German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jafco muzzle doesn't allow sufficient breathing and the air inside the muzzle liquifies when she breaths harder, wire muzzle pulls hair from her snout where the padding meets the nose, and this bumas is a terrible fit. I think the fit problem we tend to experience is due to my girl has very slender snout but has high panting circumference. Looking for muzzle recommendations for muzzles with a slender build.

The muzzle will be used mostly when we jog as a safety precaution for other dogs who chase after us and for small children who she likes to chase and nip. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
How old is she.... she looks young.....

I would work on training because no dog should have to go through that in public....,

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is she.... she looks young.....

I would work on training because no dog should have to go through that in public....,
She is 2 years old and fairly well trained, she walks well on leash and is calm on our walks with passing ppl and dogs as long as the dogs are not too close and not charging at her, she also has a dog walker. I rarely encounter a serious problem but I am not taking risks with off leash dogs and small children when I am jogging and my mind is not focused on the surrounding. And I disagree, muzzle in public can be great and I even know a dog trainer who recommends muzzle train all dogs:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, we contacted Bumas regarding the fit, and they re-adjusted the muzzle for her, and now it fits perfectly:) All is good now! I highly recommend Bumas for their customer service.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Great!

Well, we use a Baskerville muzzle. I had to order twice-first size was too snug. Their nose should not be pressing on the front of the muzzle! I saw that was uncomfortable for my dog, and I realized I forgot to add the recommended "extra wiggle room" of half an inch when I measured his muzzle length. With Baskerville, they say to hold it under warm water and you can reshape it to fit your dog better. Ours was a little too narrow (I guess my dog has a big ole wide nose...)

Greyhounds wear basket muzzles to race, so I think most basket muzzles give enough airflow for daily activities!

(Mine only wears his for handling at vet).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great!

Well, we use a Baskerville muzzle. I had to order twice-first size was too snug. Their nose should not be pressing on the front of the muzzle! I saw that was uncomfortable for my dog, and I realized I forgot to add the recommended "extra wiggle room" of half an inch when I measured his muzzle length. With Baskerville, they say to hold it under warm water and you can reshape it to fit your dog better. Ours was a little too narrow (I guess my dog has a big ole wide nose...)

Greyhounds wear basket muzzles to race, so I think most basket muzzles give enough airflow for daily activities!

(Mine only wears his for handling at vet).
Yeah you are right, the bumas people recommended that my dog should get a nose-free version too so when they adjusted the muzzle to make it more slender, they also made it nose-free!:) I attached a photo of her in her new adjusted muzzle.

I tried Baskerville too and I think it is a great muzzle for occasional use, but for frequent use I notice my dog starts to have bruises on top of her nose where the muzzle sits. But thanks so much for the recommendation, it is interesting to know Baskerville can be reshaped under warm water :nerd:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts