German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby took our one year old Arexa for a walk about an hour long, it was not hot out at 4:00 am. When they got back her tongue was extremely red, not as light pink as it usually is. Her ears were also slightly red. She didn't have any new food.... And plays and acts otherwise normal. I just let her out to do her business outside, she comes back her toungue is super res again. I just gave her a bowl of ice cubes and water so she is drinking/playing I think it might be overheating? She NEVER had this before. Does it mean she will be heat sensitive now? Did this happen to any of your dogs? What else can it be? Her gums look pink/little reddish. Nose is warm but wet otherwise she acts fine..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I believe this is a sign of dehydration.
Sounds like may also be overheating. To be on the safe side I would want my vet to know. I always over think things sometimes but I would want to make sure this is not a heart issue as well.

Last week I was messing around outside & Rusty was playing with his egg toy in the yard. It was 90 + outside. When we came back in he was really panting. I put him in the bath tub in cool water and had him down for several minutes. It scared me & it was a reminder to be careful. We hike alot & he's use to being in the heat at a steady pace but not running full speed around the yard chasing a toy in this heat.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were just at the vet about 2 weeks ago, she was perfect, we even did heartworm test just because. I honestly don't want to go to the vet because each time I went it turned out to be nothing... They look at me like I'm crazy and I end up paying at least $200... Did your dogs tounge become normal after overheating? Obviously if she is not fine within couple of hours ill take her to the vet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I don't remember his tongue color don't think it was an abnormal color like your describing I would have noticed. Once he was laying in the cool water for several minutes & in the AC he was fine.

Just be mindful of the heat a d of course make sure there is plenty of fresh cold water, which I'm sure you do!

Perhaps I'm off with my opinion & it's something else entirely with the red tongue.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i trust your dog is going to be fine. hose her down and bring her
in the house and turn down the ac.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I thought about you the other day when I was at the vets office:) I had Rusty there because he was throwing up after crunching on a baby frog in our yard (which was a harmless but it still scared me). Anyways, they squeezed me in and the waiting room was packed with dogs and cats in crates. The wait was longer than normal and I could tell Rusty was anxious, he was ready to go. He was panting, drooling a little, ears were red AND his tongue! When we got home and he got some water he chilled out and was back to normal.

So, I think in most cases it's overheating and perhaps from stress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts