German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anticipating that eventually we will get back to normal, and it may be in warmer time of the year . . .

I'm looking for recommendations on kennel fans (or for that matter, any to avoid).

Dogs would be going to Schutzhund training sessions. At the last ones, which were also the first ones we'd attended, it was cool enough that keeping the dogs comfortable and safe was not a problem. Where we live, summer days in the 80s are frequent, and 90s not unheard of, though I'd probably not take them to training if it was that hot.

I've seen a Ruff Tough fan advertised on the internet that hooks into the DC 12 volt power outlet on a vehicle. Anyone use that one?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here's one of the popular sealed motor fans suitable for horse stalls and it comes highly recommended on my horse forum. They make this fan in several other sizes and non-circulating types.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
I use an Endless Breeze fan that plugs into car outlets. Never had an issue with running the battery down. Most people use Ryobi fans and snag them when Home Depot has their sale. Ruff Tough is a great product. But it's expensive.

I've trained in several 90 deg. days. If it's that hot and they've just worked, I run the car with the AC on. Trials don't get canceled because it gets hot and we've trialed in those temps. You need to look at the car covers as well to keep the sun out. I use an emergency blanket on the windshield to block ALL sun and then a screen blanket over the back. I don't cover the whole car because I don't think enough air goes thru so I like to keep the windows partially uncovered.

Over the windshield

this over the back part of the car (I have two of these so I can cover more if I choose or you can buy the 14x20 to cover the whole car.)

Fan

I also have a ruff tuff kennel with front and back doors. That fan creates a great wind tunnel thru that crate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks; that gives me some options. Yeah, I saw the Ruff Tough was a little pricey. We have a Home Depot close by, and I've had OK luck with other Ryobi stuff.

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
This is what most flyball people use. They're around $50 retail, but it's the rechargeable batteries that get pricey. Definitely wait for a Home Depot sale - they bundle the fan, two batteries and a charger for a significantly reduced price.

Also, those aluminet shade cloth panels that Jax linked to. For tournaments we set up several ez ups, crate the dogs together underneath, and hang the panels as walls to block the sun. At practice we usually crate out of our cars and drape them over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts