then either!

Premium Member
I wonder if the divided crate just seemed to be "the same" to him and so he carried on, ahem-business as usual, as he'd been doing.

The easiest thing to change and start with, I think, would be to tighten up his bathroom intervals. Perhaps 3 hours is too long at this point.

That's where I would (and have done) start. Keep the same feeding schedule but shorten the time between potty breaks, giving him more chances for success.

Registered
At 14 weeks I took my pup out 100X a day but didn't have to at night more than once the first night or two for some reason. And the crate is definitely not too big, divided. My pup was in a 40" crate right away and a 48" crate a month later. Never had a single crate accident with either of my last two pups.

I'd accelerate that pee schedule and cut out the rabbit tails/venison/lamb ears entirely for now. Great looking dog there.

Super Moderator
When you take him out, do you typically wait for him to go? Or do you get him running around to facilitate the process?

I walk laps around my house, doing recall training and fetch to get him running, such gets things moving. At that age, when I hear him drink, I set a timer for 10 minutes. Then it's outside to run around, not to sniff and walk and meander. Activity gets things moving. I set a timer for 20 minutes after feeding. Same deal. Run around. Recall. Fetch. Whatever. Get the dog moving and he will go.

Registered
Yes to the enzyme cleaner for cleaning up any accident in the house or crate.
Ever get something icky on your hands and successfully get the smell of with water and a wipe...probably not. Dogs have very keen sense of smell. Enzyme cleaners actually neutralize the odors.
One thing you might try is take him out to potty. If he goes... yay! If he doesn't go take him in and crate him. After 5 minutes take him back out and see if he goes then.
Also, I always found my pups over the years would poop faster if we played outside for a few minutes first. Then I would tell them to go potty or go poop and often they would. If we just went out and wondered the yard it seemed they took forever to go if at all. A little exercise seemed to get things moving as it were.

Super Moderator
Yes to the enzyme cleaner for cleaning up any accident in the house or crate.
Ever get something icky on your hands and successfully get the smell of with water and a wipe...probably not. Dogs have very keen sense of smell. Enzyme cleaners actually neutralize the odors.
One thing you might try is take him out to potty. If he goes... yay! If he doesn't go take him in and crate him. After 5 minutes take him back out and see if he goes then.
Also, I always found my pups over the years would poop faster if we played outside for a few minutes first. Then I would tell them to go potty or go poop and often they would. If we just went out and wondered the yard it seemed they took forever to go if at all. A little exercise seemed to get things moving as it were.
:)

Reactions: MyWifeIsBoss

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, okay. Neat!

It seems to be a pee thing now. Maybe I'll just take him out more and move him around a bit 馃挄

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
UI aye. I didn't think of that.

I can't see him being scared - he's fine a lot. I suspect anxious pee too but I can't think what about?

Unless he just.. wants.. to be.. next to us.. at all times.

Registered
Could be UTI. Just ask the vet if you can bring in a pee sample. He may not need to go in for a full exam if they have seen him recently. Esp if he has been swimming. Doesn't hurt to rule it out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Could be UTI. Just ask the vet if you can bring in a pee sample. He may not need to go in for a full exam if they have seen him recently. Esp if he has been swimming. Doesn't hurt to rule it out.
Thanks for suggesting this. I'll call them tomorrow! (Thinking about it, maybe, maybe he does have signs of a UTI.)

Just peed in there again.

Registered
If he is licking his teeny weiner alot 馃槼and peeing frequent dribbles then maybe.
It makes you feel like you have to pee all the time but just little dribbles come out.
All the best

Registered
I tried to go read my Clorox wipes can to see if it contains ammonia but until I get an industrial magnet I'll be in the dark. Avoid cleaning with ammonia. And I would simplify his diet down to an appropriate high quality kibble dog food until his insides calm down.

I don't use a crate. I know, that annoys some folks. I treat dogs like they are part of the family. How is a dog supposed to learn it's his home if he doesn't have access to it? Bed time the whole pack goes to bed in the bedroom. Duke wanders the house most of the night, but he's there in the morning. And I think his housebreaking difficulty was one of intelligence, it just took time for him to 'get it'. Perhaps your little guy has equated the crate with punishment and making a mess in it gets him out of it while you clean? Try thinking like a dog.

Of course you want to rule out any possible medical reasons, but I figure you already know that.

Stick with it, it will be worth it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
I tried to go read my Clorox wipes can to see if it contains ammonia but until I get an industrial magnet I'll be in the dark. Avoid cleaning with ammonia. And I would simplify his diet down to an appropriate high quality kibble dog food until his insides calm down.

I don't use a crate. I know, that annoys some folks. I treat dogs like they are part of the family. How is a dog supposed to learn it's his home if he doesn't have access to it? Bed time the whole pack goes to bed in the bedroom. Duke wanders the house most of the night, but he's there in the morning. And I think his housebreaking difficulty was one of intelligence, it just took time for him to 'get it'. Perhaps your little guy has equated the crate with punishment and making a mess in it gets him out of it while you clean? Try thinking like a dog.

Of course you want to rule out any possible medical reasons, but I figure you already know that.

Stick with it, it will be worth it.
Okay, maybe we will do some more crate games but I feel like we've done a lot. I fed him a whole veal brisket in there yesterday and he's had a lot of treats in there!

I'm honestly praying for it to be a UTI, as it's a bit bizarre otherwise.

Registered
I have been dealing with the same thing and noticed my pups urine smells awful so we are doing the vet thing and dropped a urine sample off with him so thank you for being the one to post 馃槄 I hope your baby is ok and no uti issues going on with either of our pups but it would make more sense?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
I have been dealing with the same thing and noticed my pups urine smells awful so we are doing the vet thing and dropped a urine sample off with him so thank you for being the one to post 馃槄 I hope your baby is ok and no uti issues going on with either of our pups but it would make more sense?
Yes it would make a lot of sense and given that it's treatable then I would be relatively happy.. otherwise we have a puppy that seems like he gets everything I would've thought he needed.

I've collected his sample and dropping it off soon.

Super Moderator
has your pup been on a raw diet his entire time home?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts