German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan and I was hoping to get some suggestions from some of you as to whom your favorite reparable breeders are. I have owned a German Shepherd in the past, but it was an adult that I adopted from a shelter. It has been some time now and I'm ready to find another special puppy to love. This is my first time looking for a pup, so any advice as far as what to look for, and how to begin my search for a breeder is appreciated! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
what are you looking for? A working dog, family dog, etc. What do you plan on doing with your dog?

·
Registered
754 Posts
You might want to give readers some info on what you want in a German Shepherd. What kind of lines do you want? What kind of sport/work/activity will you be doing? Or how active are you and how much exercise would you want to give your puppy/dog? This information will help members point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New to this :)

haha sorry I'm really new to this, but I'm simply looking for a pet. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific line, (I'm not that knowledgable yet), I just want a healthy puppy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm currently a student and I'm looking for a companion. I do get busy, but the nice thing about being a student is I can make my schedule my own, and have thought about this for about a year now whether or not I could handle the responsibility of a puppy. I would prefer a more relaxed line, not a working line because I would be afraid of the dog becoming bored more easily, but I understand the shepherd breed can be high drive, and high energy.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I'd spend a bit more time then looking at different lines so you know exactly what you'll be getting. Better to spend that time now than wish you'd done it later. Here is a good link on the description of type(lines): (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels ) many other articles in that site as well. What side of the state are you located?

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I'm on the same side....there are a couple breeders I'd steer clear of.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
often students have different homes yearly and some don't allow big dogs, please wait til you are done your studies, have a job and permanent home, until then call local shelters, they usually love fosters, dog walkers, and trainers. Lots of breeders would also welcome someone looking to puppy play, assist in training and perhaps eventually socializing and walking. There are also clubs, training facilities, agility places, and hanging out and learning how to train and picking up pointers and offering help, this can fill the need for the dog while showing some that you like or don't there by giving you some more knowledge. Waiting is best!!!

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Hey we got one of our boys from a breeder in MI and I think she is planning a litter soon. Check out Zu Treuen Händen Working German Shepherd Dogs

We have been really happy with our boy (Ezio of the E litter) I would highly recommend her. Our boy is from working lines but not a “crazy” bouncing off the walls dog. He does need activity and exercise (as do most dogs) but he also has a good “off-switch” in the house and can relax and pretend he is a couch potato sometimes.

The breeder is also a member on this board (lhczth) and spends a lot of time not only helping out her puppy buyers but the countless strangers who post on this board every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts