German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the past couple of weeks, there has been a family sitting on the corner near our housing area selling various puppies of various ages all in a puppy pen for $300 or more. NONE of these dogs have been seen by a vet so no shots, no worming meds, not a darn thing. They're adorable yeah. BUT they're also sick. I was checking the local yard sale site this afternoon and came across this post....

Please I need information about a woman selling puppies on the corner of Western and Lejeune over the weekend. I bought a Rottweiler from her for $300 She has been great, until I took her to the vet today and she was diagnosed with the Parvovirus. My husband and I are devastated. Its a horrible virus and all I can do is sit and watch her be miserable. Please all I need is a name and number if she has more puppies they will be infected to and anymore she has for up to 6 months. If you got puppies from her take them to the vet!!! Please anyone contact me (phone numberdeleted for obvious reasons). Or email me.

I feel bad that they not only got duped out of a good chunk of money, but that they're now dealing with a VERY sick puppy with obviously no way of getting their money back or anything. and we know with parvo theres no way to say for sure if the pups will even survive with treatment. Wish people would learn. Seeing the shelter here and the fact there are constantly puppies being sold on various corners throughout the year, there is no chance i would go through them ever. It seriously sucks these people are in this situation but they did it to themselves. Not only did they buy a corner sale pup but they didnt immediately take her to the vet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
And this is why instead of investing $2,000 in a dog or housing (feeding, vetting) 20 dogs indefinitely those that care about dogs should be spending money on education instead of no kill shelters.

You can rescue as many dogs as you want but until you educate it is a cycle.

·
Registered
572 Posts
How sad. People just can't pass up cute puppies. Impulse puppy purchases from some guy on the corner. Ugh.:(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Uh, I know. I was an impulse puppy buyer. We found some puppies on CL, went to look, and came home with one (Arlo). We didn't have any problems other than some allergies with him, but I know it could have been alot worse, and we didn't support a good cause.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thank God our city just passed an ordinance banning the sell of dogs/puppies on the street or parking lots, also those folks that think it is ok to leave their dog chained in the yard for 24 hrs. a day. There cant be a very good outcome for those little guys in a crate , in the sun for hours waiting for a soft hearted person to take them home. I hate people who randomly have litters of puppies or kittens so they can make the fast money on them. Yeah, I said hate. I know it happens by acciident sometimes , but not just for money....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How sad. People just can't pass up cute puppies. Impulse puppy purchases from some guy on the corner. Ugh.:(

its even more sad because they are OBVIOUSLY a BYB/puppymill situation because when they first showed up, they had around 20 -25 pups all different breeds and people kept buying. I'm sure some of the pups died because they were gone just way too fast. I adore looking and playing with puppies but i avoid the corner sellers like the plague. no matter how cute i know those pups are. way too many risks.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank God our city just passed an ordinance banning the sell of dogs/puppies on the street or parking lots, also those folks that think it is ok to leave their dog chained in the yard for 24 hrs. a day. There cant be a very good outcome for those little guys in a crate , in the sun for hours waiting for a soft hearted person to take them home. I hate people who randomly have litters of puppies or kittens so they can make the fast money on them. Yeah, I said hate. I know it happens by acciident sometimes , but not just for money....

yeah i hate it too. Accidents happen which is understandable but breeding for a quick buck.... no. a minor adoption fee is okay but not what they're charging for these pups who are obviously sick.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thank God our city just passed an ordinance banning the sell of dogs/puppies on the street or parking lots
I would sure like to see something like that here. We do have folks passing around a petition to get a measeure on next Fall's ballot to prevent puppies and kittens from being sold in pet stores. There has been a fair bit of resistance, unfortunately. I would imagine something prohibiting the sale of animals from corners and parking lots might also be tricky to pass.

This is a pretty dog friendly and dog savvy town, so many people would not buy from a petshop or corner. There are, however, people that resent any restrictions on where they buy their animals from. Seems like a lot of them just aren't intersested in hearing about any risks associated with getting a pup from a sketchy source.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Actually the new ordinance is also a Texas State ordinance. We just adopted it as our own. It comes from cruel and inhumane treatment of animals. The tie-out law also includes a reasonable shelter etc. In Texas and most southern states it is so hot iin the summer when most of this goes on, that you are only allowed to have your dogs tied outside for a few hours. I am not seeing alot of abiding this law but, the puppy sale is gone so far. I was hoping for the tie out law to stop the pitbull folks that put those tow chains , a foot long, on them and leave them outsiide during the weather. I think that behavior leads to nothing but an anxious, bad tempered dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts