German Shepherds Forum banner

Recommended lines for family dog?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cliffson1 
#1 ·
I'm still trying to figure all this out about the different lines so correct me if I'm wrong...
I heard working lines can be fine as pets, but because there are so many working lines (West/East Germany and Czech I believe?) Is there one that has a particular reputation for being a better house pet than another?

I know show lines (may) be recommended since they don't have strong drives like working lines (?) But from what I've heard show lines are more likely to have angulated hips which I personally cant stand.

I've been trying to find websites that clearly illustrate the differences between all of these lines but cant find one that exceeds the basics. I'm more interested in lines which aren't bred for the angulated hips and can be happy as a family pet. Would I be better off with a mix of lines?

Sorry this is all confusing but I'm having a hard time figuring all of this out thanks for the help!

#2 · (Edited)
I think that you can get a pet out of most showlines. Most working lines are bred for work. Having said that, imho a well bred WL can make good family/companion dogs. You must provide them with multiple outlets though. The ones that dont have that family/companion possibility probably wouldn't be available to you.

I started to figure out what was what by finding known reps of the lines and studied the pedigrees. I went to diffrent websites, working clubs, trials ect. Once names start getting familiar you will really begin to understand. Right now Im just past being able to id dogs lines based on pedigrees. I am personally at the point where im getting to understand the ways they work and behave diffrently. Also Im am getting to understand what individual dogs produced.

Just be patient there is alot of info to take in. Ive been with a GSD by my side every year of my adult life and then some. I am just now getting it and Ive been studying hardcore for about 2 years now. Im 26 in Oct.

#3 ·
Rather than focusing on lines, you may want to consider focusing on identifying breeders that produce what you are looking for in a GSD. Educate yourself about GSDs so that you have a good idea what you are looking for, you know what GSDs are supposed to be, you realistically know what to expect, and you can have an informed discussion with breeders. Then, be frank and forthright with the breeder(s) with whom you speak. There is so much variation in the "lines" and even variations within litters in terms of drive, etc. that generalizations about lines may not be useful in identifying a good family companion. Find a good breeder who you trust and put your trust in that breeder.

Personally, I have a family with two young kids and have two working line dogs: one east german lines, one that would be characterized as west german working lines. Both can be very "go, go" dogs but both are great family companions who are easy to live with and good with the kids. I never really thought about them needing "jobs" or "outlets." They simply live as part of the family and are included in near everything we do. Exercise, training, manners, etc. is all part of daily family life.

#4 ·
I also have a 20 month old daughter and my dogs are better then great. All of our dogs are family/companion dogs. I also work my dogs daily. I think personally to keep a working line dog and not attempt to let it be everything it can be (giving a job/outlet) is a waste. Just my opinion.

Where are you located maybe someone can recommend something.

#5 ·
If this is a response to my post, my point was missed. My point is that working line dogs are perfectly capable of living in a family setting and one need not spend three nights a week and all day Saturday at a club for the dog to be fulfilled. Likewise, one need not spend 6 hours a day exercising their working line dog for it to be happy and fulfilled. I am not suggesting that they need no training or exercise or that one should not involve them in activities. Nor was I suggesting that my dogs simply sit around the house all day. Far from it. I am simply addressing the oft repeated myth that working line dogs cannot live in a family setting without turning your life completely upside down.

I do not know what you do with your dogs or what you consider “work.” I guess if I considered training, exercising, and giving my dogs what they need to be happy "work," I would tell you I work my dogs everyday. I do not, however, consider that work. I simply consider that daily life. Nor would I consider going to a club or to classes "work" or a "job." Personally, I think a GSD’s role as a family companion and protector is it’s most important “job” and good GSD who has all the traits a GSD should have (drive, courage, aggression, intelligence, biddability, etc.) who lives happily and harmoniously in a family setting can never be a waste. Just my opinion.

Off to goof off with the dogs . . . . I’ll be sure to do some focused heeling, in motion exercises, recalls, etc. and may even make them use their noses. I will then call this “work” and maybe I will feel better about not “wasting” my dogs. :)

#7 ·
Go with a breeder who is known for providing good sound dogs....don't do it by lines. There are good breeders in all lines, thus good dogs, and a good dog is a good family dog. Inquire of some top breeders and talk to them...., there are people around with fantastic records on helping people get great dogs....talk to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.