German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've been reading through the forums, searching them and the net in general for a long coated white german shepherd / swiss shepherd breeder in Georgia, Florida or South Carolina.

I've found many but most are either not expecting a litter until the end of 2014 or do not do any health tests, or raise their dogs indoors / in their homes.

I'm hoping some folks here can give me a suggestion or recommendation. I daily check rescue orgs like petfinder, echo dogs, petango, etc in hopes of finding one in need of rehoming too. I do not have my heart set on a puppy.

I'd really like to get a female and so far all the ones in rescue or shelters seem to be male and / or heart worm positive, or way outside my range of travel.

Thanks so very much for any help you can give!

Stephanie

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Stephanie, please don't let heartworm positive be a deal-breaker if you find a rescued dog that otherwise fits all your criteria. I know it's a scary disease, but it's (usually) very treatable, esp. in the early stages in a younger dog.

I've taken several through treatment, and while the two months of rest isn't fun, most dogs get through the fast-kill treatment just fine. I've also been hearing many reports in Louisiana's of rescues who do the "slow" kill treatment are seeing dogs test clear the worms in just 6 months on one round of Doxycycline (generic antibiotic) for 4 weeks, and keeping them on Advantage Multi instead of ivermectin. That's about $15/month, plus whatever the doxy costs (should be under $50 if you shop around). If you need to talk through whether to pull a HW+ dog, lots of us here who've been through it can help you.

I have two that are fully recovered from HW--they have no lasting ill effects and are energetic, spunky dogs.

Don't give up -- I just placed a foster this weekend in a forever home in Louisiana. The dog was white, female, and HW neg--they're out there. :)

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Arycrest,

I've tried those resources already, which is why I came to this board in search of 'word of mouth advertisers'. Thanks for trying! :)

Hey Magwart ! Thanks for the info. I've just spoken with my vet and they say there shouldn't be any major health issues after the fact. However after loosing two dogs recently I really want to make sure any dog I get is the healthiest it can be.

If you hear of any dogs in rescue orgs down my way please don't hesitate to let me know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks! i've had some log in troubles so could you resend the message? or send it to talihawk at yahoo dot com?

Thanks! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts