German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you have read my posts... one of my threads has over 3,000 views... Well, anyway, I am trying to find the right breed for me. I have wanted a GSD for a long, long time, but I think my eyes have opened, and I may not be ready for one. I really want to find the right breed for me. I am going to give some general information on me, and my lifestyle, and my preferences.
I am 13, go to school, very athletic and active, have plenty of time(even during school), it would be my first time with "MY" own dog. I would like a dog that is medium sized, has medium to long hair (from a GSD to golden), a athletic dog(can do agility competitions and training), very loyal (would follow me), protective(not a guard dog, but will bark if something is wrong), very trainable, and very confident, but loving. That may be a lot to fit into one dog breed, but I would appreciate the help. And, I really just want some dog breeds, I don't want this to be another thread that causes trouble, and drama. Thanks :)

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Perhaps a rescued Golden Retriever? Or Golden mix? While they are not supposed to be protective per se, most will bark if something is wrong. My first dog was a rescued Golden when I was a teenager and she was a great dog. She was very athletic and loyal, she was active when I wanted to do something active but also could relax and "hang out" with me if I wanted to do that. She taught me a lot. We dabbled in many dog sports and she did pretty well at them all. We did lots of agility, obedience, animal-assisted therapy, a little bit of rally, a flyball class, lure coursing, some freestyle, skatejoring, carting, weight pull training, tried dock diving, even Earthdog (above ground version). My Golden did "protect" in that she would bark if someone came on our property or came to the door and she would not let people in the house uninvited; and she also did "protect" me from suspicious people several times in her life (by standing in front of me solidly and barking until they left) even though she was a very friendly dog (a therapy dog) and loved people.

Here are some rescue groups I think are somewhat in your area:

Welcome to Southern California Golden Retriever Rescue Southern California Golden Retriever Rescue
Retrievers and Friends of Southern California
Homeward Bound | Golden Retriever Rescue & Sanctuary in Elverta, CA
OCC: All Retriever Rescue

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, not quite what I had in mind. But definitely an option. Just not a fan of pure white dogs, and they are just very fluffy. Idk, maybe. Thanks a lot for looking! :) Appreciate it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'd suggest staying away from spitz breeds. They tend to be loyal but at the same time wanting to do their own thing and if they get bored with what you're doing with them, that's it. They're off. Some can make it work really well but not a class I'd suggest, especially since spitz breeds tend to shed in clumps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well, not quite what I had in mind. But definitely an option. Just not a fan of pure white dogs, and they are just very fluffy. Idk, maybe. Thanks a lot for looking! :) Appreciate it!
Have you tried looking at labs?
I used to have a chocolate lab as a family dog. Crazy fun personality, very hyper, and active. They are also stunning dogs. But labs tend to get fat easily, so if you got one be carful on feeding it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd suggest staying away from spitz breeds. They tend to be loyal but at the same time wanting to do their own thing and if they get bored with what you're doing with them, that's it. They're off. Some can make it work really well but not a class I'd suggest, especially since spitz breeds tend to shed in clumps.
Do you have any dog breeds you may think are good for me?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Do you have any dog breeds you may think are good for me?

look into retriever breeds. Brittany Spaniels are good dogs. Smart, easily trained, fun, medium sized, solid in agility. can be trained for tracking is done right. Watch out for birds as they are a bird dog. Wirehaired Griffons are another, just look into grooming needs for them. Standard poodles. Smooth collies.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Beagles. I've ALWAYS seen them in the movies as a boys best friend, other than labs :D
Actually I know nothing about them haha.
What about Boston terriers? I had one of those, she lived to be twelve. Very loyal to my father and she got really big for a Boston. Sadly she was blind and deaf In the end. ImageUploadedByPG Free1377321349.285870.jpg
She was active, but would tire out easily. Could go for LONG hikes. She stayed active until she was about 8. Then she became a lazy lap dog :p

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love the look of a GSD, or golden retriever, or Aussie. Like long haired dogs, and stuff of that nature. Not a fan of terriers, or poodles or anything like that. :) I am high maintenance... haha just kidding!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Beagles. I've ALWAYS seen them in the movies as a boys best friend, other than labs :D
Actually I know nothing about them haha.
What about Boston terriers? I had one of those, she lived to be twelve. Very loyal to my father and she got really big for a Boston. Sadly she was blind and deaf In the end. View attachment 104017
She was active, but would tire out easily. Could go for LONG hikes. She stayed active until she was about 8. Then she became a lazy lap dog :p

if he wants to do agility, he doesn't want to get a brachycephalic breed. too hot and the dog cant breath right. Too cold and the dog cant breath right.

I wouldn't recommend heelers if we're going against border collies and aussies :p They can be handfuls.

that is true. My bad.

I would love the look of a GSD, or golden retriever, or Aussie. Like long haired dogs, and stuff of that nature. Not a fan of terriers, or poodles or anything like that. :) I am high maintenance... haha just kidding!

not all terriers are bad. Poodles are extremely intelligent and great agility dogs though they do require regular grooming by a professional. Your mom isn't interested in a long haired dog so we're pointing out breeds with low grooming needs. Brittany spaniels are awesome and would be a good dog for a first time dog for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Maybe check out Shiba Inus? They're funny little dogs for sure, and some are black/tan

but they don't want to work for you. They're like huskies and akitas. They have that "what can YOU do for ME" mentality. They don't train and retain easily and never do what you ask of them. Have worked with too many of them.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My mom isn't a fan of lots of shedding but is fine with a GSD and Aussie. So long haired dogs are fine, I actually prefer them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts