German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I used to belong to this site, a long, long time ago. It was very helpful when my dog was just a puppy. She is now 10.

We deal with a foot issue every summer right around this time. We live in Colorado. She's been to the vet multiple times over the issue.

We try to get her on benadryl every season to hopefully prevent, but it seems non-preventable.

I have not fed raw, but I do feed her a 100% protein diet of very high end food, salmon. We have switched foods several time throughout the years, but this hasn't helped. We have an AWESOME vet, btw. He is fairly certain it's an environmental allergy because of the time of year, etc.

She starts itching her feet (between the toes) and they get red. Sometimes this develops into a yeast infection. There's no infection now, but the skin is raw on the right paw, and tender when she walks on rocks. Other than having her wear a cone for 2 months out of each summer, does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My oldest dog gets yeast paws. I just inspected his feet and three have a small amount of yeast on them. Since he's in and out of a pool all day I give him a paws bath at night. Just warm water and epson salt and I cone him after. It seems to be keeping the yeast at bay at least. Last summer and the summer before it got terribly bad. That was before I found out about the paws bath. When it does get bad, he gets the paws bath and some neosporin ointment on them and a cone. For those out breaks we were doing the paws bath twice a day.

**don't go overboard on the epson salts though. It stings their feet if it's to strong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this advice. I'm going to try this tactic for the next couples days! BTW, how can you tell by looking if there's yeast on the paws? I haven't been able to figure it out until she starts chewing on them.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I spread the roes apart and look and then I inspect the paws by moving the hair out of the way. When the yeast first starts it look moist and shiny. Almost like neosporin has been put there. When the yeast strtas to die it turns black.

I have a headlamp with a magnifying piece on it. This is one of my smaller dogs. He only weighs 30 pounds. My husband will help hold him or I just hold him with my legs. He's kind of used to being examined now and he's really good about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts