German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am a first time German Shepherd owner and I was wondering how everyone named their dogs when registering with the AKC? I’m at a loss of how to go about creating a name for his papers so any help would be awesome! The name he goes by is Echo, I named him for the military company my husband is in (Echo Company) and he is solid black as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Most reputable breeders will name the pup using the litter letter and their kennel name. Puppy buyer calls the pup what ever call name they want. Example - M litter, female pup registered name is Merica von der Traumwolfen. Puppy buyer calls her Nova.

What ever you do, do not pull a name from back in the pedigree, as using someone else's kennel name is highly frowned up.

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
American show line breeders typically don't use the letter naming, themes are popular. So it's the kennel name, and then something that follows the theme. For example, Russell is Lauremi's Paix. Kennel name is Lauremi, and its the Peace litter. Call name is anything you want.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
Remember that you can name him anything and still call him Echo. If you just print Echo, it may come back as Echo XXII. That may be fine for you.

I named my first GSD Frodo von Selzer. Selzer is my last name.
Then I named my first bitch Arwen Evenstar. She came back Arwen Evenstar XVI.

Well, guess 15 others thought that up first. Hmmmph!.

Dubya was Dubya Von Selzer

My fourth was Jenna Evenstar, she was the one and only.
Her sister is Babs Sweet Surprise. Because I wanted two girls, but got only one when I finally went to bed. When I woke to check on them a few hours later I had to count twice and then I checked the wettish pup, and it was Babs a girl. So I named them for George W (Dubya) Bush's twin daughters (Babs and Jenna).

Because I bought Rush, I did not put my kennel name on him. I named him MahaRushie Von Selzer, but I knew I couldn't pull off the German naming scheme, even though my dogs are mostly German, and I am mostly German. Well, I am American, with the highest concentration of German, but also Hungarian, English, Dutch, and Jewish. So a mongrel.

Evenstar is my kennel name. So after Babsy, all dogs that I own and have bred are named Evenstar's Heidi, Evenstar's Bear, etc. Joy is Evenstar's Joyful Endeavor. Evenstar's Milla, Evenstar's Ninja, Evenstar's Hepzibah, Cujo2 -- I never sent the papers in, he was neutered when I got him. Evenstar's Karma, Evenstar's Lassie, (Odie her mother is Odessa Von Aurelius, but I did not name her), Evenstar's Quinn, Evenstar's Ramona, Kojak is Eli Von Huerta Hof -- I did not name him, and Evenstar's Tinuviel is Tiny Tinny.

If you go on the AKC website, and register there, you can check the name to make sure it is ok before registering. I guess it is all what you want to do. You can have fun with it, be creative or just put down Echo and if it comes back with some Roman Numerals, it doesn't hurt him none.

Conley's Black Echo sounds good. Echo Vom Conleyhaus sounds esoteric. Whatever you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts