German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the scare of our lives last night. We live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, but there are some apartment complexes nearby with less than savory characters.

Regen woke us up at 12:45 a.m. barking and growling- we thought she had had a bad dream or something. But then, we hear noises at the front door- someone starts banging and ringing the doorbell, and then trying to open the door! Regen went nuts, she barked this deep bark we haven't heard before.

My crazy husband actually went to the front window to find out who was banging on the door, and Regen barked in the background. There was some crazy lady out there with someone else in the car...PARKED IN OUR DRIVEWAY. She was saying she needed help, and David said he would call a number if she wanted him to, but the number she gave him was disconnected. We called the police, but they drove away as soon as they realized that that was what he was doing.

There was no way we were going to open the door at 1 in the morning for a stranger, but I wonder what Regen would have done if we did. Her hackles were up. She usually sleeps in her crate, but we were both so freaked out that we let her out of her crate for the rest of the night...and she slept with her body blocking the bedroom door. In the morning, after my husband left for work, she hopped on the bed and was at the foot of the bed. It felt like she was guarding me...but I still wonder if we had opened the door, would she have tried to attack the person if it was obvious that we weren't welcoming them in?

Has your GSD ever encountered an intruder in the house while you were home?

Needless to say, I didn't sleep last night.:(

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank God for your dog!! :) The same sort of thing happened to me about 15 years ago - I had a dobie at the time - it's a way for nefarious types to get in your house for a home invasion... "ooo i'm having (fill in blank) issue - please let me in to use your phone" my boy Max was going BANANAS - and almost made it through the door - I put phone on speaker called 911 - they took off. I'm sure they had a some sort of weapon - we actually had string of people getting into houses that had dogs - stabbing the dogs and making off with stuff - it's sick.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have lived in similar "diverisfied" neighborhoods in my life as well. And, yes, my GSDs have done a good job on chasing the bad guys right off of our property. On numerous occassions.

Shortly after moving into this home when London was less than a year old I was eating my lunch in the kitchen. London was right at my feet semi-snoozing. A "worker-guy" (whom I explicitedly told to NOT walk in my home, always ring the front doorbell if he had questions) walked right in the back door! London was awake and flying through the air at lightning speed! The guy turns on a dime and rushes for the door, his body made it out but London grabbed his baggy loose khaki pants and tore them right off! I was SHOCKED at how fast he reacted. So the guy slammed the door and London was standing inside with his pants in his mouth. It was a bit humorous since no one was hurt. A good lesson for the "worker-guy" on how to behave around a GSD. :)

None of my GSDs ever liked it when strangers entered the back door unannounced or suspicous characters at the front door. So I do feel that Regen would've ripped into those bad guys as well.

London sleeps at the foot of my bed everynight. After having my home broken into more than once in my lifetime, I sleep SO much better with a 90# GSD at my feet.
Good luck to you. And stay safe.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
How scary!

I wouldn't have been able to sleep at all.

Are you going to increase your security?

I live in a bad neighborhood

I have alarms on all of my windows and doors (not electronic but they are extremely loud). I have stickers on my front door and back door about my alarm system and I have Beware of Dog signs by my front door and back door. My GSD sleeps in my room with the door shut and locked and his crate is open. My cousins room is on the other side of the house and her door is shut and locked and her Rottweiler is in her room with his crate open.

When the dogs hear something they always bark and that Rotts bark is the loudest and most intimidating bark I have ever heard and you can bet your butt that if I heard that I would definitly not break in. :wild:

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Never in the middle of the night but we have had our usually friendly female GSD persuade a very pushy salesman to remove his foot from the door very quickly when my wife (home alone) told him that she wasn't interested in what he was selling and he tried to keep selling! Amazing what a growl and lunge from an adult GSD will accomplish sometimes to make up a persons mind!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
To all of the above " GOOD DOGGIE ". :)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I was 12 and home sick from school, my parents had an Insurance Agency literally 5 minutes from the house, they left me watching TV in their room with our German Shepherd, Baron. Baron was a cheap byb dog we got for 50.00 out of the newspaper, in those days that is where you got your dogs, or the "pound". My parents always came home for lunch so they figured I was safe for a few hours in a very quiet, safe neighborhood. I was asleep on the bed and was awakened by noise in the kitchen, thinking my parents were home I got up and went into the kitchen followed by Baron, I walked in to find a strange man going through the drawer in the den by the kitchen, he turned and our eyes met, I know what scared stiff means, as I completely froze, I was terrified, he had a very scary look on his face and for what seemed like eternity, we locked eyes, than I heard the most ferocious growling bark as Baron just shot forward and lunged at the man, he turned and started running through the den and kitchen trying to get away from the dog, I could see and hear the nails of Baron scratching and sliding all over the linoleum, the man started screaming at me to get my dog, but I couldn't, Baron was too strong for me to hold and he was in protection mode, the man ended up jumping through a plate glass window near the front door cutting his leg and bleeding all over the front porch, but he continued to run away down the driveway, we actually ended up being sued by this man who claimed he was making a delivery in the neighborhood and went to the wrong door, apparently Baron had grabbed his calf as he dove through the window and bitten him. Baron was our first Shepherd, but far from the last as he was the impetus for my long love affair with the breed.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
we actually ended up being sued by this man who claimed he was making a delivery in the neighborhood and went to the wrong door, apparently Baron had grabbed his calf as he dove through the window and bitten him. Baron was our first Shepherd, but far from the last as he was the impetus for my long love affair with the breed.
Oh that's rich!

"Umm... errr... yeah- I was, ummers..., trying to make a , um, delivery, and yeah- ugh, I happened to end up *INSIDE* their er,,, house in the kitchen... I think, um, I have a case, right?" :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts