German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a litter of pups, had corresponded with the breeder several times and upon asking for the AKC information of the parents so I could look up their pedigrees, I was informed that the sire of the pups is not AKC:
"Sire was imported from France and is titled French Ring obediance and protection trained, he does not have AKC papers, he's registered in France."

What registries are available in France? And would the dog be eligible to be registered with the AKC if it's registered with a legitimate French registry?

The more I talk with the lady, the more shady she seems. When I asked why they didn't have him registered here, her response was "the man we got him from still hasn't had him registered here."

It's a shame too.... I was really diggin' the pups and had gotten my hopes up.

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be. Guess I don't really need another dog right now anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
it happens all the time...people import a dog to train, compete in a sport or just to resell and do not bother to do the AKC registration....

IF all the French paperwork is in order, the dog can be registered with AKC...a clear chain of ownership, a transfer in the country of origin to the person who is registering the dog, DNA certification and then the litter can be registered. The longer they wait - the more expensive it all will become as the litter registration can be done late, but pricing goes through the roof....

I did a breeding to a Czech import - after the breeding, the owner said, OH I don't think he has AKC papers - just Czech...as if it had no importance!!! Luckily, he had allowed a club member to breed to him once, and she had done all the paperwork, including the DNA - but the AKC paperwork was of no importance to him! He said when he found out that it was done, oh I probably threw it away....!!! I had all the numbers from the AKC database and he signed off and all was fine...but it could have been a disaster as he really did not care to use the dog here in the States (he went back and forth to the CR a few times and was used there) and the paperwork was of no use to him.

Lee

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The breeder is saying she's going to have him registered, but it's too late for this litter. She's going to keep my name and call me when she gets his regisration in order.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they have him DNA tested, all his French papers are in order, then they can have him registered with the AKC... and then the puppies can be registered? Correct?

·
Registered
710 Posts
"Sire was imported from France and is titled French Ring obediance and protection trained, he does not have AKC papers, he's registered in France."

The French registry accepted by the AKC is Livre des Origines Français, or LOF. If the father has a number with this registry, then he can be AKC registered. It's possible that the father really isn't registered. That's the only reason I can think why somebody wouldn't bother to AKC register an import. I think all foreign imports have to have a DNA profile done with the AKC, but you'd have to check on that. I recently purchased an AKC DNA profile and it took 2 months to come back.

If you can't get any other information from the breeder, then I'd pass on this litter.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to pass on this one... further discussion reveals she doesn't know what OFA is.

If I'm going to get a pup, it's going to be from a respectable breeder, who knows the breed and how to breed correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts