German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am giving Roxy her morning "meal" out of her busy buddy mushroom. Now she looks like she's enjoying this but I'd be mad if somebody made me work for my morning bagel.
I think getting up is enough of a reason to get breakfast ;)

this is really ok???? I don't want to stress her out. She wolfs down her am meal though..and this is if nothing else making it last longer.

does anybody else feed like this????

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i get up. take the dog out. i feed him breakfast at 8am. don't
ask me why i feed him at 8am. his food and water are in bowls.
he doesn't have to do anything to be fed. when he was a pup
and in training sometimes i did a little training before breakfast.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think it is good mental stimulation to feed a dog out of a dispensing toy.
I do it with Tober when he is going to be crated, or I am limiting his exercise (like when he has a cut on his paw).
Mental exercise is as important and physical exercise.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I actually feed Chiefs meals out of multiple dispensing toys then I hide them and he has to find them. He eats a little out of his bowl while I hide them. He love love loves it!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well ...what would normally take 3 minutes tops to eat...took her about 1/2 hour. And now she's napping. I think she's ok with it. I don't think I'd do every meal like this but once in awhile just to mix things up might be ok :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did this almost every morning with my pup from 9 weeks up until about 4 or 5 months I think? She got a little bored after awhile and we stopped. A month or 2 later, now I use them on rainy days when we cant get out as much and she has a ball getting the food out. I think they are a remarkable tool!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont' know ;) if somebody puts my coffee in a dispenser with little holes and makes me work for it..somebody is gonna go down. ;)

no seriously this is a great idea and suggestions for a rainy day activity. She may get all her meals like this today..supposed to be 87 degrees and strong storms. I hate days where we cant go out ...blah

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I think it's fine. Maybe not every single morning meal. But GSD are thinkers, they like to figure something out, determined is what they are;)

·
5,627 Posts
I dont' know ;) if somebody puts my coffee in a dispenser with little holes and makes me work for it..somebody is gonna go down. ;)
LOL. True. But what are you doing while drinking your coffee? Sitting in a chair and staring at the wall or are you watching the news, on the computer, reading? You enjoy it over time, not gulp it down in 5 secs and left thinking "what do I do now?".

Throw this dog product away today! | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

There's a better blog about losing the food bowl but I can't find it right now. We moved to feeding in a bowl for convenience. Dog's don't care how they get their meals as long as they're fed.

My dogs get fed at odd times and I use meals for training as much as I can. Results: dogs are fed and happy and I never have someone begging for breakfast at 7am or dinner at 5pm.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that's true..I'm sipping it and watching the wildlife out in the yard , and reading on here..etc. Nice point ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Dogs dont think like we do. Gsd especially loves to work for their food. Sometimes I put his whole meal in a bunch of different ones and other times I put most in the bowl and some in one toy, so its always different and if I happen to just feed out of the bowl he still tries to find it. He just loves playing with the toy and a bonus is he gets tired and I dont have to do anything. He would rather use his toys than eat it in 30 seconds. There is nothing wrong with doing it often.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I have given WD a food dispenser with kibble only once. After that experience he would shove his full food bowl around as he did with the dispenser, resulting in kibble flying everywhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kylie was fed primarily through Kongs until she was about 6mo. At that point, I started just loading up one Kong and putting most of the rest of her food in her bowl. She still usually eats what's in the Kong first before eating what's in the bowl. I also sometimes load up the wobbler (actually a different brand, but don't remember its name), but it's really loud, so I don't use it very often.

Sometimes I will sit on the floor with a handful of kibble and toss pieces for her to go find and eat.

Sometimes I will toss a whole handful of kibble on the floor for her to get.

She seems to really enjoy having to work to get at her food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts