German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For now, I'm wondering if a breakaway cat collar would work? I want to put a bell on Storm. She is literally silent moving through the house, right now I have her dragging a lightweight 5' leash, and I usually catch a glimpse of it and know she's on the move.

(She isn't unsupervised, but she has chosen a towel by her water bowl as her favorite spot, and we're rarely in that room. My 15 yr old sits on the floor and reads in there, but if I had a bell on her, he could be more comfortable on the couch :))

And I guess not 24/7, there would be no need for it while she is crated, but I would like her to wear it any time she isn't in the crate.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I just use a normal flat collar. For the tiny pups still getting used to being around the house and potty training... I leave a nylon leash dragging behind them. However, I cut the handle off so it doesn't get stuck on anything and so they don't loop it around any body parts. This seems to have always worked very well. This gave easy access to leash corrections, pulling them away from things you don't want them to have, control them around the other dogs, and also good for quick grab and goes for potty breaks. However, I never leave them out of my sight.... not even for a second. If you leave a leash connected, definitely make sure to keep your eyes on them since they can get caught up and still hurt themselves. Otherwise, I don't think you need anything too crazy like a break away collar or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Did this with Storm for a few months.... a simple flat collar from Petsmart, and any leash with the loop cut off. (we used leather around here for a while... but it's a little too heavy for the tiny guys... nylon is much lighter) :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts