German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3 month GSD that has had vulva issues since we got her (at 10 weeks). At first, we noticed that the hair surrounding her vulva was matted, sticky, and had dark brown sticky "discharge". This looked like old pee to us so we thought she just was not cleaning herself often enough or efficiently enough. After a vet visit, the vet told us that she had a skin infection so she went on a round of antibiotics. The same symptoms persisted. We then got a second opinion, this vet told us her had a recessed vulva which requires surgery to fix (although there are some that have had the issue resolve on its own after 1 or 2 heats). We took her back to the first vet to discuss options and the findings of the second opinion and we were told that she just has vaginitis. The discharge, we were told, was puss (I work in the medical field and this does not look like puss to me) and that the discharge of puss was causing the rash-like appearance around the vulva. The vet told us to keep the area clean, something I have been doing since the day we got her with any wipes. The vet also discovered after shaving the area around the vulva that she had small pustules - unrelated to the vaginitis- and put her on another round of antibiotics.

She was also under weight- according to the vet- and "should be fed any amount whenever she feels hungry"

We are convinced she has a recessed vulva causing all the above symptoms. We also are not fond of keeping her on rounds of antibiotics.

Any insight would be great,
Thank you!

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Leaving her intact will allow the vulva to grow mature and most likely solve the issue. Do not spay her until her vulva is healthy. Deja had a similar issue when young and this is just what my vet told me. I wasn't planning on spaying her anyway and after her first heat, it was all OK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts