German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lightning went to the vet around a month ago with irritated red eyes. He was diagnosed with conjunctivitis, and given eyedrops for a week. It went away and now it is back again. Does anyone have another idea as to what is going on, or have experience they can share about this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,228 Posts
If you have left over drops, simply finish them off then go in for a recheck... it’s not uncommon to have to extend treatment. It’s spring, it’s likely pollen or some other irritant in the environment.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
What part of the eyes are red? What do the third eyelids look like? Does the third eyelid look smooth or bumpy? Do the lower part of the eyes seem droopy at all?
Could be simple allergies. Could also be plasmoma (a form of pannus).

We thought our girl just had allergies. Antihistamines helped some with the redness but she always seemed to have recurrent red goopy eyes. Vet prescribed an anitbiotic/steroid drops that cleared it up but it returned soon after the drops stopped. We were referred to an Veterinary Ophthalmologist. She was diagnosed with plasmoma and early indicators for pannus. It requires lifelong immune suppressing eye drops but is completely manageable.

:: OPHTHALMOLOGY: PLASMOMA

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you mind sharing a picture with us?

Did it start in one eye or both simultaneously?

When you wipe away the discharge, does it come back soon after?

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
I agree that it could be pannus. I would definitely have the dog checked for that and soon. As mentioned it can be easily handled with eye drops for the life of the dog. If not treated the dog will go blind if it is pannus. I am training a new handler and K9 right now in my patrol school. The dog is about 4 years old and has Pannus. Super dog and works really well. He just needs daily eye drops.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although all eliciting red-looking eyes, plasmoma and pannus manifest themselves much differently than the true "red eye" conjunctivitis (different types include: viral, bacterial, allergic, toxic, thermal).

Colored discharge points toward an infection, especially if it returns quickly after wiping away.

I second the suggestion to try the remaining eye drops as you schedule and wait for a dr visit. Flushing the eyes with sterile saline if available will help in between drops.

A picture would really aid in the tentative dx.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wipe it away and it comes back fairly quickly. Nearly finished with the eye drops. It is only in the one eye. The sclera appears pink in color.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it were allergies, I would expect both eyes to be affected, too. Most likely, it's the conjunctiva (clear layer containing blood vessels, on top of the white sclera) that's inflammed. Episcleritis and scleritis are other differentials, but unlikely. Only your vet can make an accurate dx.

Make an appointment. Viral should resolve by a week or two. Is your drop an antibiotic? They would address the infection if bacterial also in about a week. In the meantime, finish off the drops as directed by vet previously, clean any bedding your dog's face may come in contact with.

Disclaimer: not a vet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts