German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing wolfdog people saying some GSD lines have recent wolf heritage. In my 10 years in the breed and 6 or 7 years on this forum (different account) I have never heard of reputable breeders adding wolf to their lines. Anyone care to shed some light on this? I didn't think it was something happening with responsible breeders.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
They're either ignorant or outright lying.

No line of GSD has recent wolf heritage. 100 years ago during the development of the breed some experimentation with crossing in European wolves happened, and was quickly abandonned and steered away from.

Besides, crossing in anything else, be it wolf or another breed of dog, would make the resulting offspring no longer purebred anything, but mutts.

I guess someone could sneak something else in and falsify paperwork, lying about parentage. But the only way to have a purebred dog is to breed it from two purebred parents and that means no mixing. Mix something in and it would cease to be a GSD with GSD lines.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
News to me. Where exactly are you hearing this?

Aren't the good breeders trying to produce sound and stable nerves? I'd think adding unknown wolf dog lines would have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Chris! That is exactly what I thought but wanted input to back me up before I said something.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I imagine since we have had more folks buying / breeding sables folks came up with that but sables have been in the breed its entire time.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Had someone reply to me with this link Blue Bay Shepherds - Home.
Its a whole new breed...like the shiloh shepherd. Although the GSD is clearly heavily used in developing that new breed its not registered as a GSD and the face clearly doesn't look like a GSD. So I believe even if a few rogue breeders decided to mix in some wolf into their lines it probably didn't cause even a blip on the whole population of GSDs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Im not sure why that website was used as a defense. That breeder openly admits to creating a whole new breed. No where does she claim they are GSDs, just that she uses GSDs.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
They are not *German Shepherd Dog* breeders. They have taken GSDs with disqualifying faults, crossed them with some wolf and who knows what else, to create yet another "designer breed" of mutts. Those dogs are no more GSD than a Labradoodle is a Lab, or a Poodle. Nor are those people claiming to breed GSDs. They're pretty upfront that this is something different. What they're doing is as different and completely unrelated from what GSD people are doing as the doodles are from what the Lab and Poodle people are doing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very true. Which is why I don't understand why people are still trying to say that GSD breeders are adding wolf to their lines. The people doing this do not claim to be GSD breeders. It's all very frustrating. I've been trying to clear up some misinformation about our beloved breed over there.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Very true. Which is why I don't understand why people are still trying to say that GSD breeders are adding wolf to their lines. The people doing this do not claim to be GSD breeders. It's all very frustrating. I've been trying to clear up some misinformation about our beloved breed over there.
There was a funny picture posted in a thread yesterday that kind of reminds me of this.

I'm not trying to make fun or mock you, so please don't take it that way. It's just there's idiots all over the internet. Most of them are just completely clueless and there's no talking sense into them. Just let it be and try not to let it bother you.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
From what I've read, the original GSD, about 100 years ago was bred with about 5% wolf in it. According to the Feb 2012 National Geographic, they analyzed the DNA of 85 breeds, the GSD's carried some the the least wolf-like genes - they are considered Mastifflike. The breeds with the most wolf-like genes were the chow chow, akita, shiba inu. I don't know why anyone would want a pet with wolf in it. My neighbor told me many communities have laws about having wolf mixed dog.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
From what I've read, the original GSD, about 100 years ago was bred with about 5% wolf in it. According to the Feb 2012 National Geographic, they analyzed the DNA of 85 breeds, the GSD's carried some the the least wolf-like genes - they are considered Mastifflike. The breeds with the most wolf-like genes were the chow chow, akita, shiba inu. I don't know why anyone would want a pet with wolf in it. My neighbor told me many communities have laws about having wolf mixed dog.
I'm not trying to claim to be a historian of this breed because I'm definitely not, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Stephanitz was strongly against this. He wanted absolutely no wolf incorporated in this breed.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
They aren't talking about german shepherd lines the way we talk about them (showline, workingline, ddr, etc) which are purebred lines, they mean lines of dogs that originated from german shepherds but are not purebred german shepherds. They consider shiloh shepherds a german shepherd 'line'. The line of german shepherd they are talking about with recent wolf heritage is the sarloos wolfdog, the Czechoslovakian wolfdog, and the tamaskan wolfdog. Although I can't remember which one has all the drama about there being or not being recent wolf heritage.

They are just using the word 'line' with a different definition than we use.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm not trying to claim to be a historian of this breed because I'm definitely not, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Stephanitz was strongly against this. He wanted absolutely no wolf incorporated in this breed.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
You could be right. Two years ago when we were about to get our GSD, my husband showed me an article about the breed having started with that small percentage of wolf, I did not believe him, but read what he showed me and then found another source that said the same thing. Anyway, that was the only reason I could find for someone thinking a GSD had wolf heritage, besides their looks. The point is, it is stupid and dangerous to want a dog with wolf mix and for "breeders" to promote it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
From what I've read, Stephanitz was strongly against adding any more wolf to the breed. He already got what he wanted out of the use of wolfdogs, and he thought any more wolf traits would not be moving the breed in the direction he wanted.

Personally, mixing a german shepherd with a wolfdog doesn't make much sense to me, and it seems like it's only done because german shepherds have a wolfy appearance. Mixing something so powerful and instinctually fearful of humans with something that is supposed to be suspicious of strangers and protective(which means it is willing to engage with a human) sounds like the perfect recipe for a fearful aggressive dog. Using northern breeds makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a funny picture posted in a thread yesterday that kind of reminds me of this.

I'm not trying to make fun or mock you, so please don't take it that way. It's just there's idiots all over the internet. Most of them are just completely clueless and there's no talking sense into them. Just let it be and try not to let it bother you.
Lol I do agree with the humor there. Only reason im saying anything to them is because they are also on MY group saying these things. I have an informational group that I run so naturally false information on an informational group isn't very useful :) I don't go out of my way to correct people or lose sleep over it though lol!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They aren't talking about german shepherd lines the way we talk about them (showline, workingline, ddr, etc) which are purebred lines, they mean lines of dogs that originated from german shepherds but are not purebred german shepherds. They consider shiloh shepherds a german shepherd 'line'. The line of german shepherd they are talking about with recent wolf heritage is the sarloos wolfdog, the Czechoslovakian wolfdog, and the tamaskan wolfdog. Although I can't remember which one has all the drama about there being or not being recent wolf heritage.

They are just using the word 'line' with a different definition than we use.
Normally I would agree that this is the case, but I've seen them specifically say that GSD breeders do it too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts