German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first we thought our 9 month old GSD had bloat. Went straight to the vets and he determined it was not bloat but after blood samples and many pills it turned out he had a liver infection. He is now a lot, lot better but will not eat any food still. He has lost a lot of body weight and is seeming his normal self apart from this problem. We have tried using different bowls, putting food in his 'kong' toys, moistening the food, trying to feed rice with chicken/fish, different dry and wet dog foods and are now running out of ideas!
Phoned my vet and was told just to 'try and tempt him to eat' - what does he think I've been doing the last few weeks?!
He is still drinking plenty of water just not touching his food.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hattie & Chuck ( 9 month old silver sable GSD!)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Does he still have infection perhaps? Is he totally cleared? Is he still on antibiotics? It does not seem like his stomach feels well?

I would try probiotics midday - if you just want to buy some online Vetriscience makes a little bone shaped one that is like a treat. You can also buy something like acidophillus in a bottle...

When BDBH's Cooper had acute liver disease he was put on a lower protein food.

You can look for (I think) Dr. Dodd's liver cleansing diet. With that, you need to be careful if you use fish because of where it comes from, or if the dog is one who does not tolerate chicken.

Would a stomach coating med like carafate help? Pepcid?

There is an appetite inducing med called mirtazipine that I have had to use before on a dog but would want to know that they were healthy and just having trouble wanting to eat before using it.

Dehydration also leads to lack of appetite.

Good luck to Chuck - glad the liver is getting better but would be wanting to check to make sure nothing else is going on/it's still not healed.

Merrick canned food has always been a good go to. Let us know!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Years ago Bruiser almost died from an unknown illness ... his last symptom was refusal to eat. The vet tried everything, he wouldn't touch anything that resembled food. My sister had me try this:
Any of these Beechnut Baby Food - STAGE 1 - Beef & Beef Broth, Chicken & Chicken Broth, or Turkey & Turkey Broth (I didn't use Ham & Ham Broth)
Sodium free/low sodium Chicken borth
Mix a little chicken broth with one of the Stage 1 meats until it's kind of like the consistency of Elmer's Glue or Cream of Wheat (i.e. not soupy).
Take a little of this mixture on the tip of your finger and rub it on your dog's gums ... IT'S VERY MESSY ... allow the dog time to lick the mixture off his gums. It takes a while, but repeat until the mixture is gone or he gets tired.
This stimulated Bruiser's appetite enough that he started eating within 12 hours after getting a couple feedings of this mixture and he got to come home 24 hours later.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
You can try fresh "green" tripe, not the grocery bleached stuff

If you cannot find that, "Trippet" brand (by petkind), may work - most dogs go nuts for (stinks)

A product called Seacure is indicated for fading/waisting illness

here is a blurb from whole dog journal article

“I started taking Seacure seriously,” says Reinhardt, “when I gave it to some cats who were dying. They literally responded within 15 minutes. Their eyes went from dull to sparkling in that short a time. Since then, I’ve seen the same response again and again, including seriously ill and unresponsive dogs who sat up, began grooming themselves, wagged their tails, interacted with their owners, and took an interest in their surroundings, all within 15 minutes. I’m not saying that they all get well, but when any pet in dire straits responds dramatically, it’s wonderful.”
In most cases, she says, underweight dogs and dogs with allergy symptoms begin to improve within a few days, and within a month or two, they have gained weight, their coats have improved, bald spots have disappeared, and they no longer chew on their paws. “The food that goes in stays in,” she says. “It doesn’t come shooting out the other end as bright yellow diarrhea. Seacure provides the deep nourishment that helps with conditions across the board.”

Canine Allergies and Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

Rockwell Nutrition (where the write up below is from) has this on backorder in the 100g tub, but has in the 500g.

Can order from seacure
Seacure for Pets

Seacure for Pets speeds the healing of wounds throughout the body, repairs digestive organs, alleviates nausea and vomiting, stops diarrhea, supports the liver during detoxification, reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and possibly helps prevent or reverse cancer, prevents toxemia in pregnancy, rescues newborns from Fading Puppy Syndrome, helps elderly dogs maintain their strength and stamina, helps all dogs recover from chronic and acute illness, stimulates hair growth, reduces urinary tract infection, reduces or eliminates allergic reactions, prevents hot spots improves mobility, reduces pain, and even enhances the effectiveness of homeopathy and herbal therapies.
That miracle food exists, and dogs love its taste. They should. It's an odoriferous powder made from fermented fish.
Invented to Combat Hunger
Forty years ago, scientists at the University of Uruguay, who were search under the direction of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences for a way to feed starving children, perfected a fermentation technology that predigested fish, creating a highly absorbable protein supplement. Fresh, deep-sea whitefish fillets were broken down by marine microorganisms, then dried to create a fine powder.
During the 1970s and 1980s, physicians in Uruguay and adjacent countries used the formula to save the lives of thousands of premature, underweight, or malnourished infants. In clinical studies, these infants showed significant improvement in weight and immunity factors (globulin and gamma globulin levels) within 30 to 60 days. No premature infants receiving the fish formula developed edema. When other infants developed edema, use of the formula caused its disappearance within 48 to 72 hours.
Uruguayan researchers tested a combination of two-thirds mother's milk and one-third fermented fish powder for premature infants and found that the fish powder improved assimilation and weight gain. The researchers reported a "most remarkable" disappearance of dysergia (lack of motor control due to defective nerve transmission) in cases of dystropy. When given to pregnant women, the supplement was also found to be very effective in promoting normal birth weights (preventing low birth weights).
The same Seacure hydrolyzed white fish recommended by your physician now also recommended by your vet. Specially packaged and labeled for use with pets. Provided as a powder with dosing scoop for convenience. Dogs and cats enjoy the white fish flavor, and the high-quality protein supports digestion and healthy skin & coat.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I just started Kiya on the liver cleansing diet, she absolutely loves it. Maybe you should give that a try.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Milk thistle too - helps to heal the liver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts