German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread for people to post their recipes.

Admin

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Made with people or made with animals?

Thank you, I'll be here all week...

Ah, I was hoping someone would ask (because I did as well)!

Okay, sorry. For people. In fact, there are some for people recipes I think that could be fished out the dog recipe section.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
<span style="color: #339999">Cindy's Warm Pasta Salad
What you’ll need:
(this is all according to taste of course ~ just make sure you have lots of ingredients!)

Sun dried tomatoes
Olives (black or green)
Two bunches scallions
Mushrooms (canned or fresh)
Asparagus
A couple garlic cloves
Extra Virgin (or light tasting) olive oil. About ¼ cup for pan & finishing.
Garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. Fresh grated Parmesan or other hard Italian cheese.

1 pound pasta (I like angel hair or bowtie)</span>

<span style="color: #6633FF">Cook 1 lb pasta according to directions. (I use the kind in the yellow box or the purple box – half whole grain type).
Cook asparagus & set aside.

You may have to soften the tomatoes … just soak them in warm water for 10 minutes or so before frying them.

Simmer in large frying pan cut up scallions, mushrooms, garlic cloves & anything else you have until onions & garlic are soft.

Toss the Sun dried tomatoes & asparagus into the frying pan for several minutes – then transfer whole concoction to pasta.

Add Olive Oil, garlic powder salt & pepper to taste.
Top with grated cheese while warm.</span>

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Jeanne Mancini's Osso Buco recipe.

2 veal shanks
1/4 c. flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 T. buitter
3 T opil
1 c. onion, coarsely chopped
1 c. pared sliced carrots
1/2 c. diced celery
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 c. dry white wine
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp thyme
3 parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf

Gremolata:
2 T. parsley
2. T. chopped celery
1 T grated lemon peel
1 tsp. crushed garlic

Have butcher cross-cut veal shinbones into 3-inch pieces (make sure they have plenty of meat and marrow.). Tie each piece with string to hold meat together.

Combine flour, salt and pepper, and rub mixture into veal shaks, coating them well all over. Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat, and brown shanks well on all sides, about 30 minutes. Remove meat and set aside.

To dripping in pot add onions, carrot, celery and garlic. Saute, stirring until onion is tender. Add tomato sauce, wine, basil, thyme, parsley and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat and add veal. Place in upright position so that round marrow bone faces up (best done with tongs). The liquid should come halfway up the shaks. Simmer, covered, 2 1/2 hours or until very tender.

Prepare gremolata: combine all ingredients. Mix well. Add half to the veal shanks and simmer 5 minutes. Remover strings from meat, arrange on serving plate, and add rest of gremolate on top.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Bon Appetit Magazine
October 1990
Submitted by Ellen Slaby, Brookline, MA

1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cups water
1 17-ounce can creamed corn
1 17-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Chopped fresh chives

Place first 3 ingredients in heavy large Dutch oven. Pour water over. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in both cans of corn, cream and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 8 minutes. Garnish soup with chives.

Serves 6 to 8

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I hope people keep posting recipes Not sure of the title of this recipe but its easy

rotini pasta-cooked
ham cubed
cheese -cubed
tomatoes(The tiny ones) cut in half
cover in Italian dressing--You can add other things to it

Thanks for starting a recipe thread!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Donna Dubuque’s

Butternut Squash Soup with
Parmesan cheese and Fresh Sage

1 medium Butternut Squash
2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
1 medium onion chopped fine
2 ½ cups vegetable stock(or water)
1 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper
½ to ¾ c half and half or whole milk
12 fresh sage leaves
6 TBSP Parmesan cheese – grated fine

Clean squash; peel and scoop out seeds and pulp. Cut into ½” and reserve 2. In a large cook pot, melt butter and wilt onions until soft add squash and cook 2-4 minutes more stir to incorporate.

3. Add stock (or water) , salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes; until squash is tender . Transfer mix to blender , blend until smooth. Add ½ to ¾ c half and half (or milk) and adjust seasoning as you wish.
Ladle soup into bowls sprinkle 1 TBSP parmesan and a leaf of fresh sage to the top, serve.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Cara's Wrapped Asparagus

<u>For the Marinade</u>
Olive Oil ~ 1” in a plastic container w/lid
Garlic 2-3 tbs
Italian Seasonings
Salt / Pepper- 1 tbs each

<u>For the Cheese Mixture</u>
1 package (5.2 oz.) Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs
or Substitute -cream cheese w/ lots of fresh garlic and Italian Seasonings
1 Red Apple- Pealed and Diced <u>extremely</u> fine

Prosciutto sliced as thin as the deli can (the pack from Costco works well)
10 large Asparagus or 20 medium (2 med/roll)

The How To~
1. Remove the ends off the asparagus by snapping them. Place them in the plastic container with the marinade and shake vigorously. Allow to sit for over 10 minutes, the longer the better.
2. Grill the Asparagus until tender and allow them to cool.
3. Make the cheese mixture by combining the Boursin cheese and apple. Place a spoonful of this mixture on a thin slice of prosciutto, put the asparagus in the mixture and roll the prosciutto up. Hold it together with toothpick if necessary.
4. Pam a baking pan and add the wrapped asparagus. Throw into the oven at around 350 for 20 minutes.
5. Serve warm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Corn-Chive Pudding

Corn-Chive Pudding

20 oz. fresh corn, when in season

-or-

two 10 oz. pks. frozen corn

-or-

1 can whole kernal corn
1 can cream corn

When using fresh or frozen, coursely grind half in food processor

1/4 C sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs (large)
2 C milk
1 vanilla bean - split lenghtwise and scrape out seeds, pod may be used for something else
-or-
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C butter (1 stick) melted and slightly cooled
4 tbsp flour
1/4 C chopped chives + 3 tbsp chopped chives for garnish

Preheat oven to 325. Butter 1-1/2 quart quiche dish (deep dish pie pan will work). Put corn in large bowl, sprinkle in sugar and salt and stir until well combined. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla seeds (or extract), butter, flour and 1/4 C chives and pour over corn mixture. Stir until well combined and pour into buttered dish. Bake just until center is set, 40-45 minutes. Garnish with 3 tbsp chives.

*If at all possible, use the vanilla bean seeds, the flavor is unbeatable!*

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This is a really good recipe and makes lots! Even my picky eater loved it

Baked Spaghetti

Ingredients
• 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 2 eggs
• 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 5 tablespoons butter, melted
• 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
• 4 cups (16 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
• Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
• Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
• Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Spicy curry chicken with a mango/coconut puree

Spicy curry chicken with a mango/coconut puree
This is a FAV at my house, I make it once a week and it’s ridiculously easy.

Ingredients
2 Mangos, peeled and sliced, divided
1 can of coconut milk
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 teaspoons spicy curry paste (I use Patak’s curry paste)
1 lb of chicken cut in pieces
4 medium shallots, sliced

Directions
Place half of the mango slices into the bowl of a blender with the coconut milk. Blend until smooth and reserve for later.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the curry paste, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the chicken and shallots; cook until the chicken is done and the shallots have softened, about 5 minutes.

Pour in the mango puree, and cook until heated through. To serve, stir in the remaining mango slices.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tator Tot Casserole

Ingredients:

1-2 pounds of ground beef, browned and drained
1 can of cream of chicken soup (do not dilute)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (do not dilute)
8-12 ounces of your favorite shredded cheese (I use colby jack)
1 bag of frozen tator tots
salt and pepper (and or other seasonings) to taste

Combine the browned ground beef with the two cans of soup and spread the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese liberally over the mixture. Top with the frozen tator tots. It's up to you how many tots you use. Line 'em up in a row all nice and neat or toss the whole bag on top and spread around.

Bake @ 375 degrees for 40 minutes or so. You want the tops of the tots to be brown and crispy.

Note: Because I live down here in the South, I brown up some onion, garlic, celery and bell-pepper first and then add in my ground beef. You may also use ground turkey or ground pork. Or... heh.. all three if you want.

This meal is cheap if made by the above instructions. On average you'll spend roughly around 10 bucks for the ingredients. It's tasty, quick, cheap and most all kids LOVE it.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Crock Pot Lasagna

Layer your lasagna makings starting with sauce on the bottom like you normally would, turn crockpot on low and cook for 8 hours. Great for immediate leftovers, does not freeze well.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts