German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know if this belongs here... So move it if it should t be here... :)

So last night I realized I still need to register kono. I'm a bit confused though... She has AKC, ACA, and APA. I've heard that ACA is for the phonys who can't get into AKC and that I should stay away from those with ACA papers. I've never heard of APA.

I thought I also read somewhere that AKC will allow dogs with ACA papers to be registered with them...

Can you shed some light on ACA and APA?

She did come from a BYB/Lambriar but just for future reference I want to know what those two are and what they mean to a buyer :)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
What do you mean she is AKC, ACA, APA? If she isn't registered, she is none of the above.

Which organizations are her parents registered with? Do you have a pedigree for her? And you'll only be able to register her with the AKC if both her parents were AKC registered.

ACA and APA are meaningless - anyone can register anything without proprer proof.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oops! I meant she has 3 different types of registration papers. So does that mean they just added APA and ACA for extra?

All three papers have her parents name on them... I've checked on AKC and her parents are registered on there.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
As long as your dog has valid AKC registration papers, I don't think they care what other registers you choose to register your dog with. I know I've had dogs registered with AKC along with other kennel clubs.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
AKC is the only recognized "official" kennel club in the US. So make sure she is registered AKC, and you are good to go! And as Gayle said, the other registration papers don't really mean anything, so I wouldn't bother sending them my money, but it won't affect her AKC registration if you did want to register her through the other registries at the same time.

ACA and APA are mostly used by puppy-millers to give their business some type of credibility, but sadly, there have been instances where on this board where people have posted their ACA pedigree, and it was an obvious fake. If it were me, I'd actually try to distance myself from those organizations.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The only two respected all-breed registries in the US are the AKC and the UKC. Cont. KC, ACA, APA (never heard of them), APRI, and the like are "industry" (read puppy mill/BYB) registries. Personally, knowing she came from a not-good breeder, I wouldn't even bother registering her. If you want to do AKC events like obedience, you can apply for a Purebred Alternative Listing. Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege

1 - 6 of 6 Posts