German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :(

I got my puppy a little over a week ago and yesterday morning when I woke up and let him out of his crate his entire face was swollen including his eyes.

I figured it was a bee sting or something and didn't really think anything of it till today when he started shaking his head around like his ears were bothering him. I took a look inside and they are really red inside and appears to be bites or pimples in both my dogs ears with crusty blood as well. He's acting different and won't go to the bathroom properly.

He keeps flicking his ears and whining and kicking his back legs out like a horse sometimes, then bites at his paws.

I noticed a fire ant nest in my backyard in a spot where I think he's gone potty. Could he have got a bunch of fire ants in his ears perhaps and they just bit him crazy to the point of blood? Or is this something beyond that.

I can't afford any vet trips, I have a 6 week 'Health Gaurentee' from the breeder but I'm not exactly sure what that covers. :confused:

I've given him benadryl today but he puked shortly after. I feel so bad, he's not the same puppy at all.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Borrow money. Make a payment plan with the vet. Try to find low cost treatment somewhere - clinic? Humane Society?

Your pup needs to be seen by a vet now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Just found out that I have 80% coverage for up to 750 dollars with this 6 week guarantee. What a relief...

I have an appointment with the vet in an hour and a half, I'll be sure to report back to see what the problem is with my little one.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Take the dog back to the breeder. You cannot afford the dog. Your dog WILL require medical care beyond six weeks. You allowed your puppy to have the following symptoms without seeking veterinary assistance: swollen face, swollen eyes, red swollen and bloody ears, shaking of the head, kicking out on the back end, whining, biting paws, vomiting, acting differently, and difficulty in eliminating.

Please return your puppy to the breeder. You cannot afford the dog, and you are not ready to be responsible for another living creature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm absolutely not returning my dog.

The only thing I noticed was puffy eyes and lips and the scratching of the feet yesterday, To me originally was a bee sting and nothing else. His ears weren't red and they weren't really bothering him yesterday, It was just his back paw. I did research on bee stings on dogs and not a single person suggested going to the vet over such a case unless breathing was affected. I now know for next time It's easier to just get him checked out than try to solve it yourself.

Today I noticed the ears and the shaking of the face. He doesn't have difficulties eliminating, he just really really did not want to because he got bit! When he finally got around to doing his business it was completely normal aside from a longer than average pee because he's been holding it for so **** long.

I've taken 2 weeks off of my job to care for this dog hence why I'm rather broke at the moment, Money is an issue only momentarily. I also have a couple of credit cards available if worst come to worse.

On a side note,
I just got back from the vet and he they gave him a shot of something that will take the itching down and hopefully the bumps in the ears subside, If not they want me to call tomorrow if he's still bothered.

He is finally going to the bathroom again, that's a sigh of relief and he's yet stopped itching his paws and face (this was before the vet). Recommend I give him 10 mg of benadryl (already have been).

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
When you register your dog with the AKC, they will offer you health insurance for your dog. You might want to consider it.

There are many things I will let go by with a wait and see attitude with dogs, that I won't let go by with puppies. A change in behavior can turn out fatal with a puppy if ignored, as some of those illnesses that puppies can get, need to be caught immediately. Puppies and senior dogs are the most likely to succumb to fatal diseases.

Bee stings can be fatal to dogs. Fatal. My friend sold a pup to someone who got stung by a bee, swelled up, lost consciousness and died. Not all dogs are allergic to bee stings. Not all locations to be stung are as dangerous. But the point is that when you have a baby-puppy, you may need to move **** and high water to get them the care they need.

I am glad the monetary issue is only temporary and that you have a plan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Canada so hopefully CKC has something similar.
I'm going to look into it and see how the prices work out, I think that's a
good idea.

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea it could be such a serious issue. The clinic is just up my road so it's nice and close if anything goes wrong in the future.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
There are fire ants in Canada? I thought they thrived in places like Florida, tropical areas close to the equator. At least I hoped so because I never heard of them here in Ohio, and I hope they never come this way.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Oh Selzer there are fire ants in Canada . As temperature warms up we have several plant, mammal and insects moving across the border . We have opossum on our road . We have fire ants. Extremely aggressive . Fast . Pick up the garbage to take to road and bing - they are in the clothing stinging were ants should not be !! leaving red itchy welts. Ran in to house jumped into shower . Cloths into a plastic bag threw out the window , later collected and pre-washed then regular wash. Have to put down many pounds of diatomaceous earth , baking soda . They have got to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are fire ants in Canada? I thought they thrived in places like Florida, tropical areas close to the equator. At least I hoped so because I never heard of them here in Ohio, and I hope they never come this way.

Yes here in BC we have a problem with fire ants, they are completely taking over my yard outside. I'm not letting my boy lay on the grass outside anymore.

They don't have mounds, they rather live in the grass and hide like little bastards ready to attack!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts