German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am allergic to cats. My wife has 2/40 cats remaining, we lost the Manx a few weeks ago to cancer.

The sun shone in the living room last night, and she' was fascinated by the sheer amount of dust in the air - I was horrified. We have a robot sweeping up after the cats, but it and my 5 separate daily medications are not keeping up.

Any recommendations on air purifiers? Thinking about just a room-sized one for my safe space. Right now it only smells of gun oil, not cats. But we track cat dander in every time we open the door.

·
Super Moderator
32,110 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Read Consumer Reports write ups on air purifiers (you can pay a couple of bucks to subscribe to digital for a month, and then cancel, or get it from your local library). The electrostatic ones tend to make indoor air WORSE by creating harmful ozone.

If you're getting an air purifier, invest in a HEPA one (multiple filters have to be replace regularly). Costco actually has a pretty good room-size true-HEPA devices -- sometimes in the store, but always online too. Buy filter replacements at the same time so that you aren't tempted not to change them on schedule, as the effectiveness of it really depends on doing that.

Cat dander is HARD to clean effectively. I'm seriously allergic to it, and vacuuming and putting the cats in a different room does nothing to help me get through a visit to a home where they live. You should probably invest in a steam cleaner for your rugs, furniture, etc. so that you can regularly clean those items to reduce the dander on those surfaces. To reduce tracking the dander in, I'd also recommend a "no shoes" rule in your safe room--all shoes get left outside the door (you can have clean slippers inside the door to put on).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts