German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, and new to owning GS's. I had to rehome my recent dog, Kyzer, pit/catahoula curr mix, because ohio's stupid law, and i'll be moving there within this month. My fiance went out and bought me an american white shepherd, non registered,but purebred, parents were on site, for fifty bucks. well when i brought him home, he was FILTHY, i gave him a bath, and let him explore the house before going to bed, when i saw him try to run for the first time, he looked very wobbly, and i noticed that he has an arche in the middle of his back and that his legs kinda splay outward a little bit when he stands or when he's eating. while he was sleeping, i felt around on his hips, working teh legs back and forth trying to hear a pop, and heard nothing. was wondering maybe if i'm over reacting or not. he also does the bunny hop when running, but also know that's how puppy's first start running around. he's about 7 weeks old, doesn't look very old at all, was born on thanksgiving. anybody have any pointers?:confused:

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sorry I don't have any advice, but welcome.

There are others on here that are better qualified to help you out. :)

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Welcome!
Baby pups have a loose gait. I would get him on a nutritious diet(sounds like it may have been lacking). At 4 or 5 months have a qualified vet do preliminary xrays on him...then you can give supplements just in case and manage him if he does have issues.
The problem with buying a pup from a BYB is you just supported their *program*. I hope your pup is just fine! Did you see either of the parents re/conformation? Maybe you can pay the "breeder" a visit for some investigation on the lineage. Pups do look awkward, so don't be discouraged just yet. The pasterns should look strong no matter what the age and nutrition will help with that.
Look in the nutrition thread, puppy thread for lotsa info on your new baby. What did you name him?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome!
Baby pups have a loose gait. I would get him on a nutritious diet(sounds like it may have been lacking). At 4 or 5 months have a qualified vet do preliminary xrays on him...then you can give supplements just in case and manage him if he does have issues.
The problem with buying a pup from a BYB is you just supported their *program*. I hope your pup is just fine! Did you see either of the parents re/conformation? Maybe you can pay the "breeder" a visit for some investigation on the lineage. Pups do look awkward, so don't be discouraged just yet. The pasterns should look strong no matter what the age and nutrition will help with that.
Look in the nutrition thread, puppy thread for lotsa info on your new baby. What did you name him?
i named him angel, and i know it's not recommended to buy from BYB's, but i think i did this lil guy a favor, they had him staying outside in the kennel,the last puppy with no more siblings left, i understand that these are warm dogs, but 6 weeks is a little too young to be putting in an outdoor kennel in the middle of winter. and they siad they fed him athlete nutrtition, but i don't believe that or else he would of been healthier looking, cleaner teeth, healthier looking stools etc.. i couldn't make it to a kroger or i would of gotten him iams, we are in the middle of plating our new car and it would be risky to drive with 03 plates, i did however grab him a small bag of purina little bites, not the greatest but alteast it's not store brand dog food(kroger brand ughh)!. his parents were both on site, but the mother didn't like me handling him, so i was asked to stand back, mother was an american whtie shepherd and the other looked like a sable, they also had another black shepherd. i have pictures of the mother and father if you want to see them, i made sure to get the guys e-mail, and asked him for pictures of mother and father, and also asked them about hip displaysia in the mother or father's bloodline. i haven't gotten a reply back yet, as i sent that earlier today, i'm going to give them a day or two to respond and try calling them. i think i will give him about 2or3 weeks and if his hind legs don't get stronger i will start making assumptions. i did this with my last dog, freaked out about everything that i seen go wrong with him, half the time it was just me flipping out. but it's better to be safe then sorry and over nurturing rather than having a dead dog because of thoughts in your head telling you not to worry about it, like it couldn't happen to you or your dog.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It sounds like you got a very young, sick, puppy with fairly poor conformation; that does not mean he has bad hips. In fact, it's almost impossible to have bad hips at that age.

Take him to the vet as fast as you can, feed him something good, give him some good care, and see how he developes.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Get that pup on a quality diet...if you can afford Wellness super5mix large breed puppy for a few months it will save you in the long run. Even Taste of the Wild or their 4 health brand from Tractor Supply will be better than purina or any other grocery brand.
Don't expect the breeder to follow thru with any information, they are probably not that versed in pedigree or health info if they are selling pups that cheap. I know you saved him, but that won't stop them from breeding another litter and doing the same thing over again. Are they helping to keep the breed standard, or trying to make a difference? I think NOT! It is illegal in many states to even sell a pup that young. Turn the breeder in to the local AC if you don't think the dogs are taken care of well...I'm glad the pups aren't out in the severe weather, but don't think you did the "breeder" any favors by taking this baby off their hands.
Take him to the vet, and try not to over vaccinate: I follow this protocol for vax: Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol taken from this site:
HEMOPET.HTM
Another site that is great is this: http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html
the site has other great articles to read

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get that pup on a quality diet...if you can afford Wellness super5mix large breed puppy for a few months it will save you in the long run. Even Taste of the Wild or their 4 health brand from Tractor Supply will be better than purina or any other grocery brand.
Don't expect the breeder to follow thru with any information, they are probably not that versed in pedigree or health info if they are selling pups that cheap. I know you saved him, but that won't stop them from breeding another litter and doing the same thing over again. Are they helping to keep the breed standard, or trying to make a difference? I think NOT! It is illegal in many states to even sell a pup that young. Turn the breeder in to the local AC if you don't think the dogs are taken care of well...I'm glad the pups aren't out in the severe weather, but don't think you did the "breeder" any favors by taking this baby off their hands.
Take him to the vet, and try not to over vaccinate: I follow this protocol for vax: Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol taken from this site:
HEMOPET.HTM
Another site that is great is this: Developmental Stages
the site has other great articles to read
yes it's a lose lose situation for the pups, they breed the dogs to make money, and the puppies and parents have to pay for it until a kind heart walks by. i'm glad he went with me though,where i know he's safe and warm, and played with, and loved on,fed, and comfortable enough to sleep and dream, here in indianapolis, people aren't very passionate for animals, yea there are a few but very few in between. there's no telling where the others went to or what situation they are in, but i hope and prey to god they are warm and have full bellies and are as happy as they can possibly be.

And about the dog food, i went through this with kyzer, he had a very mild skin allergy but enough to bother him and was going to switch him to the better quality of diamond dog food, from the iams that i had been feeding him, searched and searched and found nothing closer than 30 miles around here to get that brand, it was good pricing and a **** of alot healthier for him.No wheat, corn, or animal by-product(perfect for a pit).but at the time we were driving around a scooter to get groceries and anything else that was needed, we do NOW have a car, but it's been a slow process on getting it legal to drive out into the open. the guy that sold Angel to me said that he bought his food( which when i asked what kind of PUPPY chow he fed him, he said athlete nurtition but didn't hear him include that the kibble was puppy stage, i'm thinkin he was so malnurished(spelling?)) because he had been feeding the poor thing adult dog food, wich is something they do in puppy mills also to keep the puppy looking like a puppy longer.) from SAMS club, that he got a 35 lbs bag for 26bucks. i wonder if they have good quality puppy chow there? they also have great prices. i will look into that, my mom has a sams card she would let me use if they do. i am going to be moving in about two weeks, which is when i plan on getting his vaccinations, going to buy them from a tractor supply co. being that i wouldn't be risking jail time going to get my dogs vacc's if my mom took me. i don't take him to parks or around any other dogs right now, paranoid about him getting parvo and other illnesses. If anybody has ANY OTHER INFO at all about this breed that i should know, or if you can link me to an informative post on this forum about this breed, you can do so as you please, help will not be shunned.

I am excited as can be to be introduced to this breed!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i also really like the diamondsintheruff site, very helpful. and most advice on there is NEED to know information. alot of people don't realize what it takes to have that type of dog that just loves everybody,and is bomb proof when it comes to children and unknown people.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
If you don't mind me asking...(just curious?)...how old are you?
I ask this because you have mentioned "your mother" a couple of times......
Robin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm 19, i don't mind you asking. lol. and yes i still haven't unstuck myself from my mothers hip, me and my fiance live by ourselves here in indy, i'm pregnant and due in april, and my momma doesn't want to miss out on her grand daughters birth and life, who am i to deny her of that? her and my dad split up after 7 kids, and the family holds her from her grandkids, all except for me. i chose to stay with her when they divorced. so she's wanting johnathan and i to come out there to ohio with her, johnathan get a better job out there(right now he has a servers job, 2.13 an hour plus tips, average indianapolis shitball job) and then us start a life. my mom is a HUGE part of my life. i will prolly mention her alot in random threads, lol. She's my role model!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would not wait two weeks to get this puppy to the vet. He needs an exam, probable worming, flea removal, shots, and who knows what else, right now.

Unfortunately, your picking up this puppy - that it sounds like you can't afford to take care of and you have a baby on the way - will just keep these people breeding more of them. The only way to stop BYBs is to not buy their puppies.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Thanks for responding.
I suspected that you may be of the younger generation. I mean nothing negative by this.
As for being close to "mom"....that's great! My daughter (22+) and I are very close....and lives with me.
*As someone has already clearly stated...you need to get this young puppy examined first & foremost by a vet. *
Besides for obvious health reasons.....puppies can also harbor parasites that can be transmitted to humans...."thinking of your pregnancy).
Keep posting....there are many helpful people of this forum!
Best wishes,
Robin

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Hey ArlennJohn!

If you put a rough location in your information, it will help us to recommend places to buy food, take puppy classes, socialize, etc. You don't have to put an exact location, but something like "Outside Dallas" or "South New Jersey" would help.

If you have a Costco nearby, their Kirkland Super Premium food is probably the best you can get for your money. If not, 4Health at Tractor Supply is good and relatively inexpensive as well. Both are better and cheaper than Iams.

The only way to tell if he has hip dysplasia is by having his hips X-rayed, which he is too young for. A lot of showline German Shepherds have kind of loose, wobbbly hips as puppies. He may have some structural problems and he may not. I would definitely not do a lot of running on hard surfaces or jumping until he's around a year old.

Get that puppy to a vet! He needs shots and dewormer ASAP!

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't afford to have a puppy? my last dog was with me for two years, and he never went a day without eating,exercising, or went without vet care, my vet told me he was a very healthy and fit dog.i love all animals no matter where they come from nor how they were brought into this world. Compared to other types of people that live in this city, i think he's in pretty good hands. he could of been bought and flipped multiple times for money by multiple different hustlers in the streets because of his breed.

Robin, i dewormed him already, after the first night so he could eat and get semi comfy. he did as i assumed, had them pretty bad. I might not have to wait two weeks, like i said we are getting our car plated as soon as we can because we are moving. so the quicker i get it plated the quicker he can get his vacc's. just don't want to drive illegal.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
He will need to be dewormed a couple more times....they are not all gone.
I would worm him 2 more times @10 days.....then do another fecal.
Robin

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Do you have a Petsmart near you? They have Banfield's and they have a great puppy plan that will save you tons of money...all dewormers, vaccines, office visits, heartworm test, fecals, and a spay/neuter are included, it can help you a ton get through the first year with all the "puppy stuff". Just a thought.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I can vouche for the 4health brand from tractor supply. My dogs love it and are doing a lot better on it than they were when i had them on purina. i've been spazzy about my pups hips since i brought her home. She's 8 months old now. Brought her home when she was 3 months old. She has an arch in her back and the way she moved made me (still kinda does) worry but i noticed this afternoon that her legs dont move as funny in the back and her back is actually not as bad as i was originally thinking. I'm still keeping an eye on her but i would say your pup is too young to be able to tell if there are hip and or back problems going on. keep in mind he'll also go through a goofy gangly stage that will probably remind you greatly of a teenage boy who hasnt hit puberty yet and has nothing but skin and bones going on. lol. Just step back, breath and go from there. I honestly wouldnt worry until your pup is older. Puppies move funny. especially GSD pups.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
just want to mention about the doing your own vac's. While it's cost effective, with a young puppy, would you know what to do if he had an allergic reaction to the shot?

Highly recommend either having a vet do it, or petsmart/petco vet visit where it may be cheaper, unless of course you know what to do should the puppy have an allergic reaction to the vac your giving

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Absolutely take the puppy to a vet, yesterday. For all we know he could have distemper. Given the description of the breeder I personally would not trust anything they said as far as the age or whatever dewormers or vaccinations were given (if any). IMO even discussing dog food at this point is premature. Unless the pup is a LOT younger than they said, which would explain the loose movement, I would be concerned enough to have the pup in the vet that day. Actually the breeders I've purchase from have required me to have my new puppy vetted within 72 hours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts