German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I've got a gsd rottweiler cross-breed dog aged nearly 2 years oldd that got really weak due to severe tick infection. Can you tell me how to make him regain weight ? And if i could go more further i'd love him to gain more muscle and get bulkier what his diet should be like ??
And thank you :smile2:

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Never made them myself and they may not be appropriate for what your looking for, but I've seen others make satin balls to gain weight.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Has he been neutered? Neutering limits muscle building due to the lack of testosterone. For now he needs to gain health first. Don't make him fat by feeding him too much to make him gain weight. Be gentle with him regarding exercise, especially if he needs to build up his blood supply (red blood cells for oxygenating his tissue). Allow frequent rest periods between gentle training and exercise. This all will take time. What is your vet's advice? More unsolicited advice: don't baby him because of his history; show him who is in charge, what the rules are from the very start (gentle)
Thank you for rescuing him. Lucky dog.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey @Nigel, thanks for the advice i'll look'em up they'll may be useful :)
Hey @Crowned nigel, no he's not neutered but he hade never mated, and i don't know how to train and exercice him i'm a first time owner so any advice is precious :) Regarding @Magwart's comment, he's very dirty so if i unleash in the house it'll become a real mess you see, but i take him out whenever i can :/
PS : i'm from tunisia :)

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Can you perhaps give him a bath outside, and then bring him inside? That's what many of us here do. After the bath, his fur will be loosened, and when he's dry, you can brush him out and he'll look (and smell) fantastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey @Magwart, you didn't really understand the meaning of dirty, he poops and pees anywhere and that's why i created the other thread, so if i release him in the house it'll become a dump. Plus, i bath him and clean his place so frequently although it's really exhausting for me and he looks and smells good ( well he smells like a dog but that's what's it's supposed to be right ) ;) Back to the real question, what should i feed him exactly and how frequently during the day ?
PS: if anyone of you can help me in the other thread i'll be so thankful :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
So you don't release a dog like this in the house. You walk him around outside until he has gone to the bathroom then take him inside on lead. You watch him constantly if he starts to lift his leg or squat you go "no outside" and take him outside right away. When he goes to the bathroom outside you reward him.

Dogs are naturally clean if given the chance.

Like the others he NEEDS more exercise and should not live on a chain.

What dog foods are available to you? Make a list and we can recommend what we think is the best but he still needs exercise to build muscle. Walking up and down hills is good. Swimming is good.

Housebreaking a puppy is a lot of work but is not hard. Housebreaking an older dog who has learned to sit in his own waste is very hard. Dogs are naturally clean and don't like sitting in their waste.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey @NancyJ , so that's what i'm planning to do but the problem how should i behave if he pooped inside, there should be something i can do to "punish him" but how ?
for the exercise swiming is kinda impossible, he's enough active and i can't risk having him in a car. And for the food, i dunno : our leftovers, eggs, vegetables, the canned food, chicken carcass, chicken legs and beaks, tripe (not sure), pastas and rice ofc ... Plus i want to train him to be more obedient and submissive ...

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Right now he does not know it is wrong. If he goes before you take him inside and you WATCH him constantly and keep him onlead while he is inside you drag him out the instant he starts to squat or lift his leg. ........

Many of us have raised them from being an 8 week old puppy without a single accident in the house by using this approach.

If he somehow still manages to go you take him outside and, without him watching clean it up and disinfect it with either an enzyme based dog mess cleaner or, if you do not have that, soap and then vinegar to kill the odor. But you don't punish the dog because he does not know it is wrong to do this at this point in time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thank you for the advice i never thinked about this mess cleaner thing but i'll try it asap, And what about the diet ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts