German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been around much because I've been rediculously busy with work and family. This incident happened during my absence from the site for the last few weeks.

I have neighbors who have an aggressive Rottie/lab mix that has slipped his collar on numerous occasions and bolted into my yard to attack my dogs and charge us.

The first 4 times, it didn't result in any injuries.

The first time, the dog had rushed me, grabbed the rake in my hand and attempted to rip it out of my hand. Where I was raking, you can’t see unless you come around the back of our house behind the garage. I had to kick him in the face with my work boots 3 times to get him to let go of the rake and citronella spray him. Then I chased him out of the yard, yelling “GET OUTTA HERE!!!, GIT!!!!”. I had drawn a crowd on that on. First offence and AC was called.

I had my Pom outside once and he charged after my Pom and attempted to bite him. If I hadn’t been standing right there and able to pick up my little crippled guy, he would be dead. I sprayed him again with citronella spray. Second offence and AC was called.

I live in a wooded area and we have raccoons and fisher cats. I never go in the back yard without the spray hanging from my belt.

I was holding a class in the back yard and had 8 dogs and people at the house. He charged into the yard and went after one of the dogs, a 12 week old shepherd. I ran between them and was able to drop a noose around his neck with the leash I had in my hand after I sprayed him with citronella. Then I wrapped part of the leash around his snout to make a muzzle so I could drag him out of the yard. All I could think of is how I was going to become a chew toy for this dog. The dog was flailing around like fish out of water. I had both hands on the leash, right next to his face, and I was tossing the dog in the air, spinning in a circle to keep him off balance. I have NO idea how that worked and how I was able to grab him like that but it worked?? I brought the dog back over to the yard (no one was home?) and flipped it to the ground. I threw my body weight on it and laid there for a while trying to figure out how to get it back on it’s tie out. The dog was grunting and growling the whole time. One of my students came over and tightened the collar and we were able to put it back on it’s collar. I left the leash wrapped around it’s face and clipped it to itself to keep it on. I finished the class (barely) as I was shaking like crazy. 3 hours later, the wife came home. I ran across the street and confronted her. The dog was still wearing the leash around his face until that point. I was afraid it would slip the collar again and start terrorizing the neighborhood. Plus I was too freaked out to unwrap it’s face. It was only 60 degrees but I was worried with him being in the sun he would get sick, so I sat on the porch and watched him to make sure he would be ok. After I talked to the wife, she took the dog inside and returned with my leash. He was surprisingly calm. I think he wore himself out fighting so hard. Third offence and AC was called.

He had charged me while I was grilling and I had to citronella spray it to get it to back away. When he ran out of our yard, he ran into another neighbor's yard and started attacking their little dog. Our neighbor was screaming "let go, you're killing him". I heard this and ran up the side of the house and chased the dog out of HIS yard too. I was hosing it and screaming at it again. My neighbor rushed his dog into the Evet for treatment. He had 11 bite punctures of varying degree. The Rottie picked him up and shook him like a rag doll (chi mix). My neighbor didn't do anything about the attack. I told him to call AC but he didn't want to so he let it go. I called AC but they wouldn't take even a report because they said my neighbor would have to call and he wasn't willing to.

I had numerous conversations with the owners and AC was all 4 times. They took reports only for 3 of the times since there were no injuries. I had video and pictures but they told me they couldn't really do anything until there is a real injury to us or the dog, not just fear or scratches There are a ton of kids in the neighborhood and that dog could easily kill one. The dog is around 80 lbs and just a year old.

The 5 time, he sank his teeth into our grey’s tender skin on her neck and she ended up with 4 stitches. It could have been far worst, except my husband got in the middle with a shovel he picked up and hit the dog. It ran back to its house and barked at him from the driveway. This was at 9 pm. After she received her stitches, I brought her home and called a friend on the PD. We (myself, my husband and our friend in the PD) walked over to their house at 1 am and banged on their door, woke up the whole house. I was pissed and my adrenaline was still pumping. I was about to unleash fury on him but when he opened the door in his underwear (tighty whities), I relaxed a little and took a deep breath. With my friend and my husband standing right next to me, I told them they had 3 choices:

1. confine their dog in an outside secure run
2. re-home their dog to someone who could rehabilitate it or
3. come home to find their dog's body on their front porch. If your dog comes in our yard again and comes after us or our dogs, I will be forced to do the unthinkable and kill it. “

The guy looked at me and said "we'll buy a run tomorrow". I said "good, now you owe me $492 for the trip to the E-vet, stitches and medication for my dog that your dog injured". I also told him "I tried to handle this like a good neighbor. I talked to you, I gave you every opportunity to prevent this. You're lucky that all she got was stitches, antibiotics, and pain meds. If your dog had done this to a child, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Your dog would be dead and you'd be arrested, as I would see to it".

My friend says "Your dog's aggression is WELL documented and you could be arrested and charged with manslaughter right now if this had happened to a child. I will be back at the end of the week to make sure you have a secure kennel installed".

Whether or not that really would have happened is unknown, but it scared him into doing the right thing. I wanted the guy to know how serious I was, so I asked a friend to help scare him. Neither the PD or AC can do anything but take reports. Of course, I had no intention of harming his dog more than I needed to, but I wanted to make it clear that this was the end of me being nice if he wasn’t going to anything about the impending doom he was unleashing on the neighborhood. I still hate the fact I had to do what I did, but I don’t think I had a choice and AC is useless, completely usless!

The next day, the neighbor started construction on a kennel. My husband went over there and helped him install it. That was a month ago, and all has been well ever since. The neighbor has even come and asked me to help him fix his dog’s issues. He knows what I do for a living and wants to hire me to help him. I decided I would do it for the dog.

The day after the kennel was installed (2 days after the attack), I called AC and told them what had happened. They told me now they can issue a dangerous dog notice. I told them not to bother as it’s been handled. There was dead silence on the phone. I told them “to have a nice day” and hung up. The guy showed up at my house an hour later to find out what was going on. I told him that it took me threatening to harm his animal for him to listen. I also told them that I find it ridiculous that they WON’T do anything until there is an injury. They said it is in the bylaws. I started the process of lobbying the town council to change the bylaws but there is so much legal jargon that I don’t understand, so I’ve sought the help of a lawyer friend to help me.
I’ve had a dozen conversations with the guy since then. I also visited his dog when it was outside. Dropping bits of chicken between the fence so he can have a snack. He told me he got the dog for protection, but didn’t know the difference between protection and aggression. He was trying to keep his family safe, but got in way over his head with a breed he knew nothing about. He was perplexed as to how his dog could be so aggressive towards other dogs and other people but not to his kids or his wife. I’ve been educating him on the difference and trying to help him understand how dangerous aggression can be.
My dog has healed up nicely. Her hair is growing back from where they shaved her. We are calling her Patchy Mc Scraggly right now because she looks horrible with the patches and scars. She hasn’t really been affected mentally by that attack. It’s sad how she was attacked while popping. She looks around now to make sure nothing is around her when she goes.. LOL

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
That's ridiculous that this has happened so many times. Either step it up from citronella to pepper spray or just shoot the dog if it's attacking you or one of your dogs again.

Once is an honest mistake. Anything after that is just inexcusable. My safety and the safety of my pets is a whole lot more important than my relationship with some idiot neighbor.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Ah geez...

I would have had him pegged as dangerous dog for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts