German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lost my GSD of 11.5 years due to cancer. I am beating myself up about not recognizing the symptoms earlier but had thought maybe he was just slowing down due to age. I had never had an older dog so did not know exactly what to expect. I also got a misdiagnosis when I first took him in some months ago.

Anyways, my mind is not right. I keep wanting to take him out for a walk and then realize he isn't here. I don't want to clean up the yard or my house as these are the final remembrances of him. My friend said that maybe getting another dog would be a good way to help me deal with his death. I am inclined to think too soon, but realize that other dogs need good homes as well.

Your thoughts about what I should do and any reputable GSD breeders in Ohio would be very appreciated.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Filling those voids with another dog definitely helps. Your thoughts about losing your dog will not change but those hellish gaps in your day will become occupied.

Everything takes it's own time to heal. I remember first teaching my puppy to walk the pain and loss would hit me like a ton of bricks initially. But it rollercoaster of emotions leveled fairly quickly as I was way busy with the new puppy. Those months of walking around my house with no dog and nothing to do but focus on the pain and misery were a living heck and having that empty time did nothing to heal or look to the future.

There is a a good natural remedy that aids and in time heals. It's called puppy..:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your gut says "too soon" then listen to that.

However, volunteering to foster a dog for a few weeks could be a very good idea. Then start the process of looking for a breeder / puppy once your in a better place.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, Puffswani. I think another puppy may indeed help fill the void, and it in no way diminishes your love for your former dog. Only you will know when the time is right. I like what Chris1N1A said about fostering.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so sorry for your loss, Puffswani. I think another puppy may indeed help fill the void, and it in no way diminishes your love for your former dog. Only you will know when the time is right. I like what Chris1N1A said about fostering.
Thank you. After his death, I immediately obsessed about finding another Golden GSD puppy (no such luck). But now I realize that may be irrational on my part anyway. Today, I am going through the second stage of grief: Anger. I am trying to contain it but something that really helped was sleeping for about 12 hours straight.

He had less than 5 accidents in the house since he had been a pup, and even on his last two days he didn't want to go inside and waited for me to carry him outside. I dunno. I have another dog but he cares for me not compared to my deceased GSD. I am looking for that same bond where I could communicate like an old-couple who can just have entire conversations non-verbally.

**** that dog loved me.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I have another dog but he cares for me not compared to my deceased GSD. I am looking for that same bond where I could communicate like an old-couple who can just have entire conversations non-verbally.

**** that dog loved me.
I understand all too well. I lost Sage last summer. I have two other GSDs. Nice dogs, and I love them, and they love me, but they aren't Sage. I miss the amazing connection that I had with her. As weird as it sounds, I've been obsessing lately over getting a smooth collie puppy. Something is pushing me that direction, and I just want to go for it.

I had a Doberman named Tessa, before I had the GSDs. She was my heart dog. A goofy red girl that was one of a kind. When she died at the age of 14, I didn't think I would ever have that kind of connection with a dog again. But I did. :)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
When my almost 15 yr old Clover passed away, I fostered while searching for my next puppy. Fostering helped fill the hole in my heart and I didn't rush my plans to get a pup.
She passed around Thanksgiving and my puppy came home towards the end of April.
I did have other dogs besides the fosters. I would have gone crazy if my home was so quiet without any dogs in my life!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Everyone takes different time to get a new pup. My personal thought is that they help fill the hole in your heart,so why wait..? But others feel they need time to grieve. Neither is wrong- Fostering a dog may be a good solution while you search for the right breeder and the right puppy so that you dont make a decision and buy a poor quality pup just to have one. Sorry for your loss-theres no darker day than saying goodbye to a friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts