German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Two weeks ago my 2yr old GSD ate starting heaving and gulping we took her to the vet and she had to be knocked out and had grass seeds removed from her throat and tongue. The day after she started throwing up and just hasn't been right since. She keep eating grass to make herself sick and her tummy is making all kinds of wierd noises. She is also making moaning noises like she is in pain and just isnt herself at all.

We have had her back to the vet 3 more times for antibiotic injections and when we mentioned her tummy noises she gave up Tagamet for tummy acid. She said to bring her back in 5 days if she wasnt better!! I dont think its acid and I am worried she may has a grass seed stuck in her tummy or intestine and its making her ill.

We got a rescue GSD around the same time this happened and he has bronchitis so is also on antibiotics. Could he have given her something??

Claire x

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I haven't had a Hooligan with bronchitis in a long time, but I can't recall this type of behavior with the problem.

Has your vet x-rayed her digestive tract? If not, this would be my first suggestion to ensure there's not a partial blockage somewhere.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I had something similar happen with Chama a long time ago. The gurgling stomach noises ARE excessive acid. In addition to the loud gurgling noises Chama was really not feeling well at all. She even had trouble sleeping! What I finally figured out is that she was allergic to the main protein in her diet: turkey. Once I removed the turkey from her diet she was absolutely fine again!

So I'm wondering if this could be a food allergy that you're seeing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She gets dried food all the time but the puppy has been having mixed dry and tinned meat to build him up. I wonder if it could be something in the meat I have been buying. I gave her some too so that she didn't feel left out. Thanks very much she is due a check up in a couple of days so I will mention this to the vet and see what she thinks.

I knew I would get some advice from you all thanks a bunch I will keep you posted what she says.

The little fella is due to get his jabs tomorrow and his passport but only if his bronchitis has cleared so fingers crossed. Poor thing was covered in about 30 ticks when he was rescued. Someone dumped 5 of them in a box at the side of the road in the rain thats how he has a poorly chest.

Claire x

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would put her on the chichen and white rice diet for a few days. See if the gurgling is gone by then. Maybe the bland food will clear out the bad .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiya

Well Neesha seems to have made a full recovery after a week of ant-acids and her regular dried food only. For 2 days I gave her chicken and plain boiled pasta and she is right as rain. No gulping, eating grass or looking sad she is as lively as ever.

Kaiser our rescue pup is on the mend too his bronchitis had improved enough to have his jabs the other day so wont be long before he can go out and about.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Claire x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts