German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Adopted a 3.5 month old pup from a shelter a few days ago and he appears to have a lot of GSD in him. Noticed today that he has rear dewclaws. From what I've seen researching the topic, some breeders frequently see this trait pop up in GSDs and others never see it pop up in GSDs. Seems to run in certain blood lines. From what I've read, it seems that most are removed when pups are a couple days old. Questions:

1) Should I have the rear dewclaws removed?
2) How urgent is this surgery? Should I wait to combine it with his neutering? I'm currently leaning towards neutering him at about 12 months.
3) Has anyone been through this before with a dog older than a few weeks?
4) Any idea how complicated this procedure is with a juvenile/adult dog?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I would have the dewclaws removed. Have you asked your vet what the right time to do it would be?

If it were me, I would wait and do it when the dog is getting neutered. I would like to avoid putting the dog under anesthesia as much as possible, so you may as well get it done when he's already asleep for the neuter.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Talk to your vet. Some dewclaws are attached and some aren't. If they aren't, I would remove them.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I wouldn't really know.

Mei has front dewclaws though and someone asked me just the other day about them and if I was getting them removed. I am totally against the idea and said never. I have two cats as well and will never de-claw them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone! My pup, Rocko, is going to his first vet visit in two days so I'll be sure to ask him about it. I was just curious if anyone had personal experience dealing this with a GSD older than a few weeks.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
All shepherds have front dewclaws. Don't remove those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts