German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a 9-month-old male gsd and he loves chewing on bones! I'm having trouble finding a bone that will last him more than 3 minutes. I have tried various ones at Walmart that claim to be "long-lasting" but have not found one yet. I am really into rawhide-free and natural ingredients, something he won't have a problem digesting even though he does not have a sensitive tummy. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have a dog like yours LOL! She has yet to meet a bone that lasts very long!

I give her, beef bones from the local supermarket. They're sawn leg segment I believe, and she loves them!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Like Tim, I give RMBs (Raw Meaty Bones). I'll go to the supermarket and look for them or order from my local raw dog food supply company. I ordered a 10lb of beef knee joints last week sawed into smaller pieces. Got about 12 decent sized cuts for about $40 (shipping included) - it arrived the following day in a cooler still frozen. I think I will order again, too. They last a couple days. I'll take them up and refreeze them to use again later if they aren't finished with them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Pizzles seem to take my girl a little longer than other things (maybe 5 minutes, depending on the size). I also found these lamb stick things (rawhide free) from Murdochs that actually take her like 20 minutes to eat, which is awesome. (They're these things: Etta Says! Deluxe Lamb Chew).

Unfortunately the last few I picked up at Murdochs were a little too stale/hard and she wouldn't eat them. She likes her treats to have a little bit of softness to them, turns out. I haven't ever tried to feed her raw meaty bones yet but would like to. I now just rely on stuffing a Kong and freezing it if I want to keep her occupied for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Raw meaty bones are the only thing that lasts, sometimes they'll pick them up for weeks.
Some swear by antlers but my dogs are only occasionally interested in them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts